PDA

View Full Version : In dash GPS....

clubbyr8
18th May 2014, 08:07 AM
Has anyone seen or played with one of these, and as a matter of interest, what are Sygic maps like????

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/XTRONS-Android-7-HD-Car-Stereo-GPS-DVD-Player-Tablet-Double-2-DIN-3G-WiFi-HDMI-/151067888689?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item232c590c31&_uhb=1

Drewboyaus
18th May 2014, 09:22 AM
I had Sygic maps on a previous Android device and they were ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Avo
18th May 2014, 10:13 AM
i was reading a thread the other day and someone brought up the fact that on some units you can only have either GPS or music,not both at the same time.Which can be a pita if traveling and want to listen to music as well as have a map.Only telling you this incase you did not know.not sure if this one does both,just putting it out there.
Cheers

TimE
18th May 2014, 10:48 AM
I think most of those GPS/music units on the market today will "soften" the music to make GPS announcements, then turn the music back up again. My old unit (just shat itself after two years) had separate volume setting for the GPS and all other outputs (radio, music, DVD and USB and SD card), would turn the music etc down, make the GPS announcement at a volume I had preset, then straight back to "normal programming".

Re Sygic, as mentioned it is OK, but has occasional flaws. The best street by street software I have used is IGO 8, (have used Sygic, Tom Tom and Navman and other free Android download software). A site worth a visit is fixmygps (http://www.fixmygps.info/forum).

I now rely on my 10" tablet for mapping software and my stereo unit for radio and music, separate old Nokia Bluetooth handsfree unit takes care of the phone.

the evil twin
18th May 2014, 11:44 AM
Has anyone seen or played with one of these, and as a matter of interest, what are Sygic maps like????

I have been using that exact unit for a few months now.
It had to go back to the factory for warranty once but they were pretty good to deal with if a bit slooooooowwwwwwwwwwww.
The tablet screen is terrible when docked as it reflects everything and isn't very bright in the first place
In the daytime it is like a mirror and all you can see is the passenger seat back (or the passengers boobies if you are that lucky)
Other than that it does everything it claims quite well

Mapping - there are two mapping data suppliers for OZ, Sensis and Navteq. The navigation dudes all buy the data from one or the other of these sources
Anecdotally, Sensis is better for City data and Navteq for remote but you will be hard pressed to tell the difference.
The maps for a particular vector mapping software such as Sygic/Route 66/Navman/Igo etc therefore mainly revolve around two other variables
The GUI that the software package uses to present the maps and how often IE how much money the software owner gives to update his mapping

i was reading a thread the other day and someone brought up the fact that on some units you can only have either GPS or music,not both at the same time.Which can be a pita if traveling and want to listen to music as well as have a map.Only telling you this incase you did not know.not sure if this one does both,just putting it out there.
Cheers

That was me... many of the cheaper Windows and Android based head units are not Dual Zone
IE if you are listening to the radio or SD card or whatever and switch to the Nav screen then the "music" stops.
Yes you will here a GPS instruction but if you are using the unit for offroad navigation/mapping that doesn't help

When buying one of those Head Units you need to check that it is a "dual zone" unit.
These will display the navigation but keep playing the Radio/CD/SD card music

GQ TANK
18th May 2014, 08:30 PM
I run sygic with my Samsung Tab2 - 7" (and play music), off road I run oziE.

Its ok