PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler options. Frozenboost

Mrbeef
14th June 2014, 02:07 PM
Hey,

I'm trying to suss out what style/size w2a intercooler I need to fit under my bonnet of gq td42 preferably a frozenboost. No body lift. My turbo is a high mount. I'll put a pic up of eng bay.

The tape is measuring about 100mm with bonnet closed and that's infront of the string line.

Thinking maybe an offset inlet with central outlet.

Cramped for space. Has anyone used a frozenboost setup and pictures??

Cheers

MudRunnerTD
14th June 2014, 02:15 PM
Yes mate I have a frozen boost setup on the GQ. I have a body lift and also did a pretty out there custom fit up. Check out my build thread in the link in my sig line.

FB have lots of options for the cooler and given you have a HiMount turbo you really need to have a look at all their different options.

When I was fitting mine up I had all sorts of trouble for space but I was doing more (see my build) but I ended up sitting a camera in the engine bay set to video and closing the bonnet while filming and then opening again and checking th video to figure out my clearances.

Your heat exchanger will be going in front of the radiator I assume which will allow you plenty of options under the bonnet I'd reckon.

Hope that helps a little.

Mrbeef
14th June 2014, 09:02 PM
Ah yeh I did see your thread there
Mate. Nice build bro! I'm not that design savvy to attempt that kinda carry on haha.

I don't think I'll have too much issue with having the exchanger infront of radiator. It never gets hot with a massive Ali radiator. Got a tm2 watch dog and never gets over 70 degrees.

I'm thinking that perhaps I'll have to rotate the turbo for more room on the piping side of things.

Looks like that photo didn't upload I'll try again

Mrbeef
14th June 2014, 09:04 PM
Haha to be honest I already bought a whole kit from frozenboost without doing my research. Got the same side intercooler type and there just no way it'll fit. So kicking myself for that. Too much rigmarole to do lift kit with our ridiculous warrant of fitness rules.

MudRunnerTD
14th June 2014, 09:30 PM
you will have more room that your string line is showing. If you see in my pics i have mounted the Cooler a long way back near the back of the motor as there is a bit more room there too. I have a body lift but even without the body lift i would fit the Cooler for sure.

If you already have the kit then happy days mate, Sit it in position near the back and then put a torch in the engine bay and your phone on video pointing where you need to look an close the bonnet with the cooler in place. The video will show you how much room you have. You might get away with packing the hinges a little and lifting the back of the bonnet up.

MudRunnerTD
14th June 2014, 09:31 PM
you also may cut a section out of your bonnet lining that is still in place.

Mrbeef
16th June 2014, 06:17 PM
Oh yes cheers for the guidance mate. Always helps picking someone else's brain :)