PDA

View Full Version : Carrying portable solar panels in car?

AB
2nd June 2014, 07:28 PM
I recently lashed out and bought a suitcase style solar panel kit.

I'm starting to do a lot of family trips where I want the car stationary for longer periods rather than driving for the sake of charging.

Paranoid me sets in as always about carrying it around in the back of the car and would like to know how others stow it in their vehicles?

Is it ok to simply pack it nicely or do others create added support?

It just comes with the standard carry bag that offers nothing much else.

I have a lot of Eva at work should I wrap the bag in our 20mm thick Eva foam to soften the hard hits on tracks and corrugations or am I being the usual paranoid user?

How do you carry yours around?

the evil twin
2nd June 2014, 07:33 PM
Seeing as how they'll survive a hail storm or cricket balls form next doors kids I don't think they need much extra protection at all old mate.

Mine get folded over (twin 50's) with the panels facing outwards and I just shove them anywhere they fit snug.

oncedisturbed
2nd June 2014, 07:34 PM
I pack mine against the cargo barrier and then pack around it to reduce movement

Cuppa
2nd June 2014, 07:39 PM
I’ve taken care to store mine in the pod so that they are protected from hard hits. Panels are pretty hardy but if you have the foam to protect it I reckon it would be worthwhile. Whilst the cost of a replacement isn’t going to mean going hungry, it would be a real pain to have to cut a stay short because you had run out of power. If it were me I’d probably chuck the bag & just use the foam.

AB
2nd June 2014, 08:12 PM
Thanks blokes...

I also need to ask a somewhat ignorant first time solar panel user question!!!

I would like to use this at home to power some things on the shed and in the house when not camping and be somewhat one step further towards my 10 year plan of self sufficiency.

Stupid question without using google to find the answer...

Will using this panel exposed to the elements 24/7 reduce its life expectancy/efficiency etc as opposed to storing it or does this not matter either way?

the evil twin
2nd June 2014, 08:14 PM
In the greater scheme of things it will hardly matter mate

AB
2nd June 2014, 08:18 PM

Can you tell I have a severe case of obsessive compulsive paranoia???

outback
2nd June 2014, 08:18 PM

As he said, unless it is within piddle range of a cat or dog..

Sir Roofy
2nd June 2014, 08:58 PM
I just use the carry bag they came with usually carry them behind the drivers seat
had them over six years and never let me down yet fold up 80watt
you can charge your batterys at home and have it connected to your car fridge in the bunglow
if thats your plan

BillsGU
2nd June 2014, 09:58 PM
Don't worry about it! Most portable panels get stolen well before they wear out ....................... :harhar:

the evil twin
2nd June 2014, 10:38 PM
Don't worry about it! Most portable panels get stolen well before they wear out ....................... :harhar:

Bwaaahahahaha...

allow me to preempt AB's next post

"So guys, how do all you blokes stop your panels getting knocked off?
Guard Dog?
Chain and Padlock?
GPS tracker?

AB
3rd June 2014, 06:22 AM

I feel better now...thanks...lol

04OFF
3rd June 2014, 08:38 AM
I thought about the same issues before i bought a solar panel AB, those big alloy frame panels seemed huge, and quite a PITA to store, so i got one of these in the 120W model.......

http://www.projecta.com.au/Products/TravelFriendlySolarPanelKits

Made a slot/mount for beside the fridge, i can get get the panel out when the back of the car is loaded, and it simply plugs into a port in the cars rear power panel.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/solarpanel1.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/solarpanel2.jpg

It works really well :biggrin:

Sir Roofy
3rd June 2014, 11:22 AM
bwaaahahahaha...

Allow me to preempt ab's next post

"so guys, how do all you blokes stop your panels getting knocked off?
Guard dog?
Chain and padlock?
Gps tracker?

pita but pack up and put in the car depending who your camping with

Cuppa
3rd June 2014, 01:38 PM
Bwaaahahahaha...

allow me to preempt AB's next post

"So guys, how do all you blokes stop your panels getting knocked off?
Guard Dog?
Chain and Padlock?
GPS tracker?

Paid security guard
Shotgun attached to trigger line
Portable razor wire compound.

Seriously
Most that are so inclined use a cable lock passed through a hole drilled in the panel’s frame.
Some just include the panel in their insurance.
Some accept that a panel doesn’t cost an arm & a leg these days & don’t worry about it.

It’s a bit like all the motorhomes you see getting around with security mesh on the windows & door. The owners don’t appear to have realised that windscreens break just as easily. It’s probably a good thing that many travellers worry about security so much, it helps to keep the free camps less crowded. Mind you the only place I’ve ever had anything stolen (one occasion) was in a caravan park.

Best solution IMHO if feasible is to bolt the panel to a frame on the roof - rivnuts makes fitting & removing nice & quick.

paulyg
3rd June 2014, 05:13 PM
I have a tri fold panel and I lined the bag it came in with foam,
Then it goes on the roof rack, only spare room I had, I just make Shure it is strapped down firmly so cant move and so far no problems.

AB
3rd June 2014, 06:55 PM
Thank you for increasing my paranoia everyone...lol

paulyg
3rd June 2014, 07:32 PM
I used the same stuff to line my bag, works well,
where ever you put it as long as it cant move around it should be fine.

AB
3rd June 2014, 07:41 PM
I used the same stuff to line my bag, works well,
where ever you put it as long as it cant move around it should be fine.

I recently made a frame to protect the fridge and oven, it fits perfectly snug on the side of that, might throw a strap around to be sure but that is surely overkill...lol