PDA

View Full Version : Is this standard height suspension

jayisbikes
7th July 2014, 09:49 PM
Hi I'm a newbie here and just starting to modify my gq for touring. I would like to know what I'm starting with and I'm not sure if my suspension is standard or lifted. I measure 540mm from hub centre to the bottom edge of the rubber flare on the front axle and 570 for the same on the rear. My truck is fitted with a TJM steel winch bar (no winch yet) and steel TJM brushbars/side steps. I imagine these accessories would sag the springs a bit. Any help would be appreciated :-)

MudRunnerTD
8th July 2014, 06:19 AM
Yes it is lifted for sure mate.

Can you post a pic of he yellow front shock.

What size tyres are they?

MEGOMONSTER
8th July 2014, 06:25 AM
It looks lifted, looking at the wheel arches.
The little tyres might make the gap bigger though.

Crate
8th July 2014, 06:26 AM
I am with mudrunner it is certainly lifted, if you put up some pictures of the radius arms at the front we may be able to tell you what the castor correction is (if any) or what else is non stardard with the suspension

Drewboyaus
8th July 2014, 07:19 AM
My bet is on 2 inch lift.....they look like 31 inch roadies that make the wheel arch clearance look bigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

jayisbikes
8th July 2014, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the help. Tyres are 31" roadies. I have got a couple of quick shots of the shocks and radius arms, let me know if you need more detail. Should I be worried about the lifespan of the rusty coil springs? It's a bit difficult to see in the pic but the rear radius arm doesn't look concentric but it may just be worn out.

Crate
8th July 2014, 11:35 AM
I am not familiar with that shock, someone else might be able to tell you. But if your radius arm bush's are not concentric (it could be wear) but is more likely that castor correction bushes have been put in like these:

http://www.roadrunneroffroad.com.au/2-degree-Aftermarket-Rubber-Castor-Correction-Bushes-Nissan-GQ-GU-Patrol--Landcruiser.html

Its probably a 2" lift, that little bit of rust on the springs I would not be concerned with, breaking springs is very uncommon.

jayisbikes
8th July 2014, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the advice on the springs Crate. Now I can spend the extra money on some new shocks, thinking tough dog adjustables and some 30mm spring spacers to lift the saggy front a little.

menace 2
8th July 2014, 12:58 PM
if you put the spacers in then you will may also need to alter a few other things too..(brake lines etc )...maybe someone else here can advise you better..wait and see what your new shocks do to the height difference...check your brake bias bracket on the back as I learnt here...easy to make your own .....I think you are betterto get someone to assess your suspension re the sag so that you are not chasing your tail and having to return to things etc

Crate
8th July 2014, 01:15 PM
In my opinion there is many better options than the tough dog adjustable's, from the more budget range to suit a 2" lift I would be using something from OME or EFS, they have a better reputation than Tough Dog.

To go up a level in quality (and price) a bit I would consider Radflo emulsion shocks.

jayisbikes
8th July 2014, 05:27 PM
Thanks menace2 and crate, I'll start on the shock research project tonight !

Drewboyaus
8th July 2014, 06:52 PM
If you are considering spacers to fix up saggy springs then I would get new springs. Not a fan of spacers and I think in some states they are not roadworthy.
If you're building your ride as a tourer, make sure you add up all the weight of accessories (barwork, winch, drawers, rear bar, roof rack etc.) and fuel and luggage etc and base your choice of spring rate on that. Otherwise you will put in springs that work for when the car is empty and once you load it up you'll be dragging your arse down the road.
As far as shocks go, big fan of Old Man Emu for an all round tourer setup, some really like Bilsteins or EFS and some swear by Tough Dog. Personally I'm not a fan of Tough Dog as I have seen a couple of failures on mates cars but each to their own. Whatever you do though, don't get foam cell shocks......they are crap for decent off-roading.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

jayisbikes
8th July 2014, 09:41 PM
thanks for the tip on adding all the accessory weight Drewboyaus. It seems I may need 2 complete suspension setups, one for general driving/mucking around in the bush and one for fully laden touring. Also I will be towing a hardfloor camper for touring around Oz, would polyair springs in the rear be the best way to manage the different spring rates needed to go from not towing to towing with a full load?

bazzle
16th July 2014, 01:58 PM
To carry the extra weight just get a spare set of rear coils. Easy to swap over and use them on your trip. Same spec as what in it just go up 1mm in wire size.I would not fit spacers. Just run with the 2" lift. 2 to 3 is ideal on that model. Keeps good road characteristics as a bonus. A lot of people go overboard.