PDA

View Full Version : Aux Battery distribution re-wire

HuskyInAuz
4th July 2014, 11:16 PM
I'm the second owner of this Patrol and bought a Waeco 80L dual zone refrigerator that was put in the back to run off a ?Navara 12vdc plug. The plug was fine what I found was very small wire, 12-14ga AWG (sorry haven't converted that measurement yet) duplex wire was run from the second battery to the left rear panel where there was the plug non-cigarette type. So the vdc loop was long for such a small wire and the amps the Waeco took at startup and was blowing fuses.

I've done a lot of rewiring of boats and so I had a bunch of wire spools of various sizes with all the fittings. Even some stainless steel armor shielding picked up at the Boeing surplus store, say in '88-'89. Really used for RFI shielding in planes but also protects the wire from chaff, etc.
So the first picture is of the existing feed wire (small) and the feed cable from the Piranha isolator.

So, I would run a larger 6ga AWG ANCOR to a split bus at the back door and then disassemble reassemble the small existing pair into one combined feed pair appropriately labeled since black and red would be joined.

I also pulled out of the marine bucket some battery terminal covers which I installed after soldering/crimping the lugs on the ends of the two feed wires.

Each circuit would be fused, 20a for the now duplex 12ga and 50a for the 6ga, a terminal hood would go over the positive to prevent shorts.

And so this is what the rear AUX panel/wiring looked like before (I have split off the neg before taking the picture from the old neg loop)

To this ... (used the frame as a ground at the left rear post)

More to follow in DIY storage as my drawers finally were folded ..

lucus30
5th July 2014, 10:50 AM
Sweet I plan to do similar. How hard is it to pull that rear quarter plastic off?

Hodge
5th July 2014, 11:43 AM
Sweet I plan to do similar. How hard is it to pull that rear quarter plastic off?

I'm pretty sure it just peels off slowly, it has those tabs at the back.

Nice write up Husky .As I'm about to run wires to the back my self, some very good points there.

lucus30
5th July 2014, 12:11 PM
I'm pretty sure it just peels off slowly, it has those tabs at the back.

Nice write up Husky .As I'm about to run wires to the back my self, some very good points there.

Cool thanks. I'm planing to do a negative and positive bus with a compressor mounted in there

FNQGU
6th July 2014, 08:59 AM
Good idea for use of that space mate. Which compressor are you going to mount in there?

I need to sort out a few more ideas in the cargo bay too, and you are giving me some motivation. Just got to pull the damn drawers out first...

megatexture
6th July 2014, 09:46 AM
Check out Steve's setup, I like what he's done.
This is towards the end post so you can see it just go back a few to the start http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?8399-ROLLED-GU-!-the-full-story-with-pics-amp-video/page30

HuskyInAuz
6th July 2014, 10:56 AM
Cool thanks. I'm planing to do a negative and positive bus with a compressor mounted in there

I was thinking about a slim third battery (50ah+/-) but since my purchase yesterday a compressor sounds good. Mounting... ah more garage engineering.

FNQGU
7th July 2014, 08:27 PM
I'm still considering a water bladder for at least one side. The compressor could well be the option for the other side. Got to work out just how big a bladder can fit. Am thinking 30 litre-ish, maybe a 40 litre and fill it till it can't take any more.

megatexture
7th July 2014, 08:30 PM
I was thinking about a slim third battery (50ah+/-) but since my purchase yesterday a compressor sounds good. Mounting... ah more garage engineering.

Might be able to get a series of 6x 2volt ones to fit easier?

lucus30
11th July 2014, 09:22 AM
Might be able to get a series of 6x 2volt ones to fit easier?

I thought about it but could never find any batteries slim enough