PDA

View Full Version : doing wheel bearings

Boagie
12th February 2011, 11:53 PM
just curious to know if i want to do my front or rear wheel bearings, if i will lose oil out of diffs?--question being ,i just put redline oil in them before i thought about doing them.i dont want to lose any or dirty it

YNOT
12th February 2011, 11:59 PM
As you go to do the bearings do them one corner at a time and jack that end of the diff up so it's a few inches higher than the other side to keep the oil from running out. You may still loose some oil from the front diff as it has a higher oil level than the rear diff. Clean as much dirt from the hub area as you can before you pull it apart.

Tony

Boagie
13th February 2011, 12:03 AM
cheers for the tips

Silver
19th February 2011, 01:54 AM
Looking at the manual there are a couple of seals that are meant to keep the oil in the diff centre, and the grease in the hubs?

Silver
20th February 2011, 06:14 PM
as I worked my way into the GQ front axle, no diff oil while removing bearings, however did strike it when I pulled out the cv and axle - for some reason I thought that the diff oil level would be at the lowest point where the oil seal meets the axle - the oil seal being inboard of the swivel hub in the diff housing.

As I've had the Patrol for a few years now, decided to drop the diff oil. Looked a nice colour, however the magnet on the drain plug was a bit furry :-(

YNOT
20th February 2011, 06:43 PM
Looking at the manual there are a couple of seals that are meant to keep the oil in the diff centre, and the grease in the hubs?

Correct.

Tony

YNOT
20th February 2011, 06:45 PM
as I worked my way into the GQ front axle, no diff oil while removing bearings, however did strike it when I pulled out the cv and axle - for some reason I thought that the diff oil level would be at the lowest point where the oil seal meets the axle - the oil seal being inboard of the swivel hub in the diff housing.

As I've had the Patrol for a few years now, decided to drop the diff oil. Looked a nice colour, however the magnet on the drain plug was a bit furry :-(

The oil level in the front diff is quite high because it is a high pinion diff.

A bit of fur on the diff drain plug magnet is fine and very normal, chunks of metal are bad.

Tony

Silver
20th February 2011, 09:33 PM
phew, good news about the fur.

The RHS swivel housing had some red rust in it - assume the water found its way in, at some stage in the past, through the free wheeling hub, past the hub bearings, into the stub axle tube, alongside the axle and ended up at the outboard end of the diff. No sign of water in the current set of hub bearings....

Made the bottom trunnion bearing a bit reluctant to move - because the top came out, was able to clear the bottom bearing, and lift the swivel housing out, where I could knock the bearing out with the proverbial brass drift. couldn't do it in situ because of the 'cap' in the top bearing cup. Which I now need to learn to remove :-)