PDA

View Full Version : problems with my patrol :(

nufin_flash
15th February 2011, 07:06 PM
Hi Guys
recentlly purchased a 98 patrol 2.8td
other day after taking it offroad and back on the highway the oil light flicked on and off twice after which the engine started to sound like crap :(
pulled over and had a look, nothing leaking, oil and water levels normal, oil light now no longer on but car wouldnt start, called racq to the resuce
when the guy turned up the car would start however it has a slight knocking noise, his guess was i had done a cylinder.
today had a mobile mechanic have a look and he reckons i have an over fuelling injector pump and possible conrod bearing prob ? he reckons over 3k repair bill .
not sure what to believe and for prices like that am i better whacking in a new motor for not much more, any suggestions

Woof
15th February 2011, 07:08 PM
Hey Flash, its always a good idea to post up an Introduction before asking any questions, just gets everyone on side immediately mate.

Bigrig
15th February 2011, 07:09 PM
Hey mate - someone will be along soon to offer help, but always nice to throw an intro up in the introductions section - just a brief bit of banter about you and the rig. Just a courtesy thing mate - no harm done.

Silver
20th February 2011, 03:30 AM
if injectors are supplying too much fuel, plugs would be grey or if really bad, furry with carbon, and perhaps a bit wet looking? Mech may have stuck and exhaust gas anyliser up the tailpipe to check?

I suspect the reason the mech has gone for the conrod/big end bearing diagnosis is that if the bearing that joins a conrod to the crank has failed, it will let more oil through - hence the oil light coming on b/c higher flow = less pressure. And good mechs can tell where the noise is coming from, and make the call based on that.

$3k. Hmmm - maybe get a second opinion, and don't forget the option of a motor from a wrecker, might be $1k or less plus fitting?? - the mech over the road did that a couple of times due to expected TB42 head leak problems.