PDA

View Full Version : DIY advice

patroltrav
12th February 2011, 08:10 PM
G'day guys,

I am new to diesels and just chasing some advice on some DIY mods that i can to my 08 crd that will maybe improve longevity and performance? Any help would be great

Cheers Trav

YNOT
12th February 2011, 08:45 PM
To increase performance I would be fitting a bigger exhaust (2 3/4" or 3") and a performance engine chip.

For reliabillity you need to stay on top of routine servicing using good quality lubricants and filters. For peace of mind I recommend fitting boost and exhaust gas temperature gauges to all turbo diesels, those 2 gauges can tell you a lot about what your engine is doing.
You could also fit a crank case ventilation filter to stop oil mist going through your inlet system and fouling the mass airflow sensor.

Tony

Finly Owner
12th February 2011, 11:15 PM
Trust Tony, have a look here he is our tech advisor, and desn't have shares in any 4wd accessory shops as far as I know. LOL

Tim

the evil twin
12th February 2011, 11:27 PM
Pretty much what YNOT said. Yours is still under warranty I assume so be careful with some Mods which Mr Nissan takes a dim view of...

Performance - Chip and Exhaust

Reliability/Longevity - EGT gauge, Scangauge are 'Must haves' IMHO, then a catch can or keep an eye on the MAF sensor is a good idea. Stick with genuine filters etc unless you know what you are doing and watch out for contaminated/dodgy fuel.

patroltrav
13th February 2011, 07:38 PM
Yeah still got about a years warranty to go so maybe i will wait until then to do a chip? probly do an exhaust and some guages. What is the scangauge by the way?

szaf
13th February 2011, 08:54 PM
Would changing the exhaust and adding gauges put warranty in jeapody? I understand that the exhaust and gauges wouldn't be covered by Nissan warranty

the evil twin
13th February 2011, 09:00 PM
What is the scangauge by the way?

The BEST $200 you'll spend on your CRD www.scangauge.com.au/

They plug straight into the OBD port under the sterring wheel and sit quite nicely on top of the column in front of the Odometer the only other gauge you have to buy is an E.G.T.

the evil twin
13th February 2011, 09:06 PM
Would changing the exhaust and adding gauges put warranty in jeapody? I understand that the exhaust and gauges wouldn't be covered by Nissan warranty

The prev owner of mine had a hassle when the Turbo Flange Studs broke. Nissan blamed the aftermarket exhaust. I subsequently cracked the exhaust at the flange and the dump pipe didn't line up to my satisfaction so I got it bent slightly and a further support added at the Gearbox so Nissan were probably right I spose.

Apart from something like that you shouldn't have any hassle I'd imagine. The best way would be to ask your Nissan Dealer and then get the exhaust done and then get them to retune the VNT adjustments etc to suit. That way it's all in writing I spose.

YNOT
13th February 2011, 09:42 PM
Being a CRD engine it shouldn't need any VNT adjustments with the new exhaust. (I'm not saying it won't, just that it shouldn't!)

Tony

the evil twin
13th February 2011, 09:55 PM
Being a CRD engine it shouldn't need any VNT adjustments with the new exhaust. (I'm not saying it won't, just that it shouldn't!)

Tony

Hiya Mr T... Hmmm Mr T, if that sticks don't blame me...

Yeah I agree, I didn't explain it well at all did I...

In another way what I meant is get Nissan to do a tune and diagnostics after the exhaust mods. That then means you have something in writing that the engine is within specs and if something goes wrong you can say "But, Hey, you did the inspection and tuning and it's within specs".

Dunno if it would be worth it but about the only idea I can think of if anyone is nervous about warranty and Nissan baling out from say an Intercooler failure by using the Exhaust mods changing boost presures as an excuse.

szaf
13th February 2011, 09:56 PM
Scangauge sounds like the way to go Thanks

the evil twin
13th February 2011, 10:01 PM
Scangauge sounds like the way to go Thanks

Pleasure...

I have mine set to display
"MAP" (Absolute Boost Pressure)
"LPH" (Fuel economy )
"COOLANT TEMP" (actual water temp as reported to the ECU - VERY handy)
and the 4th one I alternate between SPEED, VOLTS or usually ENGINE LOAD.

Hardly ever look at the Instrument Cluster anymore.

patroltrav
20th February 2011, 05:34 PM
My scangauge is on the way. Next on the list is an egt gauge.
Can't wait then I can see where I am at with my fuel economy,egt and boost and start doing the normal mods from there.

szaf
20th February 2011, 07:00 PM
Hi Ordered my scangauge ( I used my laptop and connector for my commodore ) can't wait to use it. Ordered 2 gauge pillar pod - hunting down a EGT and boost gauge - Digital gauge is latest high tech but I think the analogue looks better - any opinions? Paul

YNOT
20th February 2011, 07:14 PM
I've had worse nick names ET!

You could try it with Nissan but I don't think it would work. From what I've heard when it comes to getting out of paying warranty claims Nissan are more slippery than a politicians promise.

Tony

the evil twin
20th February 2011, 09:38 PM
Hi Ordered my scangauge ( I used my laptop and connector for my commodore ) can't wait to use it. Ordered 2 gauge pillar pod - hunting down a EGT and boost gauge - Digital gauge is latest high tech but I think the analogue looks better - any opinions? Paul

I've always got an opinion on everything Cobber...

If by digital you mean one of the many digit readout displays then as a once upon a time in the past Instrumentation Engineer I prefer Analog for one very simple reason...

On an analog display the needle being out of its normal place will catch your eye much earlier than a digital readout. If by digital you mean a digital representation of an analog sweep then again I lean towards old school analog but there are some sexy electronic instruments around. Just don't get one of them el cheapo looking "block" displays... speeeeeyuuuuu

Finly Owner
20th February 2011, 09:40 PM
I've had worse nick names ET!

You could try it with Nissan but I don't think it would work. From what I've heard when it comes to getting out of paying warranty claims Nissan are more slippery than a politicians promise.

Tony
s'pose this is old:
How about hashing some ideas with ya Hashem?

And yes it's deliberate mistake

szaf
22nd February 2011, 10:30 PM
Going for analogue