PDA

View Full Version : Tent heater

megatexture
9th June 2014, 09:37 PM
Anyone seen a heater somewhat like this one selling in aus ? If so let me know !

http://zodi.com/tent-heaters/hot-vent-tent-heater

I like the idea of having the flame, gas and carbon dioxide created left outside the camper but I'd like it to be versitile to swap from tent to camper etc depending what we take.

and your typical diesel heater seems like a pain and are bloody expensive.

Or any ideas would be great!

BigRAWesty
9th June 2014, 09:39 PM
A hot water bottle ya big girl...

BigRAWesty
9th June 2014, 09:40 PM
Or a jumper...

mudski
9th June 2014, 09:46 PM
...or extra blankets.
Sorry mate I can't comment on heaters. I usually just drink to I nearly pass out if it gets too cold...

Edit : Jeepers! I just looked at the link on the heater. where in the hell would you store that? Looks huge.

AB
9th June 2014, 09:47 PM
It would cost ya $10 a night to stay warm.

Just gotta wear thermos, jumper, traccys, sleeping bag and full balaclava or beanie mate in the snow, that's all you can do really.

Winnie
9th June 2014, 09:48 PM
Or a jumper...

No way! In bed the less clothes you have on the warmer you are. A good sleeping bag and you should be right

Stropp
9th June 2014, 10:08 PM
Airtight sleeping bag and plenty of pea and ham soup, all the hot air you need!

megatexture
9th June 2014, 10:15 PM
Its Not for me but for the kids lol we put them in thermals, sleeping bags, blankets and the farkers still come up in our bed because its too cold.

They have a single bottle unit/burner unit that's half the size,

MudRunnerTD
9th June 2014, 10:20 PM
Wow I like it!! Wonder how much??

I have a mate that has instled a diesel heater into his Camper and loves it.

megatexture
9th June 2014, 10:24 PM
Yea it's the best heater I can find that's not a fixed in diesel unit and all the diesel ones I've seen are like $1000 and I'm not spending that much on it !

I'm guessing its just a heat exchanger/ intercooler style device with a small stove under it and a small computer fan attached ... Could make something I'm sure but it just depends on the price and if I can find something ready built.

Winnie
9th June 2014, 10:28 PM
Suck it up!

MudRunnerTD
9th June 2014, 10:29 PM
Suck it up!

You wait till you have kids Winnie!! They give you another perspective mate. Cheeky bastard!

megatexture
9th June 2014, 10:30 PM
Suck it up!

That's what I wanna say to the missus but I can't with bloody kids in the bed! Lmao

MudRunnerTD
9th June 2014, 10:32 PM
Yea it's the best heater I can find that's not a fixed in diesel unit and all the diesel ones I've seen are like $1000 and I'm not spending that much on it !

I'm guessing its just a heat exchanger/ intercooler style device with a small stove under it and a small computer fan attached ... Could make something I'm sure but it just depends on the price and if I can find something ready built.

Yeah thy are pretty exxy! But, my mate reckon it costs him next to nothing to run all night and if your using your camper allot then it would not take that much time to cost out against bottles.

megatexture
9th June 2014, 10:39 PM
Yea thats something ill have to weight up but I know you can also fit a 9kg bottle to it also making the gas lil cheaper but yea ive read the diesel units are very efficient aswell

Cuppa
10th June 2014, 12:10 AM
Its Not for me but for the kids lol we put them in thermals, sleeping bags, blankets and the farkers still come up in our bed because its too cold.

They have a single bottle unit/burner unit that’s half the size,

Was going to suggest a partner, but I guess not if it’s for the kids. :)

TBH I don’t like the look of it. What happens if it gets knocked over? Would you let it run all night - if not who’s going to get up & go outside to switch it off? Gonna be expensive to run on those canisters.
If the kids wanna come into your bed when you’ve provided them with warm sleeping gear, it’s not because they’re cold!

Not suggesting it for a tent, but diesel heaters can be had for $700 these days.

04OFF
10th June 2014, 12:50 AM
Have you considered a Inverter and a electric blanket ?

Can even get 12v ones (don't know how good they work)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HEATED-TRAVEL-RUG-SOFT-CARAVAN-FLEECE-ELECTRIC-THROW-CAR-BLANKET-12-VOLT-DC-AUTO-/171321511887?pt=AU_Bedding&hash=item27e38ecfcf

Robo
10th June 2014, 01:02 AM
Cheapest portable diesel unit I've come across on the net is $1300 au.
And dearest $2500.
you can also get dual function,
air heater, hot water heater combo unit, again more $$.

new computer isn't letting me paste links sorry.
search portable diesel heater.
caravan repair retailers sell em.
but recon ya could build a box or frame easily and dyi.

sil3nt_dr3ams
10th June 2014, 04:23 AM
Thats really cute, does it come with an attachment you can stem iron your dresses?

megatexture
10th June 2014, 07:09 AM
Was going to suggest a partner, but I guess not if it’s for the kids. :)

TBH I don’t like the look of it. What happens if it gets knocked over? Would you let it run all night - if not who’s going to get up & go outside to switch it off? Gonna be expensive to run on those canisters.
If the kids wanna come into your bed when you’ve provided them with warm sleeping gear, it’s not because they’re cold!

Not suggesting it for a tent, but diesel heaters can be had for $700 these days.

It can attach to a larger bottle also, is that 700$ second hand ?

megatexture
10th June 2014, 07:12 AM
Have you considered a Inverter and a electric blanket ?

Can even get 12v ones (don't know how good they work)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HEATED-TRAVEL-RUG-SOFT-CARAVAN-FLEECE-ELECTRIC-THROW-CAR-BLANKET-12-VOLT-DC-AUTO-/171321511887?pt=AU_Bedding&hash=item27e38ecfcf

This could be an option (12v) but I'm not keen on the inverter and 240 blanket, not sure if they piss the bed or nappy leaks how that would go ...

megatexture
10th June 2014, 07:14 AM
Cheapest portable diesel unit I've come across on the net is $1300 au.
And dearest $2500.
you can also get dual function,
air heater, hot water heater combo unit, again more $$.

new computer isn't letting me paste links sorry.
search portable diesel heater.
caravan repair retailers sell em.
but recon ya could build a box or frame easily and dyi.

That's about the prices I'm seeing also.

threedogs
10th June 2014, 08:01 AM
Anyone seen a heater somewhat like this one selling in aus ? If so let me know !

http://zodi.com/tent-heaters/hot-vent-tent-heater

I like the idea of having the flame, gas and carbon dioxide created left outside the camper but I'd like it to be versitile to swap from tent to camper etc depending what we take.

and your typical diesel heater seems like a pain and are bloody expensive.

Or any ideas would be great!

I thought you were happily married, lol
You can get 12v electric blankets for about $70 del from Ebay

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Electric-Heated-Blanket-for-Automobiles-or-Camping-Heats-up-With-Just-12-Volts-/370759085779?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5652f6aed3

Bloodyaussie
10th June 2014, 08:04 AM
Im for suck it up princess but know too well that when you have kids and its freezing cold like for example at Dargo when all the kids on that first morning were miserable was mostly because they were freezing cold having something like this makes your life so much easier.... upon saying that I dont see myself buying one and my kids will just have to harden up !!!!

Each to there own or budget !!!

04OFF
10th June 2014, 08:54 AM
This could be an option (12v) but I'm not keen on the inverter and 240 blanket, not sure if they piss the bed or nappy leaks how that would go ...

Might be worth more investigation, as I think the controller is the only bit that would worry getting wet, think how many old people with bladder problems would use em, plus heaps of Electric Blankets advertise they can be washed, so the electrics cant be that effected by water (i realise you dont wash em plugged in tho, lol)

You should just buy a 12v one Troy and tell us if it works ?

Cuppa
10th June 2014, 09:04 AM
is that 700$ second hand ?

No, it’s for new. From Pinnacle Wholesalers based in Ballarat. I have no direct experience of these units but know of people who have fitted them to motorhomes & been happy with their choice.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PLANAR-2KW-DIESEL-AIR-HEATER-CARAVAN-MOTORHOME-RV-BUS-TRUCK-JAYCO-/321389637157?pt=Caravan_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ad450ae25&_uhb=1 (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/705-53470-19255-0/1?campid=5336709507&toolid=10001&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fitm%2FPLANAR-2KW-DIESEL-AIR-HEATER-CARAVAN-MOTORHOME-RV-BUS-TRUCK-JAYCO-%2F321389637157%3Fpt%3DCaravan_Parts_Accessories%2 6amp%3Bhash%3Ditem4ad450ae25%26amp%3B_uhb%3D1)

There is also a chap in Turkey supplying brand name diesel heaters (Eberspacher & Webasto) & parts at discounted prices. A lot of people have bought from him & found him very helpful & knowledgeable, but the prices, as might be expected for brand names are higher, but remain very competitive compared to buying elsewhere.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/WorldWideDieselHeatersSparesSupply/Diesel-Air-Heaters-/_i.html?_fsub=3206992016&_sid=718451636&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322 (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/705-53470-19255-0/1?campid=5336709507&toolid=10001&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fstores.ebay.co.uk%2FWorldWideDie selHeatersSparesSupply%2FDiesel-Air-Heaters-%2F_i.html%3F_fsub%3D3206992016%26amp%3B_sid%3D718 451636%26amp%3B_trksid%3Dp4634.c0.m322)

EDIT: Just in case there is any confusion, I am not suggesting that diesel heaters are suitable for use in a tent, they are not. They require the heater itself, plus a diesel tank, plus ducting, plus a 12v power source. Their correct working can also be affected by the way in which their intake & exhaust pipes are routed. So great for permanent installations, but definitely not for tent/portable use. Their are also gas powered heaters which are similar but these are more expensive to run. There are also variations between the different diesel types which effects how much 12v power they need & also how noisy they are. Having camped with folk that use them I can say that some are very quiet & some are quite disturbing (at least to the campers around them, the folk using the noisy ones seemed oblivious to the noise inside their motorhomes).

threedogs
10th June 2014, 09:05 AM
I have 12v electric seats and they get nice and toastie,
a 12v blanket would work the same IMO. For under $50 to stay warm
is a no brainer depending on power draw which I'd imagine would be heaps.

pearcey
10th June 2014, 09:21 AM
Sorry guys but its just more crap to carry.
Our forefathers didn`t carry all this stuff when they opened up this land,so as you have to carry bedding get the best you can afford and leave the gimmicks home.

Cuppa
10th June 2014, 09:46 AM
Our forefathers didn`t carry all this stuff when they opened up this land,so as you have to carry bedding get the best you can afford and leave the gimmicks home.

I tend to agree, but might soften on the issue of hot water bottles. ;)

04OFF
10th June 2014, 09:57 AM
a no brainer depending on power draw which I'd imagine would be heaps.

The one in the link i posted earlier is rated at 12V 50W

Well, i guess youll be taking the horse and leaving the patrol at home next trip then pearcey :o (hahaha !)

BigRAWesty
10th June 2014, 10:47 AM
No way! In bed the less clothes you have on the warmer you are. A good sleeping bag and you should be right

For sure. And clothes just make stuff difficult.. But outside...

And I'm surprised our kids did so well in dargo..
We got them minus 8 bags, but are kids bags, half size.. Maybe that's the trick..
The slept in normal fanny jarmies, with socks on, and both on air beds..
We found the mornings outta bed to be the worst, especially matilda the youngest..
So we invested in some decent jackets for next time..

threedogs
10th June 2014, 11:34 AM
so its back to Coolgardie coolers to keep food fresh and Kero lamps for lighting.

I think our fore fathers would love what led technology brings to the table.
they slept in huts in the high country with a roaring fire inside didn't they

Sir Roofy
10th June 2014, 01:55 PM
Three hot waterbottles each ---feet ------back and tummy
will be warm as toast

Robo
10th June 2014, 02:46 PM
Don't worry bloke,
get ya heater and get out and about 10 fold compared to the rest of us weaklings.

won't be to cold to get busy when the kids go to bed!!
who's laughing then.

mudnut
10th June 2014, 03:17 PM
I know, I have too much time on my hands.

megatexture
10th June 2014, 06:18 PM
Might be worth more investigation, as I think the controller is the only bit that would worry getting wet, think how many old people with bladder problems would use em, plus heaps of Electric Blankets advertise they can be washed, so the electrics cant be that effected by water (i realise you dont wash em plugged in tho, lol)

You should just buy a 12v one Troy and tell us if it works ?

Im seriously considering this option possibly even on a timer so its only running half the time also

04OFF
10th June 2014, 07:05 PM
Im seriously considering this option possibly even on a timer so its only running half the time also

Yeh, maybe if it could be made to turn on 15min every hour, it may keep the chill off without burning the battery ?

Something like this may work, as the on and off can be set eight times each day......

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LCD-Digital-Power-Programmable-Timer-Time-Switch-Relay-AC-12V-16A-168Hours-TR-/400581191088?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item5d447fe5b0

Orrrr, what about a automatic 12V temperature controller/relay, that way you could set a temp to be maintained in the little ones bed automatically, no need for a timer, and wont run if the bed is already warm enough ?

megatexture
10th June 2014, 07:57 PM
I think it will be to hard to know what temperature to set it at for a thermostat relay setup. Timer would be a winner IMO.