PDA

View Full Version : Woods Point - Jamieson - Licola

RubberDuckieGQ
10th June 2014, 09:20 PM
Hi all! Spent Queen's Birthday weekend in the High Country and thought I would put some pictures up.

Left on Sat morning, met up with mates in Neerim South, and then drove on to Woods Point

Looked for campsites around Comet Flat (just south outside of Woods Point); it was pretty busy but once you head past the first main campsites there were a few good spots by the river. We found a great spot, big enough to fit 3-4 cars if you're not setting up too many tents.
The track continued past our campsite on the other side of the river, so we had a good view of the cars going past - it was basically a free 4WD show, heaps of nice trucks coming past with some awesome set ups :D

Sunday, drove into Jamieson for lunch, then up Jamieson-Licola Rd. Great views along the way! Got to Mt Skene summit. By this stage it was about 3:30 and the weather wasn't looking great so decided to look for firewood and a campsite before it got dark.

Couldn't find many good spots off Jamieson-Licola Rd, ended up staying off No. 16 track in a clearing - looks like it was a logging area once upon a time.

Monday was rainy, so packed up early and drove down to Licola. Bought some pies for breakfast from the general store :) and then drove around for a while looking for campsites accessible to 2WDs - planning Cup Weekend getaway for a bigger group.

Got home around 3 on Monday, cleaning/unpacking while watching old 4WD action DVDs to make it a bit less painful. The End!

MEGOMONSTER
10th June 2014, 09:24 PM
Thanks for sharing, I loved it when we (I) went up there, cant wait to get back.

RubberDuckieGQ
10th June 2014, 09:26 PM
My favourite place in Vic I reckon!! Would love to get across to Dargo next time

MudRunnerTD
10th June 2014, 09:30 PM
Cheers mate,

I know comet flat quite well. Did you do the river run mate. There is an awesome track that dreams are made of that crosses the river and along the river maybe 25 times. Great little camp site all he way along it. Great spot. The forum has had a couple of meetups at comet flat.

RubberDuckieGQ
10th June 2014, 10:21 PM
Hey MudRunner,

Nah we only did part of that track this time unfortunately! Didn't know it crossed the river that many times!!

Definitely need to go back - it'll be great in summer, can set up the camp chairs right in the river next to the sites!

We stayed 2 or 3 creek crossings in - just across the river from the hut.

AB
11th June 2014, 06:34 AM
It's not a bad little camp spot that one for a small group.

Love that area, good pics!!!

Bloodyaussie
11th June 2014, 07:19 AM
Love it mate.... thanks for sharing some great pics !!!

threedogs
11th June 2014, 08:07 AM
yeah great part of Vic that's for sure, only place in Vic where you can jump over the Goulbourn river
and plenty of colour if you're keen

Family4x4
11th June 2014, 09:45 AM
Crossing the Macalister river near licola can be a pretty decent/hairy crossing depending on depth/current. Great country up there.

RubberDuckieGQ
11th June 2014, 12:30 PM
Do you have to cross Macalister River to get into the gorge? Meant to be some good spots around there too

Hodge
11th June 2014, 05:55 PM
Love the pics mate. Gets me excited, for when I eventually see the VHC.

RubberDuckieGQ
11th June 2014, 06:43 PM
Ohh haven't been before? You'll love it! It's awesome all year round and there are some iconic pubs you have to check out too. Google 'Vic High Country Pub Crawl' :)

Hodge
11th June 2014, 06:45 PM
Yeah mate I'm probably the only sucker with a 4x4 that hasnt seen the VHC in a 4x4 yet. Although I've been through some areas (black top only).