PDA

View Full Version : Notchy g/box GU111

philmar
13th February 2011, 08:21 PM
I used to work in a Toyote workshop some years ago, and Cruisers at that time were having a lot of problems with notchiness in their transmissions. Replacing synchros etc did not help and in somebodys wisdom (not sure if it was Toyotas or not) it was suggested to use auto trans oil in the manuals. This would fix the problem and I never saw a failure due to poor lubrication.
My GU has a similar condition and I wonderd if their are any words of wisdom out there regarding a fix? I heard someone mention Castrol VMX-M.

Phil.

big_fletch
13th February 2011, 08:50 PM
Howdy mate,
I have the same problem in my gu111, I have a zd30.. couple of weeks ago I put vmx-m into mine.. did help with the notchyness but was still there.. went down today and bought some nulon g70 (which is a manual gearbox conditioner) after the reports I had heard about it.. will be putting it in later tonight with a beer or 2 so will post up how it goes

Fletcha

YNOT
13th February 2011, 09:16 PM
Fletcha I would not recommend putting beer in your transmission. While it's lubrication qualities are well proven in humans the results of putting it in gearboxes has been dissapointing.

Tony

big_fletch
13th February 2011, 09:58 PM
Hahahaha nice one tony :1087:.. just so its clear the beer did not enter the gearbox, just my mouth

big_fletch
14th February 2011, 01:14 PM
Just put that nulon g70 into my gearbox and took it for a drive, basically got rid of the notchyness and gear changes are a hell of a lot smoother.. would recommend it to anyone, defiantly worth a try

Fletcha

philmar
14th February 2011, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the tip Fletcha, Nulon it is. Sounds safer than auto oil at least.
Phil.

GU4u
15th February 2011, 06:09 PM
A long time ago in a state far far away my brother and I were involved with grafting a 1600 twin cam celica motor into a ke20 corrolla well before they came out standard with them.The celica gear boxes also had to have a mixture of engine oil and transmission fluid to get the syncros to work, so mixing auto fluid with other oils for gear boxes has been around for quite some time with some favorable results but I am also a fan of nulon it does seem help. just my two cents worth.
cheers
Scotty

veeate
15th February 2011, 07:27 PM
i worked at Autopro & Auto 1 for a couple of years and sold a fair bit of that Nulon additive. Always had good feedback on it. id give that a go