PDA

View Full Version : are 2" longer shocks compatible with standard height springs?

wykenrico
10th June 2014, 09:57 PM
hi guys the problem i am having now is like this: my gq have some leak from the shocks and i am looking to replace them before my journey. if the gq is stock i wouldnt mind adding a few hundred bucks to get the springs as well to give it a 2 inch lift. but the problem is that it already has a body lift done to it by the previous owner so if i get the 2" longer springs the vehicle will be way too high for me. so, if i do the 2 inch suspension lift kit i would need another few hundreds bucks to get the standard body mount to remove the body lift. i would surely go this way later but not for now as my budget is really tight needing to keep some coins to spend on the journey. therefore i am wondering if i can just get the longer shocks first (so that i dont need to replace the shocks again when i do the suspension lift in the future) and keep the standard spring for the moment? would it be bad on the shocks with this combination (longer shocks and standard springs)? sorry for bad english hope u get what im trying to say:)

cheers
Cheuk

04OFF
10th June 2014, 10:11 PM
When I fitted my 2 inch lift, the shockies I removed, were the exact same part number as what I was putting in with the lifted springs, never had a problem and I did heaps of off-road like this.

megatexture
11th June 2014, 12:07 AM
When I fitted my 2 inch lift, the shockies I removed, were the exact same part number as what I was putting in with the lifted springs, never had a problem and I did heaps of off-road like this.
I think he's taking about getting 2" shocks but running the stock coils till he has the coin to replace them and get new body mounts

I don't see it being an issue but if you can flex it up and measure the compression and compare it with the new shocks compression you will know if it will do damage to them if you bottom out

04OFF
11th June 2014, 09:50 AM
Yeh thats what i was saying (obviously not very well, lol :redface:)

The saggy standard suspension id been using, had 2" lift shocks already fitted.

wykenrico
11th June 2014, 12:54 PM
i see i see i would probably do the shocks for now then will just change the springs and mount as soon as i finish the trip and save some money.

thanks guys

lhurley
11th June 2014, 02:33 PM
If your worried about bottoming out your shocks, which I don't think they should, why not get some spring spacers. They are cheap, and will be fine until you can get some coin for lifted springs.