PDA

View Full Version : Update eBay Passwords

daanish
22nd May 2014, 11:47 AM
Hi All,
Just so you're aware hackers have accessed the eBay database and it is advised that you update your passwords and immediately.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-22/hackers-steal-e-bay-personal-details/5469330

MEGOMONSTER
22nd May 2014, 12:59 PM
Thanks for letting us know.
Although it's a bit disheartening knowing they accessed eBay a few months ago but only realised 2weeks ago.

TimE
22nd May 2014, 01:08 PM
.............. and Paypal passwords as well...

Cuppa
22nd May 2014, 01:32 PM
.............. and Paypal passwords as well...

Where did you find that info?
The stuff from Ebay says Paypal wasn’t affected, & I have had nothing from Paypal about needing to change password?

Bloodyaussie
22nd May 2014, 01:34 PM
They do ask you to change it even though they have no breeches of there security while they investigate.

TimE
22nd May 2014, 01:55 PM
Where did you find that info?
The stuff from Ebay says Paypal wasn’t affected, & I have had nothing from Paypal about needing to change password?

A bit on the ABC lunch time news, some dude who reckons he knows it all suggested that as Paypal and eBay are so intimately entwined then as a precaution change both passwords.

Winnie
22nd May 2014, 02:41 PM
A bit on the ABC lunch time news, some dude who reckons he knows it all suggested that as Paypal and eBay are so intimately entwined then as a precaution change both passwords.

There is probably no need but it can't hurt!

Cuppa
22nd May 2014, 04:27 PM
Thanks TimE & BA.
As far as Paypal goes the worst that could happen to me is that a hacker could find out what I’ve spent. I always maintain a zero balance in Paypal & have it linked to a debit card on which I only keep a balance of a couple of bucks, adding funds as I spend.

Bloodyaussie
22nd May 2014, 07:02 PM
Turns out the hack happened back in February. ..... how do they keep that quiet

Winnie
22nd May 2014, 07:03 PM

Did you read the article?

AB
22nd May 2014, 07:06 PM

Because they have a severely well thought out and complex system that is impenetrable and someone found a way in which destroys trust from their millions of users.

Lets look at it this way...

If someone hacked into your bottom would you tell anyone?

Winnie
22nd May 2014, 07:08 PM
Because they have a severely well thought out and complex system that is impenetrable and someone found a way in which destroys trust from their millions of users.

Lets look at it this way...

If someone hacked into your bottom would you tell anyone?

I'd never tell anybody about the time Jonathan once crawled into my tent. Never ever!

Bloodyaussie
22nd May 2014, 07:09 PM
Yeah just looked into more and it seems there was also a big hack back in February that has only just been heard about plus another attack now...

Still think its funny how they kept the feb hack quiet.

Changed my ebay today but will now go change my PayPal also....

NissanGQ4.2
22nd May 2014, 07:26 PM
I don't remember what me ebay password is...wish the hacker could email it to me.

NP99
24th May 2014, 10:12 PM
They should be changed on a regular basis as part of your security routine. The worst passwords are used by ADF pers. that pmkeys no :)