PDA

View Full Version : GQ 1998 2.8 litre.

Woods
29th June 2010, 10:44 AM
Hey guys, as much as I would love to, I can't afford a GU.

I'm looking at a 1996-98 GQ 2.8 litre.

Kind of like something like this.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/06/1.jpg?width=265

I'm concerned about getting something with that many k's on it but the situation I'm in, I guess I have no option.

Just a quick question.

What would be ideal km's and price I should be aiming for in this series?

Any other suggestions are most welcome.

Appreciate your feed back guys.

patch697
29th June 2010, 02:18 PM
For some reason GQ's are a bit sort after at the moment & I have stedderly watched there price increase over the last 3 months & as much as I think there will still be a bargain to be found this may not be the right time to be looking.....

Go for a search on the net then compare the asking price against the glass guide or red book ( taking into consideration any extras of course) & you will see what I mean.

Cheers
Paul

gibbonz
14th August 2010, 05:59 PM
You may already know, the model changed in late 1997. GQ to GU, mine is one of the last GQ's a pain to get the correct parts , replacement hoses, belts, you really have to look at the screen when the parts chaps are looking. The RD2.8 engine gets a bad name, but has been around for many years in Nissan Laurel, Skyline cars, way back in the 80's (Diesel but non Turbo) The head has caused some grief in the GQ and GU, with overheating issues.

The transmission is lighter than the 4.2 but depending on your requirements!!!! Towing etc, I love mine at 225,000km. New Radiator (4.2) and Snorkel for cooling made a big difference.
Cheers

tracemul7
14th August 2010, 11:14 PM
We just got a 1997 GQ 2.8TD ST. It has 388k KM on the clock - which isnt exactly low mileage. However it drives really well, and has been regularly serviced, and new clutch.
We're about to give it a major service (belts, pulleys, hoses etc) and even including the service, we saved about $3000 from alot of places we looked.
I have spoken to a number of people who said if they are looked after, we'll get plenty more life from her :)
We drove a few patrols with around 200k kms on the clock, and still some of them didnt drive very well - including one with a re-con'd engine in 5000km before.

So my advice would be get something with service history and receipts etc if its high mileage. But then i dont know much lol. Only been on this forum a few days :P

Everyone seems to have different opinions on the RX Vs the ST. The ST has electric windows and things like that - which are useful, but then bad if they break. Swings and roundabouts i guess.

promechauto
5th August 2011, 09:38 AM
Does anyone have any idea of an engine rebuild on a GQ like this one?

nissan-nut
13th August 2011, 05:53 AM
hello let me introduce myself , I am a Certified Tradsman Mechanic,CT LPG, CT Air conditioning. I have worked in 4x4 wrecking yard for 10yrs building engines,diffs an G/boxes.
In answer to your question a full rebuild kit is avaiable for around $900.00. head service around $500.00 this would apply if engine dosnt need Boring! around so for $1500.00 DIY if this is any help.

MQ MAD
13th August 2011, 08:01 AM
The 2.8 diesels and the 3.0 L in the GQs are the lower end of the price spectrum
Yes the GQs are in high demand and the 4.2s will sell for 10K or beyond

With the economy as shaky as it is , people will be tending to perhaps down grade or unload excess surplus
What the asking price is and what the seller gets are 2 different things
Id figure out my budget and start looking

A good GQ as most of us know ,
IF priced well or cheap , and are good are snapped up very quickly
But finding that good example wether cheap or dear can take months
I looked at dozens of GQs before i bought mine

Arm yourself with CASH and of you go