PDA

View Full Version : Best Day Trip in WA

Gecko17
24th June 2014, 11:05 AM
G'day all.

I was just wondering what the best day trip was in WA....

There are the obvious (to me) ones like Mundaring, Wilbinga, and Ledge but I know there are so many others and just wanted to try as many as I can so wanted to know what you all thought.

Can we compile a "top 10 tracks" list?

93patrol
24th June 2014, 11:37 AM
Yeagerup national park, the pinnacles

Avo
24th June 2014, 12:36 PM
Dwellingup has some good area's along with Brunswick.

Clunk
24th June 2014, 02:48 PM
Julimar National park..... Lots of tracks to explore, some quite easy, some not so easy. Only been there a couple of times.

Clunk
24th June 2014, 02:49 PM
Gnangara pines

Gecko17
4th July 2014, 10:56 AM
I love the Moondyne track, simply because it is close by, can be technical and there is an awesome area to camp at the bottom of it. (Is that part of the Julimar NP?)

I have heard of the amazing tracks in Dwellingup but as yet, have not been out there to give them a go... (hint hint Nahnah..)

The Gnangara pines is not bad and there is 5 Hills nearby to try short hill climbs.

I think we may have to create a top 50 bucket list of tracks...

93patrol
4th July 2014, 02:22 PM
It's probably a housing estate now but we used to go up to the old alkimos shipwreck for fishing trips

Avo
8th July 2014, 03:58 PM
Geko,I have only been up around dwellingup once with the crew last year.i use to cut firewood up there for a living donkey's ago..September we'll all be going again

DX grunt
8th July 2014, 09:18 PM
Might not rate in the top 10, but any bitumen surface will do. lol

93patrol
9th July 2014, 03:02 AM
Logue brook dam is good too

Bush Ranger
7th December 2014, 07:24 PM
Try Atkins Road Mundaring. Runs off Mundaring Weir Road. You travel a K or two and turn left to Ledge Point bbq area, clearly marked and may be worth a look. It`ll eventually take you out through the pine forest and back on to Mundaring Weir Road. If you don`t turn left and keep going, it`ll eventually take you out the back of Coppin Road dump and use to connect up to Charles Road at one stage. There are a few tracks going off Atkins Road and have heard of CV hill is out there some where and I think you may have to turn left off the main track some where to get to it. Last time I went out that way, there were a few tracks fenced off stopping people using them. A nice area out that way.

Gecko17
8th December 2014, 12:48 PM
I did the Murray River fire break road, in Lane Poole reserve, with Clunk, Big Col, Stropp and a few others a few weeks ago. Very easy drive with some very pretty countryside.

Is the Dwellingup track the one with the huge sand hill climb off the beach? That looks like a good run. (and some fishing to be done as well...)

Stropp
8th December 2014, 02:58 PM
Is the Dwellingup track the one with the huge sand hill climb off the beach? That looks like a good run. (and some fishing to be done as well...)

mate i think you may be talking about yeagerup dunes that come up off the beach down near pemberton.

Gecko17
8th December 2014, 04:35 PM
I think you're right Stropp and am I also correct in thinking that that trip is not really a day trip? (I still want to do this Yeagerup trip!)

the evil twin
8th December 2014, 05:23 PM
I think you're right Stropp and am I also correct in thinking that that trip is not really a day trip? (I still want to do this Yeagerup trip!)

The "Huge Sand Hill" that is infamous down that way is Callcup Hill off Warren Beach and is a bit tougher than Yeagerup.

Callcup Dunes are the other side of the Warren River to Yeagerup Dunes.

Highly recommend a visit but much better to consider a trip down there as an overnighter (or more) as there are heaps of places to explore and play.

Stropp
8th December 2014, 09:33 PM
Yep as ET says yeagerup and callcup hill are the two that need to be tackled, you need at least an overnight stay or longer, I will be back down there between Xmas and new year :)

georges80
9th December 2014, 04:39 AM
East of Mundaring there's some open state forest with quite a bunch of tracks wandering through it. Some mud to play with in winter too.

Here's a tracklog from about 6yrs ago:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/12/1.gif

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/12/2.gif

Playing in mud/swamp crossing, lockers are good :) Adds much to the excitement when in a single vehicle on your own...

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/12/13.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/12/14.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/12/15.jpg

cheers,
george.

Gecko17
9th December 2014, 09:50 AM
Yep as ET says yeagerup and callcup hill are the two that need to be tackled, you need at least an overnight stay or longer, I will be back down there between Xmas and new year :)

Let me know if you need company Stropp. I am home over Xmas and would love to see down that way!

Stropp
9th December 2014, 10:29 AM
Let me know if you need company Stropp. I am home over Xmas and would love to see down that way!

mate i am going to denmark for xmas and then probably the 27th i will head to yeagerup and home new years eve, you are more that welcome if you want to come along, pm me your mobile number if you are not coming friday night to the xmas drinks.

afatboy
13th January 2015, 08:33 PM
Did a trip last week starting at Gnomesville in the Ferguson Valley, through to Wellington dam for lunch (I reckon parts of that section in the wet would excite even the hardcore fellas). From there, off through Beela to come out at Harvey dam to camp the night. 10 hours all in all. Awesome day trip with a bit of everything for everyone.

Bush Ranger
31st January 2015, 11:40 PM
If you turn right at Gnomesville and travel a couple / few kilometres and find Patersons Road, it will take you through to Wellington Dam and eventually out the back of Collie. Is that the way you talking about afatboy? If you turn left at Gnomesville round about from Bunbury and head towards Wellington Mill, you can turn right in to the pine forest there and follow the track to the left. Some nice tracks through there.

Gecko17
21st February 2015, 10:11 AM
Who has done the Gun Barrel Highway? Is it worth linking it up with doing the CSR?

Stropp
21st February 2015, 04:32 PM
Who has done the Gun Barrel Highway? Is it worth linking it up with doing the CSR?

thats a trip i would like to do :)

Gecko17
1st March 2015, 11:42 AM
I think we may need to have a wee chat about the posibilty of doing this trip when I get back Stropp! I reckon a few others would be keen if we can get the logistics right.

the evil twin
1st March 2015, 01:16 PM

thats a trip i would like to do :)

I think we may need to have a wee chat about the posibilty of doing this trip when I get back Stropp! I reckon a few others would be keen if we can get the logistics right.

Linking them is a very, very long trip, Cobbers.
Over 3,200 K's not including the transits from/to Yulara and Halls Creek so maybe 7,000 K's ex Perth

I guess the logical route would be transit Perth to Wiluna (1000 K's) then;
Do the CSR from Wiluna to Halls Creek (1800 K's)
Transit from Halls Creek to Yulara via Alice (1500 K's) via the Tanami, Stuart and Lasseter
Do the Gunbarrel from Yulara to Wiluna (1400 K's)
Transit home from Wiluna (1000 K's)

You would be crazy not to spend a week around the Centre at the West Mac's, Kings, Palm Valley, Yulara soo
1 Week to get Halls Creek, 10 days at least from Halls to Yulara via the centre, 5 days to get home via the 'Barrel if you want to see the main POI's

I took 3 days to do Perth Yulara and missed heaps

Gecko17
4th March 2015, 10:39 AM
Linking them is a very, very long trip, Cobbers.
Over 3,200 K's not including the transits from/to Yulara and Halls Creek so maybe 7,000 K's ex Perth

I guess the logical route would be transit Perth to Wiluna (1000 K's) then;
Do the CSR from Wiluna to Halls Creek (1800 K's)
Transit from Halls Creek to Yulara via Alice (1500 K's) via the Tanami, Stuart and Lasseter
Do the Gunbarrel from Yulara to Wiluna (1400 K's)
Transit home from Wiluna (1000 K's)

You would be crazy not to spend a week around the Centre at the West Mac's, Kings, Palm Valley, Yulara soo
1 Week to get Halls Creek, 10 days at least from Halls to Yulara via the centre, 5 days to get home via the 'Barrel if you want to see the main POI's

I took 3 days to do Perth Yulara and missed heaps

One thing I love about my roster is that if I take 2 weeks of work, I get 6 weeks off, so this trip could be done. The major obstacle would be the War office....

That being said, what do you blokes reckon is a great trip to do over say a week or so? There must be some semi-local trips to be had...

the evil twin
4th March 2015, 10:56 AM
That being said, what do you blokes reckon is a great trip to do over say a week or so? There must be some semi-local trips to be had...

A half dozen or so off the top of me noggin... each one a week to 10 days

The Holland Track.
East of Esperance (Duke of Orleans, Isrealite)
Fitzgerald NP
Augusta to Bremer via the Coast tracks
Goldfields
The 'Rocks' south of the Great Eastern
The 'Rocks' north of the Great Eastern
Mt Augustus via wheatbelt and Murchison up and Gassy J and the midland back

Avo
4th March 2015, 01:38 PM
I'm driving from pemberton to Augusta via the bitumine this sat,then coming home along the coast hopefully camping at lake jasper sat night and having a fish at jasper beach...best bit about living in the country is that day trips are pretty close to anywhere you fancy going.

Gecko17
5th March 2015, 10:14 AM
I'm driving from pemberton to Augusta via the bitumine this sat,then coming home along the coast hopefully camping at lake jasper sat night and having a fish at jasper beach...best bit about living in the country is that day trips are pretty close to anywhere you fancy going.

Still trying to organise a trip down to catch up with yourself and Doggy, Neil!! Trying to bring the Disturbed one down with me when he's fit to travel.

@ET, I haven't done any of those! Sucks! Seems like I have been at work for ever.

Avo
5th March 2015, 10:18 AM
@ Gecko...........we had a power failure and the fences were'nt armed and Doggy has escaped..last seen in the eastern states mate..never got to micro chip him either so it's touch and go whether we get him back..lol

93patrol
5th March 2015, 12:18 PM
Better call the ranger.

Although I am a favour of tag and release

Gecko17
6th March 2015, 10:26 AM
@ Gecko...........we had a power failure and the fences were'nt armed and Doggy has escaped..last seen in the eastern states mate..never got to micro chip him either so it's touch and go whether we get him back..lol

LOL.... I do seem to recall that he had escaped and was heading over there... I hope you managed to get him neutered! Otherwise there could be a puppy explosion over East!

Dman2603
24th March 2015, 05:11 PM
Good day all is this trip still going ahead? Do you need any particular accessories? I have the normal usual recovery gear! But I don't have a lift or fancy tyres or winch or anything like that! But I do have A/T tyres would they be suffice for this trip? Can anyone come along?

Cheers guys.

the evil twin
24th March 2015, 05:21 PM
Good day all is this trip still going ahead? Do you need any particular accessories? I have the normal usual recovery gear! But I don't have a lift or fancy tyres or winch or anything like that! But I do have A/T tyres would they be suffice for this trip? Can anyone come along?

Cheers guys.

Which trip?

We have been gibbering about a couple of different ones so gets confusing

Dman2603
24th March 2015, 05:33 PM
Ah Ok sorry! Let me re-read from the start again! Lol

Dman2603
24th March 2015, 05:39 PM
OK I have no idea where I saw the post I thought this was! Sorry!!! Bang Head :1087:

But on the day trip note is anyone in Perth thinking of organising/ heading out for a play anywhere anytime soon?

Clunk
24th March 2015, 06:40 PM
Not sure, but I wouldn't mind having another looksy up around Julimar soon

Dman2603
24th March 2015, 07:59 PM

Let me know when mate I'm keen as!! Need to get the troll dirty!! & will only go off road with others as adventurous as I am .......... I'm not stupid!!

timbar
24th March 2015, 08:26 PM
what again hahahaha

hey let me know should have my lift in in a couple weeks ...fingers crossed will need to test it out !!:Yahoo!:

Avo
24th March 2015, 09:45 PM

make a date sweetheart,whack it in the trips bit..i been hangin to go to the city for a catch up and a drive.

Clunk
24th March 2015, 09:50 PM
what again hahahaha

hey let me know should have my lift in in a couple weeks ...fingers crossed will need to test it out !!:Yahoo!:

What ya mean again? Haven't been up there for a couple of years lol

Clunk
24th March 2015, 10:26 PM
make a date sweetheart,whack it in the trips bit..i been hangin to go to the city for a catch up and a drive.

Righteo sweetheart, lets see what can be done and when

Clunk
24th March 2015, 10:53 PM

Cheers guys.

Nah you'll be fine with no lift and ATs....... I'm thinking about maybe camping out, so maybe make a weekend of it.

Stropp
25th March 2015, 01:10 AM
Yep I'm up for it, we might even get the spot near the creek again if we get there at a reasonable time :) if we go powerlines that is.

Clunk
25th March 2015, 01:38 AM
Yep I'm up for it, we might even get the spot near the creek again if we get there at a reasonable time :) if we go powerlines that is.
I'm thinking if we go Powerlines, we can go to the camp spot first, set up then go for a wheel or maybe do the same if we go to Julimar........ might have to try and get some trip files

Dman2603
25th March 2015, 12:27 PM
Nah you'll be fine with no lift and ATs....... I'm thinking about maybe camping out, so maybe make a weekend of it.

Sweet mate im in!! Will await further instructions!! But for Powerlines would Muddies be better? Just thinking of getting a spare set of rims with good tyres! & have read bits of powerlines get abit hairey! But more so in the wet!!

Cheers.

Stropp
25th March 2015, 02:56 PM
Sweet mate im in!! Will await further instructions!! But for Powerlines would Muddies be better? Just thinking of getting a spare set of rims with good tyres! & have read bits of powerlines get abit hairey! But more so in the wet!!

Cheers.

depends on what you want to do, there are harder bits and easier bits to do at the powerlines, there are also tracks around the hard bits so you dont have to possibly bend something if it goes awry. also if it rains there are bogholes that you can do or not and if you do then def muddies will be needed, for me now i know where i will go and wont go so its easy for me, where we camp is a pretty good spot and if its been raining there is a small stream but there are usually people there early to get that spot, nice spot and a fire, cant wait.

Clunk
25th March 2015, 04:03 PM

Cheers.

If i was taking the old clunker, then i would have said, dont follow me and you'll be ok......... lol

Oh and i don't have muddies either, just aggressive all terrains

Dman2603
25th March 2015, 04:04 PM
Ok no worries! Well I will accept all advice at the time & see what happens! As it will be my 1st time out I wont be doing anything too extreme! As for everything else I will just wait & see what I need when I need it!

Cheers mate!

Clunk
25th March 2015, 04:14 PM
Ok no worries! Well I will accept all advice at the time & see what happens! As it will be my 1st time out I wont be doing anything too extreme! As for everything else I will just wait & see what I need when I need it!

Cheers mate!

Ive got a couple of hand helds if you dont have a 2way. Get a good air compressor if you havent got one already.
I wont be doing anything extreme as I'll probably have the misus and kids with me. We dont pressurise anyone into doing something they dont feel comfortable with, and there's always other ways round if needed.

Dman2603
25th March 2015, 04:48 PM
Ive got a couple of hand helds if you dont have a 2way. Get a good air compressor if you havent got one already.
I wont be doing anything extreme as I'll probably have the misus and kids with me. We dont pressurise anyone into doing something they dont feel comfortable with, and there's always other ways round if needed.

Yeah I do have a 2way but cheers! No idea how good it is tho! Lol Just know its a 40 channel GME!
As for a good air compressor ......... What makes a good air comp? L/min & Max pressure? I know its also a ..... double ended question but do most people mount their comps or have portables?
Thinking of getting a portable from supercheap 70L/min @150 max psi - $97
Good starting point or just suck it up & get an ARB?
Other quick question is I have a removable towbar (with pin) do most people just use that for recoveries or would you recommend a proper hitch receiver again supercheap $40 & rated - 4.7 T

Sorry for all the questions!!

But thank you all so much for your help & advice! Very much appreciated!!

dave97
25th March 2015, 05:09 PM
Other quick question is I have a removable towbar (with pin) do most people just use that for recoveries or would you recommend a proper hitch receiver again supercheap $40 & rated - 4.7 T

Are you asking if you do recoveries with your tow ball? No getting a mounted recovery point i wouldn't put someone's life in the hands of your weathered towball pin, even a new one it's a lot of force on it.

Clunk
25th March 2015, 05:15 PM
Yeah I do have a 2way but cheers! No idea how good it is tho! Lol Just know its a 40 channel GME!
As for a good air compressor ......... What makes a good air comp? L/min & Max pressure? I know its also a ..... double ended question but do most people mount their comps or have portables?
Thinking of getting a portable from supercheap 70L/min @150 max psi - $97
Good starting point or just suck it up & get an ARB?

Sorry for all the questions!!

But thank you all so much for your help & advice! Very much appreciated!!

no worries mate, some folk just use the pin but I reckon most will probably use the hitch receiver.

with air compressor I personally wouldn't spend the coin on an ARB but I guess that's an indiviudals choice, I've got one of these http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Ridge-Ryder-Air-Compressor-12-Volt-Ultimate.aspx?pid=299651#Recommendations , they actually had these on sale last week for $114

Dman2603
25th March 2015, 05:17 PM
Are you asking if you do recoveries with your tow ball? No getting a mounted recovery point i wouldn't put someone's life in the hands of your weathered towball pin, even a new one it's a lot of force on it.

Sorry what I meant was I have heard people talking about taking the tow ball completely off but putting the snatch strap back into the SHS with the pin going through the hitch & strap! but yes the force of the strap is then on the pin! The pin is at least solid 10 -12mm SS316. I do understand what your saying though!

So you would recommend getting a proper hitch receiver then?

Dman2603
25th March 2015, 05:20 PM
no worries mate, some folk just use the pin but I reckon most will probably use the hitch receiver.

with air compressor I personally wouldn't spend the coin on an ARB but I guess that's an indiviudals choice, I've got one of these http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Ridge-Ryder-Air-Compressor-12-Volt-Ultimate.aspx?pid=299651#Recommendations , they actually had these on sale last week for $114

Yeah I think I saw that in the catalogue!! Ok good to know that's the sort of thing I need!

Cheers!

the evil twin
25th March 2015, 05:33 PM
Sorry what I meant was I have heard people talking about taking the tow ball completely off but putting the snatch strap back into the SHS with the pin going through the hitch & strap! but yes the force of the strap is then on the pin! The pin is at least solid 10 -12mm SS316. I do understand what your saying though!

So you would recommend getting a proper hitch receiver then?

I use a machined billet hitch rather than direct to the pin.
That means the pin is "in shear" between the reciever and the billet and won't bend.

Using the pin is fine for non-kinetic loads or easy snatch loads (say less than 1,000 Kg)... but needs dictate the solution sometimes.

Gecko17
26th March 2015, 10:30 AM
When we going to Julimar? I'm home on the 31 March!!!

@Dman... if you're not in a hurry to get an air compressor and hitch receiver, I'm sure I have spare ones sitting on my shelf at home...

Clunk
26th March 2015, 11:35 AM

@Dman... if you're not in a hurry to get an air compressor and hitch receiver, I'm sure I have spare ones sitting on my shelf at home...

Will more likely be powerlines mate

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?p=590801

Dman2603
26th March 2015, 12:42 PM

No hurry at all mate! Just need them if I do this! But if you have spares I am more than happy to wait & reimburse you!!

Cheers mate!

Gecko17
26th March 2015, 09:19 PM
Will more likely be powerlines mate

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?p=590801

Still keen...

Clunk
26th March 2015, 09:39 PM
Still keen...

We'll have to see if we can find you a puddle ;)

Bush Ranger
8th August 2015, 10:42 PM
I haven`t been to Lake Jasper since 1998. I remember there were a pile of mosquitos when I camped there. I think there`s a lake on the same route by the name of Scott Lake.
There`s a track in Dwellingup called Captain Fawcett. I have heard that`s a nice track to drive.