PDA

View Full Version : How often do you get out to the bush. Camping, Wheeling or both

jay see
10th June 2014, 01:23 AM
I've being camping for a good part of 20 years on and off. We stopped for a few years until the youngest was out of nappies during the day. We use to be able to camp at least 1/2 a dozen times a year during the winter the colder the bigger the fire would have to be as long as it didn't rain. However the last few years have been difficult to get away, between work,family funtions and the kids playing sport, we are luckily to go once of twice a year. :1087: The last one was Easter 2013:frown:
As for the wheeling part I haven't gone (as a driver :driving2:) in 4 years. So I've got a lot of time to make up guys. wink, wink who's going out soon.

Would like to hear from the Patrol family how often you go

Family4x4
10th June 2014, 01:27 AM
Not nearly as much as I would like, the kids have slowed it down over the last few years however our youngest is almost old enough for extended trips.

jay see
10th June 2014, 07:21 PM
the kids have slowed it down over the last few years
I bet we aren't the only ones.

AB
10th June 2014, 07:29 PM
Always have out family Easter break at the murray and recently we have been doing a lot of forum meets which is great!!!

I would like to aim at a once a month cycle but as always, work and finance holds us down!!!

RubberDuckieGQ
10th June 2014, 07:46 PM
We probably get out 3-4 times per year camping/4WDing: Easter and Queens Bday are locked in, and then usually organise one other long weekend, plus a quick getaway between xmas/nye to recover from holiday season craziness

Would love to do more day trips or overnighters, or even just doing a Sat arvo where everyone works on their cars .. but it's hard with everyone being so busy!

Bloodyaussie
10th June 2014, 07:46 PM
We have been averaging about 3 -4 forum meets a year with 2 being big... then there are the smaller meets with a few mates plus getting back into hunting so thats a bunch of nights away in a year..... wish it was even more.

Winnie
10th June 2014, 07:51 PM
I'm at least a dozen times a year...

Bloodyaussie
10th June 2014, 07:56 PM

Hate you....... but you knew that.

jay see
10th June 2014, 07:57 PM
Sounds like everyone wants to get out more.
Ahh. Only if we didn't have such busy lives.

jay see
10th June 2014, 07:58 PM
I use to, pre kids

AB
10th June 2014, 07:59 PM
As soon as my kids are 18 bang...get out.

Selling the house, downsize to a block somewhere in the bush, getting a nice caravan and endless camping!!!

rusty_nail
10th June 2014, 08:03 PM

Selling the house, downsize to a block somewhere in the bush, getting a nice caravan and endless camping!!!

Lol only 18 years to go big fella

Hodge
10th June 2014, 08:04 PM
Definitely not enough. Young kid at home, single income, countless weekend work etc... The ironic thing is.... Before the Patrol I had a Navara which I spent too much time, doing up. During this time I had plenty of time to go out, but I didn't due to my constant visualization of the car "not being ready".
Now tables have turned, I have a car thats bush ready, but I don't have time. Go figure.

AB
Lol only 18 years to go big fella

17 and 10 months thank you very much!!!!

I might get one of those calendars like for Christmas where you take a chocolate out each day but this will have $1 coins...lol

Winnie
Hate you....... but you knew that.

Not my fault you had a misspent youth!

jay see
10th June 2014, 08:19 PM

Me and the Mrs have being saying that for a while, but I've got 8 years to go :animierte-smilies-t

megatexture
10th June 2014, 11:57 PM
Camping is almost every long weekend, our son who is now 1 went camping 6 times before he was 4 months old but we have only been about 3 times this year so far unfortunately.

When the gu is in shape we usually go wheeling every 2 months on average I'd say.

macca86
11th June 2014, 08:24 AM
We head bush every month but it's not camping it's to our family farm in stanthorpe so kinda cheating as we stay in a one bedroom quarters but we bring the dogs 4wding motorbikes go fishing and hunting on the 1500 property or the it her farm 600 acre place. I'd love to be able to afford a lazy 300 acres or so run some cattle or vegies and potter about but one can only dream

threedogs
11th June 2014, 09:01 AM
Used to go a fair bit , after this next Op I'll be back and into it again,
love the Woods point area an easy trip if you want to see the country is Woods point to Marysville.
The Murray keeps drawing me to catch [Moby] a decent Murray Cod, I have Bob poised and waiting
ready to go. Locally Tallarook is ok.

BigRAWesty
11th June 2014, 10:29 AM
I'd say we would get 4-5 good ones a year.
But we do a few day trips to..
We haven't let the kids limit us. We've just adapted.
This was the patrol packed for our 11 day echuca, bright dargo trip..

And the girls had all blankets and pillows between them..
I didn't get the gmv, to be honest didn't wanna know.. Lol

oncedisturbed
11th June 2014, 10:53 AM
Camping I try 3-4 times a year and try wheeling 6-8 weeks but am having withdrawals from both since the back went again

Sent from my iPad using Motorculture mobile app

gaddy
11th June 2014, 11:47 AM
In the last 18 months we've camped at
Inskip once
Bribie once
Tewah twice
Fraser once 3 weeks
Straddie once 2 weeks

Day trips
Bribie 8
Glass house 2
Duck rd 3
Deagular range 2
Helidon crows nest 1

Think I need to get out more often :)

gaddy
1st March 2015, 10:51 PM
In the last 18 months we've camped at
Inskip once
Bribie once
Tewah twice
Fraser once 3 weeks
Straddie once 2 weeks

Day trips
Bribie 8
Glass house 2
Duck rd 3
Deagular range 2
Helidon crows nest 1

Think I need to get out more often :)

And since then :)
Fraser 2 weeks
Bribie 6 trips
Ballina 1week 7 days of beach
Iluka 12 mile beach 4 days
Beach near repton nsw 3 days
Ballina another 3 days
Stanthorpe 1

mudski
1st March 2015, 11:14 PM
No way near enough of either.

cgm
1st March 2015, 11:20 PM
There's quite a mix isn't there. I've managed to go camping 3 times in the last year, but twice were sort of "cheating" one of the young blokes at work took us to his Dad's block up near the Grampians. Slept in an old caravan and had bbq and utensils, etc. all ready to go.

When I was in Saudi I had a better routine. In summer it was way too hot, but out of that I reckon during the peak 6 months of good weather I managed to go between 2-4 weekends each month just for an overnight camp and decent drive. I had a couple of mates that would usually join me and we'd pack our trucks and go to work loaded and head off about 4:30pm and then be back and still have the second day of the weekend to do family stuff. We managed one big family camping/touring trip in 3 years and I managed 2 deep desert 1 week trips (really isolated stuff the family didn't want to come on).

I'd like to do more short overnight camps, but also just Saturday arvo drives locally. Miss that I don't really yet have a reliable set of friends back here that will want me to ring and say let's leave in an hour for 4-5 hours, have a play and come back. Problem is we all seem to get too busy. Don't know how to solve that? Once you all work it out let me know :)

Covo71
2nd March 2015, 07:30 AM
Trying to get away every 3 to 4 weeks just for the weekend. Hard with a 2 and 6 year olds but we push to get away. I want to make sure they have memories that don't involve an iPad.

Bob
2nd March 2015, 07:51 AM
Now that my Wife is retiring we hope to go once or twice a month.
Tentatively planning a extended trip along the Murray (6 months or so)

jay see
2nd March 2015, 08:22 AM
Fraser 2 weeks
Bribie 6 trips
Ballina another 3 days
Stanthorpe 1

Luckily bugger.

BigRAWesty
2nd March 2015, 08:51 AM
There's quite a mix isn't there. I've managed to go camping 3 times in the last year, but twice were sort of "cheating" one of the young blokes at work took us to his Dad's block up near the Grampians. Slept in an old caravan and had bbq and utensils, etc. all ready to go. When I was in Saudi I had a better routine. In summer it was way too hot, but out of that I reckon during the peak 6 months of good weather I managed to go between 2-4 weekends each month just for an overnight camp and decent drive. I had a couple of mates that would usually join me and we'd pack our trucks and go to work loaded and head off about 4:30pm and then be back and still have the second day of the weekend to do family stuff. We managed one big family camping/touring trip in 3 years and I managed 2 deep desert 1 week trips (really isolated stuff the family didn't want to come on). I'd like to do more short overnight camps, but also just Saturday arvo drives locally. Miss that I don't really yet have a reliable set of friends back here that will want me to ring and say let's leave in an hour for 4-5 hours, have a play and come back. Problem is we all seem to get too busy. Don't know how to solve that? Once you all work it out let me know :)

Only been to the gampions once. But we took the scenic road in over the range.
Saw lots of 4x4 only tracks but due to the short stay gave them a miss.
Have you done any of them or know of any good location around there for a play??

BigRAWesty
2nd March 2015, 08:52 AM
Trying to get away every 3 to 4 weeks just for the weekend. Hard with a 2 and 6 year olds but we push to get away. I want to make sure they have memories that don't involve an iPad.

Same here.
One of the up sides to shift work is I get a long weekend every 3 weeks. Well finish Friday morning and not back until Monday arvo.
So we aim to get away on those weekends.

threedogs
2nd March 2015, 09:31 AM
Before my 4x4s I had a XT ute decked out for camping and a HQ wagon after that again decked out for camping.
Before that it was motorbikes and more motor bikes, flimsy tent on the back and a bottle of stones to ward off the chills.
And before that Ive been travelling and camping with mum and dad from a very young age,every where from the Flinders to QLD.
In the early days it was a 38 chev and later a FC wagon, bloody great memories, it's true times were simpler, the dollar was strong,lol
whats not to love about touring around OZ, I do miss all that

cgm
2nd March 2015, 09:54 PM
... Have you done any of them or know of any good location around there for a play??

Nah, we didn't do much. Drove around a little bit nearby, but not much 4x4 needed. On the last trip we drove into Halls Gap and headed back (in a southerly direction) down a track further west from the main road. But it was pretty tame. Might be a bit different if it was wet. I'll probably be up there again, so was planning to ask around. I think some of the guys from the local club have been up there a few times, but not sure if just to look at the scenery or actually to do some challenging 4x4. If I find out anything I'll update.

BigRAWesty
2nd March 2015, 10:18 PM
Nah, we didn't do much. Drove around a little bit nearby, but not much 4x4 needed. On the last trip we drove into Halls Gap and headed back (in a southerly direction) down a track further west from the main road. But it was pretty tame. Might be a bit different if it was wet. I'll probably be up there again, so was planning to ask around. I think some of the guys from the local club have been up there a few times, but not sure if just to look at the scenery or actually to do some challenging 4x4. If I find out anything I'll update.

Yea sweet. We'll organise a meet. I'm sure a few melbournights will come if it's a long weekend.
Might even get a few from adelaide to

SonOf
3rd March 2015, 08:54 PM
Used to get out a bit before we bought the farm, now it has been 5 years since a camping trip, miss it heaps but will be selling up here in the next year or so and plan on travelling before settling in or around Melbourne.

Avo
3rd March 2015, 11:01 PM
atleast once a month..even if it's just down the beach for a fish overnight or down the the local windy harbour(little fishing village..no power no phones no nothing..just camping and fishing) for a catch up with mates and a fish....uaually do not have to travel more than 100km so it's an easy option.....never used to go camping before we had a family and I'm supprised how many stop doing it once they have kids..

Avo
8th March 2015, 06:59 PM
just clocked up our 5th camping and 4wd trip since the middle of November..live it....drive it

Covo71
11th March 2015, 08:17 AM
atleast once a month..even if it's just down the beach for a fish overnight or down the the local windy harbour(little fishing village..no power no phones no nothing..just camping and fishing) for a catch up with mates and a fish....uaually do not have to travel more than 100km so it's an easy option.....never used to go camping before we had a family and I'm supprised how many stop doing it once they have kids..

I am hearing you. I want to get the kids out as much as possible. We didn't even have a car when I grew up so I want to make sure they remember something fun. Went down and stayed at Belanglo state forest last weekend. I thought telling the missus about Ivan Millat she would have freaked but she actually started reading up all about it. Not what I expected. lol

gaddy
12th May 2015, 12:34 PM
Fraser 2 weeks
Bribie 6 trips
Ballina another 3 days
Stanthorpe 1

Add another

Teewah beach 2 days camping
Teewah beach 3 days camping
Clarence river area 5 days
Bribie 3 day trips
Duck road 2 ( kids like the tree top walk )

threedogs
12th May 2015, 02:58 PM
I am hearing you. I want to get the kids out as much as possible. We didn't even have a car when I grew up so I want to make sure they remember something fun. Went down and stayed at Belanglo state forest last weekend. I thought telling the missus about Ivan Millat she would have freaked but she actually started reading up all about it. Not what I expected. lol

Milats brother reckons there are another doz in the bush, tread lightly eh lol

hellfish
12th May 2015, 08:56 PM
For me I've only been out twice in the last year, one was our 2 week trip to Tassie and the other was a weekend hunting trip to woods point, I'm hoping by after winter I will be over a recurring back problem and back in the saddle.

Patrol'n
12th May 2015, 11:07 PM
We've been out 5 times this year camping and 2 times this year wheeling, been a couple of weeks now since our last trip, I'm itching to do the next one!

gaddy
26th October 2015, 05:42 PM
Add another

Teewah beach 2 days camping
Teewah beach 3 days camping
Clarence river area 5 days
Bribie 3 day trips
Duck road 2 ( kids like the tree top walk )
4 more bribie trips
Weekend a teewah
3 weeks birdsville strezz inniminka ets
And 2 more bribie trips

DX grunt
26th October 2015, 06:07 PM
My young fella is wiring up most of my 'toys', so hopefully in 2 weeks time when I go on hols, my Travel Buddy Marine Oven, rooftop DVD player, reversing cameras, rear work lights, 1000w inverter, the red light on top of my sand flag and more importantly, my 200w Aurora light bar, will all be working - which will make life a lot easier.

I've paid my VKS737 network annual subscription, so I'm right to go. lol.

Then there's the 'shakedown' to see if, I mean how, it all works. haha

Avo
26th October 2015, 10:03 PM
looks like we have to organise a meetup of some sorts DX

DX grunt
26th October 2015, 10:07 PM
looks like we have to organise a meetup of some sorts DX

Absolutely. I gotta plan my 3 weeks off, starting 2 weeks from today (9th Nov). Haven't seen trees, green grass and cows in the one day for such a long time. PML.

Avo
26th October 2015, 10:14 PM
Absolutely. I gotta plan my 3 weeks off, starting 2 weeks from today (9th Nov). Haven't seen trees, green grass and cows in the one day for such a long time. PML.

Well off ya go then,go organise one....

DX grunt
26th October 2015, 10:15 PM
Well off ya go then,go organise one....

I'll PM you.

Avo
26th October 2015, 10:16 PM

shit mate,pitch ya tent here and you'll see all 3 as you wake up.....your welcome anytime on your travels..

DX grunt
26th October 2015, 10:18 PM
shit mate,pitch ya tent here and you'll see all 3 as you wake up.....your welcome anytime on your travels..

Thanks. Will do. I've pm'd you my mobile. Will be in touch soon.

Rossco

Rossko07
26th October 2015, 11:10 PM
I have been once this year back in Aug with my eldest son (2yr old) since Christmas last year. Before kids we were racking up quite a few trips a year but its normal to slow down when kids become apart of your life. Our twins will be 9 months old by Christmas time this year & that will be our first big trip since last. Just have to plan better with the kids. Hope to get out more next year. 1 year off is enough!!