PDA

View Full Version : Suitable extension mirrors for GQ

monty
5th June 2014, 10:48 PM
Hi,
I have been using a pair of mirrors when towing which attach to the mirrors of the GQ. Problem is, as most people find, very strong wind or sometimes big semi will blow whole unit back towards door side.
So, what do you find useful?
There seems to be lots of styles, brands and prices. Aussie Truck mirrors and ORA Big Red or their ENZO styles seem like they might do the job. Was thinking might just get one for driver's side and keep the cheap clip-on for the passenger side.
Anyone use any of these I mentioned? Good or bad? Specifically asking GQ owners where the casing of the mirror is moved to adjust, unlike more modern styles where the casing is fixed and the internal glass surface is moved.
Cheers all, monty

MudRunnerTD
5th June 2014, 10:59 PM
For your consideration also I would recommend a rear view Camera for your Caravan or towed load. Works fantastic and very very simple to install. You can set them up for permanent On and run via a small 3.5" or 5" screen. You can also get a wireless camera these days that make it even easier.

Getting a kit with switchable 2 cameras allowing you to fit one the the back of the GQ and the second for the load and your on a winner for sure.

threedogs
6th June 2014, 08:26 AM
I think ARB have side mirrors replacements for towing very solid looking units, maybe someone could put a link up for you,
X 2 on the reverse camera

BillsGU
6th June 2014, 10:09 AM
Over the years I have used a number of different mirrors - some have been OK but most have been a pain for one reason or another. About two years ago I installed a pair of ClearView mirrors and they are great. Expensive - but in this case you really get what you pay for. Not sure if they are available for a GQ - call them and ask. I also have a permanently on rear view camera on the off road caravan. This (combined with the mirrors) gives me an excellent view of traffic behind me. Some idiots sit so close behind that I have no hope of seeing them in the mirrors but I can easily see them on the monitor built into the replacement internal rear view mirror.

Try this link

http://www.clearviewmirrors.com.au/

monty
6th June 2014, 10:11 PM
Hi, agree about the cameras. I have bought a two camera setup, one to mount on back of car, the other the van. So here's another question: I've installed monitor and power OK and run the camera cables under trim etc to rear of cargo area. Now where do I go? What is the pathway out to the rear of car so I can mount the camera and the socket for the connection to van?

As for clearview, I agree they look good but I don't think they have GQ model available. If they did I'd consider them, even though they are a bit pricey.
thanks,

MudRunnerTD
6th June 2014, 11:40 PM
I would fit a plug next to the trailer plug at the tow bar. I have my reverse cam mounted onto the small door but have seen guys mount to the centre of the spare wheel which works too.

Robo
7th June 2014, 11:36 AM
Clearview make,import a great mirror for towing but also agree don't think available for GQ.

if you are a any kind of off roader then clearview are not the answer, they make your vehicle min width about 2 feet wider.
also car parks and a garage clearance become a pain. m2cw.
as for the camera, either pull leads thought the door skin grommet or the floor pan, its a matter of where you want camera.
rear camera for backing onto a trailer placement central as possible.
trying to compensate for camera off set whilst backing is a pain.
flat a possible and so you can just see ball.

my outlaw has clearview on his tr##py,
might ask if he has oem mirror and take pic of one another for all to see how much wider they are.

My broinlaw gave have a standard set of clip on extensions, with added brace that has a rubber covered magnet on it.
rubber magnet came from those amber flashing work lights that plug into a cig lighter
sticks down to the door panel seems to work ok.
It looks a bit crappy (up close) but works well.
I'll take a pic of that if you like on GQ, and they also fit GU.
GU has better mirror base so may not actually need brace.
cheers