PDA

View Full Version : Dusted turbo 4.2

GU89
29th June 2010, 06:08 PM
hey guys, ive been told my turbo has been 'dusted'. I can feel something at about 3 to 4k where the power dies off then on again then off etc.....really annoying and power lacking as well. Also he said my turbo has no end float, or maybe he said it has to much end float? I cant remember lol. Anyway is the reason my power drops off a result of my turbo being dusted?

ps. I cant decide between a gt2860rs or the 71.

Thanks Bevan

GQ4.2
29th June 2010, 06:31 PM
2860RS is the go mate, 2871 would be lagy unless you have pump mods, or better still give JPC a call in Melbourne

GU89
29th June 2010, 06:39 PM
G'day Bevan, gotta admit I've never heard of the term "dusted". But if you're at 3 to 4k revs in a 4.2 you're miles above optimum torque range and that may have something to do with it. What situation would require that many revs in a 4.2? I don't think I've ever been much over 3k revs ever and I do a bit more than "driving miss daisy" tracks.

P.S. - Just realised you may be a mud bog freak? In that case I can understand revving up in that range to clear the tyres but I'd hate to be revving mine that hard.

Its only really in the sand I use those kinds of revs. I run 15psi of boost and the guy who tuned it said it should be running power through a lot smoother than it is. If you drove it you would realise its not right. Thanks for your input

Finly Owner
25th July 2010, 10:22 PM
G'day Bevan, gotta admit I've never heard of the term "dusted". But if you're at 3 to 4k revs in a 4.2 you're miles above optimum torque range and that may have something to do with it. What situation would require that many revs in a 4.2? I don't think I've ever been much over 3k revs ever and I do a bit more than "driving miss daisy" tracks.

P.S. - Just realised you may be a mud bog freak? In that case I can understand revving up in that range to clear the tyres but I'd hate to be revving mine that hard.
the term dusted comes from when an engine has sucked dust into the engine either through inadequate air filtration or a pcv valve popping out or oil fill cap coming off. These later two clag up the oil galleries stopping lubrication. Yes I saw two vehicles on Simpson Desert crossing end up with dusted motors and end up being towed out. Endeavour rally is tough on two wheel drive vehicles.