PDA

View Full Version : Inverter DIY guide wanted

bindi
18th May 2014, 05:09 PM
Hi all,

I am going to fit a pure sinewave inverter to my patrol GU8 so that I can charge my laptop etc when I'm away.

Does anyone have a DIY guide for this, along with recommendations on which ones to go for/avoid.??

cheers
Mark

BigRAWesty
18th May 2014, 05:57 PM
It's a pretty simple install.
You'll wanna run some decent wire with inline fuse to the inverter.
Mount it where ever, seen em under seats in cargo area, some of the early gu owners have put them in the top false glove box section..

04OFF
18th May 2014, 08:18 PM
If you only want it for a lap top or little things (phones, dvd etc), you can use a 180W or less version, these smaller units simply have a cigarette lighter plug adapter attached, so you can keep the whole thing in your glovebox, and just pull it out and plug in when you need it, the beauty of this is you can use the inverter in a different location or even in another car.

I use a Powertech Inverter (180W with cig plug) its been very good over the 3 years ive had it

the evil twin
18th May 2014, 10:37 PM
Hi all,

I am going to fit a pure sinewave inverter to my patrol GU8 so that I can charge my laptop etc when I'm away.

Does anyone have a DIY guide for this, along with recommendations on which ones to go for/avoid.??

cheers
Mark

You don't need a pure sine wave Inverter for that, well, unless you have a really obtuse Lappy. Indeed, you don't even need an Inverter at all but if you do want one a modified sine wave will be heaps cheaper.

You'll be better off with a DC/DC converter. Much more efficient and will still charge your lappy and any other "plug pack" gear you have.