PDA

View Full Version : Options for rear suspension/ability to tow

DX grunt
29th June 2014, 10:20 AM
My towball is rated to 2.5t, and the max I can go is 3.2t.

My intention is to eventually buy a caravan and want to lift the rating of my towing capacity.

I've got a 2005 4.2 TDi, ex Telstra ute with the pod on the back. My truck's got coils on the front and (10) leaf springs on each side of the back.

There's been a couple of threads I've read on this subject, that's why I'm confused.

Any options/opinions/experiences/combinations to help my decision making process would be appreciated. :bowdown:

Thanks.

Rossco

threedogs
29th June 2014, 10:25 AM
Might need to upgrade your GMV like Cuppa did , but I would be putting airbags in the rear.
Another thing I would do is not buy the biggest[heaviest] van, buy a van that suits your needs
Definetly put the chassis strengthening kit in as well

EDIT you are nearly Mine spec on the back already are you.?

DX grunt
29th June 2014, 11:10 AM
Might need to upgrade your GMV like Cuppa did , but I would be putting airbags in the rear.
Another thing I would do is not buy the biggest[heaviest] van, buy a van that suits your needs
Definetly put the chassis strengthening kit in as well

EDIT you are nearly Mine spec on the back already are you.?

Not sure about mine spec. It's set up for remote work. Came with all the fruit when I bought it.

I've heard mixed stories about air bags, that's why I'm asking for opinions ect.

What's involved in a chassis strengthening kit? I know nothing about mechanics.

nissannewby
29th June 2014, 11:36 AM
Just double check your compliance plate/sticker. You might find your ute can actually only tow 2.5t

nissannewby
29th June 2014, 11:42 AM
Here is a pic of my sticker in my 04 TD42Ti cab chassis.

DX grunt
29th June 2014, 12:06 PM
Here is a pic of my sticker in my 04 TD42Ti cab chassis.

I agree, Matt.

Over in WA we have to fill out a form with all the mod details, to ask the authorities permission to do the mod - first. When they approve, we do the mod/s, then it has to go over the pits. I got told I can go up to 3.2.

Rossco

nissannewby
29th June 2014, 12:26 PM
Have you towed that much weight before?

The only reason I ask is I have towed 2.5t and probably more as the 5th wheel hitch allows you to do so. With the 5th wheel all I have is a flat tray, no sides when towing. You certainly know your pulling it around and mine is even tweaked running much higher boost and more fuel.

I suppose if your not in a hurry to get anywhere and I believe you would drive accordingly then it won't be a problem. Just passing on my experience.

threedogs
29th June 2014, 01:22 PM
A ten leaf pack is getting up there for load carrying that's for sure.
I would highly recommend the chassis kit if towing big weights off road.
Superior engineering have a bolt on and a weld on kit.
Really a no brainer as it is a weak spot on all Patrols.
Have you weighed your Patrol yet?? Seems the Pods become overweight
without much effort, travelling light would be easier all round, but saying that
easier said than done eh

kevin07
29th June 2014, 01:55 PM
My towball is rated to 2.5t, and the max I can go is 3.2t.

My intention is to eventually buy a caravan and want to lift the rating of my towing capacity.

I've got a 2005 4.2 TDi, ex Telstra ute with the pod on the back. My truck's got coils on the front and (10) leaf springs on each side of the back.

There's been a couple of threads I've read on this subject, that's why I'm confused.

Any options/opinions/experiences/combinations to help my decision making process would be appreciated. :bowdown:

Thanks.

Rossco
look up ebay on truck tow bars they got some plintils there they are great ive got a solid bar 5.0 ton one for the gq and a another 8 ton that fits the gu ah just for the record this is just for a tow ball upgrade not towing capacity.

nissannewby
29th June 2014, 03:19 PM
A ten leaf pack is getting up there for load carrying that's for sure.
I would highly recommend the chassis kit if towing big weights off road.
Superior engineering have a bolt on and a weld on kit.
Really a no brainer as it is a weak spot on all Patrols.
Have you weighed your Patrol yet?? Seems the Pods become overweight
without much effort, travelling light would be easier all round, but saying that
easier said than done eh

I don't believe there is a kit for the leaf spring rear. Superior make kits for the coil patrols. I hope cuppa sees this as he has some good info from when he went through his GVM upgrade.

bazzle
16th July 2014, 03:15 PM
A HD set of rear leafs and shocks will serve you well. Chassis should be fine. Airbags put loads where they were not designed to be in the middle of the chassis arch.

Cuppa
16th July 2014, 08:11 PM
I think we discussed this once before. I am not aware of any possibility to upgrade the tow rating other than from what DX Grunt has said about WA. As I understand it upgrading the GVM reduces the max towing capability as the GCM remains the same. Likewise increasing the allowable tow weight would reduce the tow vehicle’s GVM I believe. I don’t think it is possible to increase a vehicle’s GCM.

GCM (Gross Combination Mass)
GCM is the rating provided by the manufacturer of the tow vehicle. The maximum laden mass of a motor vehicle plus the maximum laden weight of an attached trailer is not permitted to exceed the GCM rating.

As far as I know the place most likely to crack on the leafy chassis’ is immediately in front of the spring hanger. I’m not sure if it’s standard or a Telstra mod, but my one has an extra plate welded to the chassis in that location on each side.

Air bags are not a great idea for leaf chassis. Local mine service vehicles carrying a lot of weight (up to 5t) experimented with them & sustained a number of broken chassis.

I suggest asking the WA authorities what mods they require for the 3.2t tow upgrade would be the best course of action (& let us all know).

DX - at risk of repeating myself
3.2t is a BIG van. It is quite common for folk to believe that they need something BIG for full-timing. It is also not uncommon for folk to recognise this as an expensive & frustrating mistake after a short time of being on the road. (slow, difficult access, high fuel consumption etc - try maneuvering a 3.2t behemoth into the average camp site - I guess someone has to provide the ‘entertainment for the rest!) Most experienced long term travellers are happier with less. As Matt has already said, heaving a 3t+ van around would be slow, & would be a fair stress on our ‘old school’ diesel. If you are set on having something that big then I reckon it might be worth considering a different vehicle.
Still you know what they say about horses & courses. I really do recommend finding a way to tow a few different size vans around before making any commitment.