PDA

View Full Version : So we are not Podologists ?

dads tractor
8th July 2014, 08:27 PM
I'm feeling a bit left out because I have one foot in both camps , I have a TJM canopy on the tray but it,s not a Pod sometimes it,s a tray and then a camper .Is anyone else in the same boat and maybe post a couple of pics up for ideas. Maybe get a few ideas for water proofing ,how yours is set up etc. and what you want your ute to do.

Cuppa
8th July 2014, 09:46 PM
We still love you.

Maybe you could have associate podologist camping ute status...... LOL......... we’ll still talk to you!

I’m always interested in how others set up for travel, & even more interested in the travel they set up for. :)

dads tractor
13th July 2014, 01:35 PM
Thanks Cuppa .I,m on a slightly different tack to you guys that are full time poddies as I like the Versatile Independent Patrol that converts to a workhorse, bike carrier,and camper in about 1/2 hr .so will post some pics and ideas as I get into the project.(It will be basic)

Cuppa
13th July 2014, 04:14 PM
There is a downside to having a fulltime pod, particularly if decked out permanently like mine. Those with VIP’s of either the canopy or slide on flavour have a definite advantage for ‘home use’, where their vehicle can be ute - ilised :) as a ute. I can pull a fair bit of stuff out of mine to create some space to carry some things, but lack the versatility of a ute to cart larger items. Recently wanting to pick up just a couple of pergola posts at 2700mm long required the use of a trailer for example. Some Podders, have a setup where a clear space can be achieved in the Pod, Macca uses his to collect firewood. DX Grunt & GUCamper sleep inside the pod & also have simpler setups which allow greater versatility similar to, but not quite as much as a ‘VIP’ canopy.

The pods, at least of the ex telstra variety, by undoing just 8 bolts can be removed if the means of lifting them are available. If under tray accessories like gas bottle compartment & water container are not fitted access to all bolts would is straightforward. Swapping over to a ute tray would be relatively quick & painless. However add in a variety of electrical & water connections & no means of lifting, the task becomes complex enough to be something that just isn’t gunna happen.

dads tractor
14th July 2014, 08:36 AM
Cuppa 1 other advantage of a VIP is the weight factor as I know you struggled with yours to keep it light enough .Having said that there is always that peace of mind with the security and weather proofing of the Pods and given the Society we live in today that's worth gold.

Cuppa
14th July 2014, 09:30 AM
Yup weight is certainly a biggie. Removable fibreglass canopies win hands down, mainly because they are smaller, but a pod when compared to a slide-on has the advantage of needing no tray. Most slide-ons suitable for long term travel are likely to put the vehicle over their GVM. There is a lot of marketing where the weight figures are fudged. Being on or very close to the limit unladen easily puts the weight over once essentials like water, food, solar panels, batteries, fuel, people, clothing etc etc are added into the mix. Very much a case of buyer beware. (Caravans are even worse).

threedogs
14th July 2014, 12:41 PM
a smaller pod on the back of this would be my ideal set up.
A mate of mine has an extended GU with an enclosed canopy.
He goes all over the world with it, awesome for long distant touring
He runs Redline oil, in a 4.2 TD, would hate to think how many Ks it has done

dads tractor
14th July 2014, 02:17 PM
Threedogs would a pod that size be long enough to sleep in or is it manly for gear and a tent up top.

Don't worry about how many ks I talked to patrol owners dragging vans around the paddock and most had not put a spanner on them in 500k another had 800k and said it was only just run in lol

threedogs
14th July 2014, 04:33 PM
Yeah good point you can fit a 1800mm tray on the back of these dual cabs.
but you have a lot of overhang, so more touring not so much High Country stuff.
It would go any where you want to go. I think a roof top tent would suit it better
but Im not a fan of them, so maybe a side awning tent setup..
Cant stand getting dressed laying down