PDA

View Full Version : Nissan Versus Toyota

Woods
29th June 2010, 08:17 PM
Thanks for all your replies so far.

I read a small story about this on another site and was wondering what you guys think of the pro's and con's of a Landcruiser versus the Patrol as they seem to be rivalries in the 4x4 scene and I'm sorry to admit to you's, I have thought going that way...hehe

If I was considering the 4.8 Patrol then the Landcruiser would be the go for economy according to my figures.

But saying that Landcruiser will cost me more to buy.

Iv'e been out of the 4x4 scene for a bit with an old Rangy that slowly coming to a halt.

Can anyone help with the pro's and con's of either model.

I'm obviously expecting a lot of pro's with the patrol (haha) but would enjoy knowing why they are becoming so popular in the last 5 years and "whats good about them" compared to the Cruisers.

Sorry for the long winded post but this is a big decision for us.

Thanks all.

Woods
29th June 2010, 08:32 PM
I also forgot to mention, I need ammo for the wifey as she is super keen on a Land Cruiser for the comfort as well.

Mark
29th June 2010, 09:26 PM
Need I say no more....

Nissan’s legendary Patrol turbo-diesel comes out on top of a field of highly fancied competitors to be voted ‘Best 4WD of 2008’.

The Patrol saw off four competitors in the first round of testing in northern Australia before moving to central Australia for the final round where it was pitted against the new Landcruiser.

At the end of the testing, with all the facts to compare, the final decision was a runaway victory to the mighty Patrol turbo-diesel.

The Patrol’s rugged design, off-road performance and updated 3.0-litre common-rail intercooled turbo-diesel have earned it a reputation as one of the best off-road vehicles in the market.

Nissan’s Patrol wagon diesel line-up includes the five-seat DX and seven-seat ST, ST-L and Ti variants. Apart from the 3.0-litre diesel, customers also have the choice of the powerful 4.8-litre in-line six-cylinder petrol engine available on ST, ST-L and Ti models. A five-speed manual or four-speed automatic transmission is available with the ZD30 diesel engine and the TB48 petrol comes with a standard 5-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode.

Nissan’s Patrol is tough and capable: it will climb a 39-degree gradient and wade through 700mm of water. Beam axles front and rear allow excellent wheel articulation over the roughest terrain, while the long suspension travel and generous ground clearance all contribute to the Patrol’s formidable off-road ability.

Nissan Australia’s managing director and CEO Dan Thompson, said the Patrol is clearly a popular choice and its win is testament to Nissan’s expertise in four-wheel drives.

“The Patrol epitomizes Nissan’s four-wheel drive know-how and its off-road ability is legendary,” said Mr Thompson.

patch697
29th June 2010, 09:40 PM
Compare the size difference in the following items on both Patrols and LCs: Diffs, chassis section, prop shaft, gearbox, CVs, axles. There is absolutely no comparison as the Patrol's are huge compared to the LC. The strength of the Patrol driveline is head and shoulders above the LC. To highlight this fact, how many LCs do you see in winch or outback challenges? That's right, you could count them on one hand.

Now, you'll also get a lot of advice regarding motors. My personal preference is the 4.2L turbo diesel because of it simplicity and strength. It does not have common rail injection, it does not have on-board computers, it does not have wiring looms going every which way. The more technology you have, the more that can let you down. The Patrol 4.2TD is a basic, mechanically injected diesel plonker. Reliable and strong and consistent. That's all I want. Otherwise I'd go out and buy some jazzed up rice burner street racer.

Toyotas are also a lot dearer than Patrols because they have such a good reputation for building good quality cars (let's admit it they do) and they capitalise on that. If I was in the market for a "Toorak Tractor" I'd consider a LC.

I don't have anything against Toyotas but I like Patrols better because of their "over-engineered" drivetrain components, the legendary tractor motor TD42 and their inherent simplicity and strength.

I think I love you

DX grunt
29th June 2010, 09:47 PM
The fact that we all 'subscribe' to this Forum is testimony in itself that we like Nissans. Having said that, my work vehicle was a brand spanking new LC 4.5 troopy. Man, what a machine.
If Nissan could put the 4.5 under the bonnet.....WOW. I also used to drive the SES 6cyl troopy. Drop down a gear and plant it and nothing happened. I reckon the Patrols definiately have more creature comfort. It's my preference.

Ross

patch697
30th June 2010, 12:41 PM
Aww shucks!

That could have been a love song. All it was missing was music.

Cheers
Paul

flubba flubba
4th April 2016, 11:08 PM
Price is a clear winner