PDA

View Full Version : 1998 GU Heater/aircon

thin on top
11th February 2011, 11:06 PM
Hi guys and girls, my aircon does not work as well as I would like. Yes maybe the gas could need checking, but on a trip, after 2 or so hours of driving there is almost no blow coing from the ducts, even with the fan on high.
Any suggestions???????????:1087:

Bigrig
11th February 2011, 11:11 PM
Seems odd that it fades out - my first thought was split ducting, but that would be immediate ... Hmmm ...

Tony!!!!!!!!!

YNOT
12th February 2011, 07:09 AM
How much airflow out of the vents do you have when you start driving and how cold is the air? When your A/C gets to the point of not pushing any air out of the vents can you still hear the blower fan working hard? If the fan is still working hard is the air coming out of any of the other vents?

The most likely cause of what you are describing is the A/C evaporator freezing up and becoming a solid block of ice that no air can pass through. The most common cause of freezing of the evaporator is a faulty or out of adjustment A/C thermostat. Next time the fault occurs pull over (where safe obviously) and open the bonnet. Have a look at the A/C pipes where they go through the fire wall (the photo shows which pipes I'm refering to), are they iced up?

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/tonyh01/GUAC.jpg

Tony

Bigrig
12th February 2011, 07:37 AM
How much airflow out of the vents do you have when you start driving and how cold is the air? When your A/C gets to the point of not pushing any air out of the vents can you still hear the blower fan working hard? If the fan is still working hard is the coming out of any of the other vents?

The most likely cause of what you are describing is the A/C evaporator freezing up and becoming a solid block of ice that no air can pass through. The most common cause of freezing of the evaporator is a faulty or out of adjustment A/C thermostat. Next time the fault occurs pull over (where safe obviously) and open the bonnet. Have a look at the A/C pipes where they go through the fire wall (the photo shows which pipes I'm refering to), are they iced up?

Tony

That was going to be my next suggestion .. well done though Tony, you're really getting the hang of this ... LOL!!!

YNOT
12th February 2011, 07:47 AM
Cheers Scott, I knew if I hung around you long enough your mechanical genius would rub off on me!

Tony

Bigrig
12th February 2011, 07:52 AM
Cheers Scott, I knew if I hung around you long enough your mechanical genius would rub off on me!

Tony

It's what I do for people mate ... it's what I do!! LMFAO!!!!

By the way thin on top, Tony is the mechanical genius and I'm just ... well ... let's say "an idiot"!!!! LOL!! Just in case that was unclear!!!

thin on top
12th February 2011, 12:38 PM
How much airflow out of the vents do you have when you start driving and how cold is the air? When your A/C gets to the point of not pushing any air out of the vents can you still hear the blower fan working hard? If the fan is still working hard is the air coming out of any of the other vents?

Tony

thanks Tony

Will check that on next drive. I have noticed that there is always plenty of drips coming off the left hand chassis when I stop, i just have never bothered looking where they start from.

Chers

Phil

thin on top
20th March 2011, 09:46 PM
Tony, you were right on the money again, after 2 hours driving yesterday I poped the hood and checked the aircon pipes, they had more ice around them than there beer taps at the local pub. Will check out some of my customers at work this week, one of them will be able to sort this out for me.

Thanks again

Phil

YNOT
20th March 2011, 10:31 PM
Glad I could help you mate, keep us updated when you get it fixed.

Tony