PDA

View Full Version : 2-2.4 Ton Caravan towing

HuskyInAuz
23rd June 2014, 10:19 PM
Thinking of a larger caravan than we were originally looking for what will be our 'entry' into this retired social phenomenon. Wife is a pretty good trooper but suffers from a number of autoimmune conditions and traveling with an ensuite/toilet close is really the only option we have. I'm not at all prepared to test the caravaning waters with a ridiculously priced 'off-road/touring' caravan from the $50K-100K+ mfgs... So we are looking at the older 2001+ year Jayco Westport caravans, 20-21 ft. ATM is 1860 but by the time you get water, food, etc, probably pushing 2.2-2.3 tns. How many folks are pulling that weight rig over bitumen, gravel/dirt roads. Plan NOT to stay in caravan parks I can stay at home and experience high density living.

gaddy
23rd June 2014, 10:51 PM
Walk in the park , I pull 2.2t boat no worries with a series lll 4.2 tdi , and the old man pulls 3.2 t boat with relative ease with a 06 4.2 tdi and he and mum have towed their 2t plus van over most of central qld .sa etc birdsvile track etc with ease

outback
23rd June 2014, 11:11 PM
Nasty thought for you:
If your ATM is 1860 that is the vans total load limit. Go over that and you are legally overloaded. In most vans the TARE is about 300 - 500 kg less than the ATM.
So add 2x9kg bottle full of gas plus water tanks full and you are running into of legal weight limits. Not much for clothing and food.
Suggest you look fora van with a hight ATM and a nice big difference between TARE and ATM.

Cuppa
23rd June 2014, 11:51 PM
Nasty thought for you:
If your ATM is 1860 that is the vans total load limit. Go over that and you are legally overloaded. In most vans the TARE is about 300 - 500 kg less than the ATM.
So add 2x9kg bottle full of gas plus water tanks full and you are running into of legal weight limits. Not much for clothing and food.
Suggest you look fora van with a hight ATM and a nice big difference between TARE and ATM.

Good advice, a lot of folk get caught with weights.

HuskyInAuz
24th June 2014, 04:54 AM
OMG .. sorry mistyped and possibly a senior moment (did a lot of A/C weight and balance calc's). You are correct Tare is 1860, ATM is 2250-ish.