PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! New springs BIG difference!!

matty_3977
26th May 2014, 09:14 AM
Guys hopefully someone can help me or someone has had the same experience can can quell my fears.

Recently I bought a cheap set of ultima 4X4 springs and shocks off eBay, I went to put them in on the weekend and found a little problem.

Originally my car sat level (34 inches from the centre of the tyre to the top of the guard) after some dropped spanners and some swearing i got the lift kit in and afterwards the measurement were as follows.

FR: 37"
FL: 36"
RL: 34"
RR: 35.5"

My poor old girl had a Heavy list to the left it half looked like i was driving in rut full time, I have since put my old springs back in but i just need to know should i be chasing the seller for a refund or some sort of remuneration, or should I suck it up and drive on the springs for a couple of hundred k's and see if it settles a bit.

I did drive it round the block swerving up and down a street for about ten minutes to see if the spring would wriggle into place if they were slightly out of sink but that didn't work.

Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated.

04OFF
26th May 2014, 09:46 AM
So are you saying before the lift all four height measurements in each corner were exactly 34 inches ?

Did you check your new springs for little paper tags (or other) indicating left and right side springs ?

Did you make sure all springs are roatated to seat back to the origional position on the rubber spring seats ?

Check for anything binding on one side (swaybars, link pins, suspension arms etc), perhaps got affected when strectched/lowerd to fit springs.

matty_3977
26th May 2014, 10:36 AM
after telling my mechanic i was going to lift my car he did tell me i will need castor correction bushes could this be causing this issue.

yes all the springs were seated in the original position, no there were not any tags or any indication of left or right i put the longer side in the right side due to constant load of driver, spare, battery etc.

BigRAWesty
26th May 2014, 01:49 PM
Yes you may need castor correction but it shouldn't be affecting the lift..

Sounds to me you have them ass about.
At the end of the springs should be engraved a code, and should have FL, Fr, RR and RF in there somewhere..

mudski
26th May 2014, 07:18 PM
What lift height is it advertised to be? You can expect sone difference but not like that IMO.
Send them back and get sone Dobinsons or a known brand I think.

Robo
21st July 2014, 12:42 PM
If they are different lengths and no instructions or part numbers ( tags) on them are provided,
Why not simply ask the seller for instructions. (don't mention the ill fit).
Once you have a reply you can chew over what you already know from fitting them and go from there.
How much longer was longer?