PDA

View Full Version : GQ Radius arm axle mount help!

red1234
9th June 2014, 09:32 PM
Hi guys,

Im in need of help with my front front radius arm axle mount. Went camping over the weekend and noticed the front end was a bit wobbly over bumps. Looked underneath and noticed the radius arm bush looked worse for wear and the mount seemed bent? Im not sure if its meant to be that way though. If it is bent, does anyone know what Im up for to fix it?

Photos attached. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

nissannewby
9th June 2014, 09:36 PM
Has the vehicle ever been in an accident or rollover?

89gqpatrol4x4
9th June 2014, 09:39 PM
have you checked the panhard bushes aswell?

mudnut
9th June 2014, 09:51 PM
Hello, red1234, and welcome to the forum. This is what a radius arm mount should look like. Yours has taken a hell of a beating.

nissannewby
9th June 2014, 09:54 PM
This is what a radius arm mount should look like. Yours has taken a hell of a beating.

That was my thought. It's had a hell of hit like someone has t boned it especially to push the from and rear side out of wack. Should be an easy enough fix though get it straightened and throw some bushes in.

I also we be having a very hard look at everything else while you are there.

red1234
9th June 2014, 10:44 PM
Damn thats not good news. Only got the car it recently, went through two 4wd mechanics unnoticed, one to do the front wheel bearings. Does anyone know where can get this fixed, a suspension place or smash repairs? Im assuming its essential to have it fixed? Is it worth getting them to swap the bushes as well? I heard they can be a pain to get out.

Thanks for the info guys.

red1234
9th June 2014, 10:46 PM
Also, any idea of what it might cost?

red1234
9th June 2014, 10:53 PM
Also in reply to the first questions - I havent owned the car for long so not sure if its been in an accident, but seems like the rest of the car is in decent nick.

The panhard rod bushes dont seem cracked or worn, but havent checked them for movement.

mudnut
9th June 2014, 11:05 PM
Patrol a part Lilydale sell the bushes for around $100 a set. They can be done without a hoist, but you need a hydraulic press and a drift to push out and replace the bushes.
I paid a bloke who owns a lathe, $10 to machine up a drift. As for straightening the mounts, some one who has done it may be able to tell you how to do them.

red1234
10th June 2014, 09:54 AM
Cheers mudnut, will look into methods to bend it back. Would think it could be done with just a hammer?

BigRAWesty
10th June 2014, 12:21 PM
Unfortunately mate I'd be replacing your axle..
Anyone can bent it back straight but after a hit like that God knows what else is outta whack or fractured..

mudski
10th June 2014, 01:20 PM
Wow! That looks like its taken a hit from the side. You could straighten it out yourself but without the right tools, oxy and some sort of heavy hammer and what ever else you would need, it would be difficult to do at home. I would be looking at getting a second hand housing and swapping everything over. Or take it to a smash repair place and ask them if they could straighten it for how many $$$.
Being bent like that surely the panhard rod will be bent too. I'd be taking the panhard off aswell and checking for damage to the mounting pin on the diff and mount on the chassis.