PDA

View Full Version : Simpson crossing

Eddo83
16th June 2014, 09:45 PM
Heading across the simpson leaving adelaide on the 13th july to be at mt dare on the 15th or 16th. Was wondering if anyone on here is travelling or knows someone who's travelling there at the same time who would perhaps like to team up?

MudRunnerTD
16th June 2014, 10:13 PM
Hi mate, you actually have buckleys here to be honest! If you see the timer at the top o the page for "The Meetup in the Middle" that is a forum meetup at Dalhousie on 1st July to them cross the Simpson. Anyone going on this forum hopefully is going on that trip. Your welcome to pull your trip forward and join us.

Otherwise there will be track reports and trip notes posted on the forum a few days before you leave so check in and have a look and ask questions of the group.

Good luck mate

happygu
16th June 2014, 11:28 PM
Eddo,

Although it is still remote, and you need to be absolutely prepared, the Simpson isnt as remote as it used to be ...... there will be lots of others crossing too.

You will most probably be able to hook up with someone at either end, depending on how fast or slow you want to travel

Eddo83
17th June 2014, 09:59 AM
Eddo,

Although it is still remote, and you need to be absolutely prepared, the Simpson isnt as remote as it used to be ...... there will be lots of others crossing too.

You will most probably be able to hook up with someone at either end, depending on how fast or slow you want to travel

I am very well prepared have been planning and researching it for the past 12 months and am fairly confident that I'll be fine. Am planning on hanging at mt dare for a day or 2 to see if anyone wants to team up there otherwise will go solo. Like you said loads of people do the crossing so don't think we'll ever be alone for too long. Gonna hire a sat phone just incase there's any emergencies.

BillsGU
17th June 2014, 03:29 PM
Make sure you have a desert pass. Friends have just done the crossing and were asked for their pass. The pass is worth the money with all the toilet and shower facillities and the tracks being so well maintained and ............................... I wonder what you do get for your money?

TimE
17th June 2014, 03:38 PM
............................... I wonder what you do get for your money?

............ a cold shower at Dalhousie and a cold night because camp fires are banned from 10 east of Purni Bore to west of Dalhousie, so shower at Purni Bore where the water is hot (let it run for 20 mins or so to get the cold water out of the system) and camp 10 East of Purni if you want a campfire. I should really check maybe the rules and facilities have changed again since last year!

But hey the Rangers are always there to help .................... never saw one in the 3 crossings I have done, but for $150 its a bargain!

MudRunnerTD
17th June 2014, 05:11 PM
You can buy the desert pass at the My Dare Hotel.

If I was trying to hook up with someone for a crossing I would sit at Dalhousie rather than my Dare as most pull in there for Fuel and beer rather than camping. There is camping and hot showers at my dare though.

Good luck with your trip

Eddo83
17th June 2014, 09:08 PM
Cheers for the advice. Have already got the parks pass, while it is a bit pricey the booklet and maps are pretty handy and it lasts 12 months so its a good excuse to plan another trip.

BillsGU
18th June 2014, 11:39 AM
You can buy the desert pass at the My Dare Hotel.

WOW MR !!!! Didn't know you owned a pub !!! Did you marry the publican's daughter with the big ................................................. blue eyes?

BillsGU
18th June 2014, 11:41 AM
Cheers for the advice. Have already got the parks pass, while it is a bit pricey the booklet and maps are pretty handy and it lasts 12 months so its a good excuse to plan another trip.

The pass always seems to expire just before the next trip!