PDA

View Full Version : Transfer chain Issues

Punderhead
2nd June 2014, 07:23 PM
Hi all
posting this for a mate

He recently bought a Gu 4.2 diesel ute, and upon 4bying we discovered a noise, and after delving we realized that the transfer chain is streched.
We have tried to get the worranty happening, but they wont do it until the chain is broken.
Looking into the job ourselves, we can do it cheaper replacing the whole transfer for cheaper than just replacing the chain.
If we drive the thing until the chain breaks, will it do any damage to anything else i.e. the gearbox?
If the chain snaps he can claim warranty on it is all.

Thanks

Luke

nipagu7
2nd June 2014, 08:29 PM
might be a good time to look at reduction gears instead of just replacing the chain , might be a bit exy , but depending on the type of 4 wheelin you do it could be worth it

nissannewby
2nd June 2014, 08:41 PM
Although it us stretched they can still be quite strong. It could mash gears in the transfer case before the chain actually fails. I would pushing a bit harder on the warranty that excuse is rubbish from the dealer.

Punderhead
4th June 2014, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Not going down the path of reduction gears just Yet unfortunately. He will probably only be setting it up with a 3" lift and 33" wheels. Going to be more of a tourer (we'll that's what he's planning but I can be very persuasive)

And Nissan newby it took enough just to get the dealer to admit that the transfer was covered under "drivetrain" and the paperwork states gearbox, diffs clutch and driveshafts as the drivetrain. We only got him to admit it when we found the "or anything that requires oil for operation" clause.

Also, a quick question.
I'm am not 100% that it is the transfer chain that is the issue! as it only makes the noise in 4wd. Greg said that's what the gearbox shop told him, but I wovule have thought that a stretched chain would stil make noise in 2wd?

Much appreciated

Cheers

Robo
5th June 2014, 02:12 AM
I take it it's a 2nd hand car.
some warranty's only cover so much $$ per item/per claim etc.

chains only engaged when in 4x4.

Have you seen these chains multi row links ( look like a dog collar) super strong.

I had a single row cam chain let go once and it made a hell of a mess, breaking bit off left right center.
If that transfer chain lets go ,kiss case good by I'd say.

Punderhead
5th June 2014, 07:10 PM
Thanks robo

We are going to replace the whole case anyway, so if it blows that's not an issue.
It should do any damage to the gearbox though should it?

Cheers.

nissannewby
5th June 2014, 07:17 PM
The hubs could also be suspect mate. Try swapping them with yours or a pair that you know works at the very least it will rule it out.

Robo
6th June 2014, 08:41 PM
Thanks robo

We are going to replace the whole case anyway, so if it blows that's not an issue.
It should do any damage to the gearbox though should it?

Cheers.

what it "grabs hold of" and the added strain that accrues with vehicle momentum.
the gearbox and trans are separate items, but directly shaft connected.
if it were me,just don't engage 4wd unless you absolutely have to.
remember if it lets go you could well lose control of your 4by.
just get it fixed/swapped out soon as ya can.

out of curiosity how is it you know the chain is stretched?

Robo
6th June 2014, 08:43 PM
The hubs could also be suspect mate. Try swapping them with yours or a pair that you know works at the very least it will rule it out.

I agree sometimes things may not be what they seem.