PDA

View Full Version : New to gu

Barraging
21st May 2014, 12:43 PM
Hey guys

I'm new to the forum and new to nissans,

I'm thinking of doing a small build thread since my new ride is fairly stock and I have so much planned but first I got a few questions about things that have probably been answered but can't seem to find the answers I'm looking for,
Any way I bought a 04 gu st ute a couple weeks ago and got stuck into it straight away, first up was 3" straight through exhaust....love it...
Next was inter cooler core replaced by pwr and tuned with a bit more boost, I also added pyro and boost guages to keep an eye on it,
Being late 04 it had the EGR crap so I got that banked of also,
Next thing to do this week is lift, I will be going a three inch so will need extensions for brakes and other stuff,
My plan with the ute is to set it up slowly as a capable tourer and continue exploring this awesome country, it came with a fibre glass canopy to start me off, it's ugly but will do until I build as nicer one,
It also has dual batteries and a winch so I got a little head start...
First question
With a 3" lift, I need springs, shocks, draglink and caster bushes for the basic set up it can add to later, has anybody got any recommendations to other stuff I should do? Also what would be the next step for upgrading,
Second question
I've heard of people putting a oil catch can on 3l patrols, would it be wise to put one on a 4.2 or are they fine?
Third question
When I took it for a light fourby the first time I noticed a noise coming from the rear diff on full lock, kinda sounded almost like a auto locker trying to engage but without the clicking, (had one in my hilux) could this just be the LSD could do with a shim up?
Last question
Anybody got anymore little tips or trick that is done to gu's.
Anyway thanks for reading if you could be bothered haha ill out a few pics up of progress

Barraging
21st May 2014, 12:52 PM
A few shots of when I got it and a few mods

Barraging
23rd May 2014, 04:45 PM
Testing the stock flex.....

DX grunt
23rd May 2014, 05:09 PM
G'day Bro and welcome to the forum. Glad you could join us.

Of course I'm 'bothered' to read your thread - you own a 4.2 ute!! lol.

Where you from?

Take care out there.

Rossco

AB
23rd May 2014, 05:15 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations.

Avo
23rd May 2014, 05:21 PM
Nice ute mate,welcome .

dads tractor
13th July 2014, 10:28 AM
Welcome to the forum mate and I have a near identical patrol in the same town Mackay so keep your eyes open and feel free to pull me over for a chat live in nth mackay .

Hardyards
13th July 2014, 11:49 AM
Hey Barraging, Welcome to the Forum.
I also will read threads from the 4.2 Ute, that's where I get my info from :o
With regards to your questions, I'm not a lot of help but
1. That's all I did to lift my Ute, seems to work. Upgrading, the sky (and your bank balance) is the limit. Just when I thought I've got it covered, I read the sound proofing thread and now have another future project.....
2. I don't think the 4.2 needs the catch can - over to you knowledgeable ones.
3. Ummmmm
4. Fridge drop slides, draws, water storage, electrics, on board hot water system, Solar and it goes on

Cheers, told you I wouldn't be a lot of help :tongue:

MEGOMONSTER
13th July 2014, 01:20 PM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it. If you want to find it, go to the search bar for a universe of information. Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

dads tractor
13th July 2014, 01:24 PM
Barraging here is my lads and mine xmas shopping complete with their new sway bars to suit
2" Profender lift kit Superflex Radius Arms
Product #16026 $3,155.00

2" Profender lift kit Superflex Radius Arms
Click to enlarge

Superior Engineering has put together a kit to lift your Nissan 2 inch.

The kit includes
1x pr Superflex Arms (2x M16/100mm bolts 1x M14/100mm Bolt 1x Crush tube 2x Superflex plates 2x M16X90mm bolts 2x M16 Fine thread Nylocks)
2 x Front coil springs
2 x Rear coil Springs
2 x Front Profender 4x4 Remote Reservior Adjustable Shocks
2 x Rear Profender 4x4 Remote Reservior Adjustable Shocks
1 x Profender 4x4 Steering damper
1 x Extended brake proportioning valve bracket
2 x Extended brake lines
1 x pr Coil Retainers

threedogs
13th July 2014, 05:03 PM
hello and welcome to the forum,

MEGOMONSTER
14th July 2014, 04:37 AM
Barraging here is my lads and mine xmas shopping complete with their new sway bars to suit 2" Profender lift kit Superflex Radius Arms Product #16026 $3,155.00 2" Profender lift kit Superflex Radius Arms Click to enlarge Superior Engineering has put together a kit to lift your Nissan 2 inch. The kit includes 1x pr Superflex Arms (2x M16/100mm bolts 1x M14/100mm Bolt 1x Crush tube 2x Superflex plates 2x M16X90mm bolts 2x M16 Fine thread Nylocks) 2 x Front coil springs 2 x Rear coil Springs 2 x Front Profender 4x4 Remote Reservior Adjustable Shocks 2 x Rear Profender 4x4 Remote Reservior Adjustable Shocks 1 x Profender 4x4 Steering damper 1 x Extended brake proportioning valve bracket 2 x Extended brake lines 1 x pr Coil Retainers

I'm sure you'll enjoy that

dads tractor
14th July 2014, 08:56 AM
I'm sure you'll enjoy thatat about $4.3k its taken a lot of thinking and justification I can tell you Mego. Still toying with the idea of 2 sets of springs for the rear one HD and a lighter one got to talk to Superiors Engineer for his thoughts .

MEGOMONSTER
14th July 2014, 12:52 PM
at about $4.3k its taken a lot of thinking and justification I can tell you Mego. Still toying with the idea of 2 sets of springs for the rear one HD and a lighter one got to talk to Superiors Engineer for his thoughts .
Understandable, until you say f.... it and just keep the one set on. Lol

dads tractor
14th July 2014, 02:08 PM
Understandable, until you say f.... it and just keep the one set on. LolI'm hearing you just but the walletti's hearing you real good aye

my third 256
15th July 2014, 07:48 AM
Welcome to the forum mate

Barraging
17th July 2014, 06:48 PM
Thanks guys, haven't been home for a while so nil updates
I've done a few thing to the ute
3" lift the main one, (superior)
Tyres this week,
I'll throw some pics up when I'm home next
Also did a week trip up the daintree to see how it would go and had a blast, love this state

Barraging
17th July 2014, 06:50 PM
Welcome to the forum mate and I have a near identical patrol in the same town Mackay so keep your eyes open and feel free to pull me over for a chat live in nth mackay .

Haha nice I'm also in north mackay, although been away a lot of late, hopefully I'll run into ya one day

Barraging
29th July 2014, 12:56 PM
Few more things done,
Dynamic rims and 285 bighorns
Cleaned the interior up, dash pad, canvas seat covers
50" light bar
And a few more outlets in the canopy for the next camping trip.....can't wait
I'm like a little kid with a new toy