PDA

View Full Version : How to cross rivers in croc country?

Flo-w
8th June 2014, 05:34 PM
I'm soon to head up to the cape and I wonder how to cross rivers / creeks there as well as elsewhere in croc country. Usually you should walk the crossing first, but with crocs in the water? I see that a lot in videos as well where people just walk it anyway. Some crossings on e.g. the Tele Track seems to be so technical (huge holes in the rock) that you kinda have to walk it.

So what do you guys do?

BillsGU
8th June 2014, 05:54 PM
Wait for someone else to do it first and watch where they put their wheels. Second option is to let your navigator walk the crossing. Third choice is use the barge. Last choice is go somewhere else.

threedogs
8th June 2014, 07:42 PM
went to the Tip in '83 the only river we walked was the Jardine[never again]
that was only to get video and camera gear over. Then waited and waited ,finally a hilux full of locals went straight in
no hesitation, we signalled for our driver to come across and made it easy

TimE
8th June 2014, 08:00 PM
Yep, the old rule, always follow someone else into water ................ or not if they drown (:

AB
8th June 2014, 08:43 PM
I always check out the top of the water and how the river flows.

White tops and ripples generally means shallow.

calm water, swirls and change of direction of flow equals deeper or drop offs etc.

That's me anyway, take that advice with a grain of salt!

jack
8th June 2014, 10:05 PM
Back up towards the water, as soon as you hear someone coming from the other side quickly back in and then drive out.
Wait till they see your wet tyre marks and then watch them cross, if they make it then do a Uturn and follow their path.

Actually it will be so busy up there you'll find plenty of people to follow across.

FNQGU
8th June 2014, 10:22 PM
Which croc infested river are you thinking about? The OTL will all be fine, unless you are talking about the upper crossing on the Jardine, but I haven't been that way for a lot of years. Not even sure it is still open. I wouldn't recommend it unless you really are wanting to push your luck, unless the water is right down, and I doubt it at the moment.

The Cape is all still pretty wet at the moment so you should see a bit of water.

Family4x4
8th June 2014, 10:35 PM
Jardine crossing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQM4jlRmpnE

FNQGU
8th June 2014, 10:38 PM
Flo-w, check this link. It summarises things pretty well. You will probably have a bit more water around though.

http://www.cape-york-australia.com/old-telegraph-track.html

Nolan's has a softish bottom and has caught many inexperienced drivers out.

BigRAWesty
9th June 2014, 10:50 AM
Take a gun..

Flo-w
9th June 2014, 11:00 AM
OK, not going to drive through the Jardine River. Didn't plan to.

FNQGU: again it recommends walking some of those crossings. I reckon to take some time and wait for someone else to drive it first makes the most sense as most have suggested here.

threedogs
9th June 2014, 11:04 AM
Just noticed the alloy boats that Parks and wildlife use in the Territory.
The whole boat is nearly caged in, so a normal boat is no good as a man was
taken from his boat this week by a croc.

When we walked it[Jardine] in 83 and survived after arriving back in Melb a bloke was killed by a croc at the ferry crossing
thinking it was safe to cool down with a dip there. but Crocs being creatures of habit knew this and waited and waited and waited
then pow gone. It was mid September and the Jardine was one metre where you could drive across then

Lewy
9th June 2014, 05:13 PM
Just finished the tele track and it was some of the easiest 4wding I have ever done!! Just walk them there are no crocks in the tele track crossings!! All crossing where easy as!! Nolans brook was the easiest! After talking to heaps of people up there I am the only one so far to drive in and out of palm creek didn't use the winch once! Pretty happy with that lol...
Do your self a favour and get the Hema Cape York Atlas & Guide book. Bloody good book with heaps of info!!!

We did it South to North some people had trouble doing it North to South.

Lewy

89gqpatrol4x4
9th June 2014, 09:46 PM
hey lewy I have heard some tracks south of the jardine are closed due to the late wet. Is this correct? as we leave in 13 days :Yahoo!:

Lewy
10th June 2014, 07:14 AM
Yes that is the only problem with going this time of the year. We've missed out on quite a few tracks as they are still closed including the northern section of the Lakefield NP (the track leading out from Musgrave Station - the actual Battlecamp road is still open down the southern end), Cape Melviille, Starcke Coast, the Frenchmens and the Creb are still closed. Even the Bloomfield is rumoured to be currently impassable as we have had soo much rain in the last few days but that will only be short term.

But in saying that We are happy as that we came early as there is just way to much traffic up here for us now!!

Lewy

jack
10th June 2014, 11:52 PM
Hi, check this site for the latest closures
http://www.cook.qld.gov.au/web/guest/current-road-status

Flo-w
11th June 2014, 10:11 AM
Looks like I've to cut my Lakefield trip short. Late wet season by the looks of it.

MEGOMONSTER
11th June 2014, 09:34 PM

FNQGU
11th June 2014, 09:45 PM
Would that be Cahills Crossing at High Tide? Looking back from the Arnhem Land side of the river? Bloody looks like it and there would be no surprises to see that sort of sight there either!

P4trol
12th June 2014, 06:14 AM
Yep

Speed kills:

Drive a 2.8 and live longer!

P4trol
12th June 2014, 06:19 AM
Just finished the tele track and it was some of the easiest 4wding I have ever done!! Just walk them there are no crocks in the tele track crossings!! All crossing where easy as!! Nolans brook was the easiest! After talking to heaps of people up there I am the only one so far to drive in and out of palm creek didn't use the winch once! Pretty happy with that lol...

Lewy

If you are keen, give the old coach Road, maytown to Laura a go. I just pulled my trailer through, and I'm not sure I would take it again.

Only do if you are keen and equipped. .

Speed kills:

Drive a 2.8 and live longer!