PDA

View Full Version : Swaybar disconnects

Lightspeed
17th May 2014, 07:01 PM
Hello, Those of you that have swaybar disconnects I have a couple of questions if you can help me. I have just bought a pair from superior engineering for my whiteline H duty front swaybar, when using them do you just disconnect one side or both ? Also do you need to tie anything up out of the way or not bother ?
I have the factory disconnect for the rear one which only disconnects the drivers side. Cheers for any help.

BigRAWesty
17th May 2014, 07:40 PM
Um I think one will make a big difference but 2 will be better.

From what I read the superior units you pull a pin and that's it, nothing to it..

Avo
17th May 2014, 09:05 PM
just do a quick search mate,should come up with some answers.i do remember reading a bit about this yonks ago.
good luck.

menace 2
17th May 2014, 09:18 PM
mine has the factory disconnect and only does one side...I would think that once one side is disconnected then it renders the other side useless due to it being one bar just through the retaining rubbers which it moves in anyway

Lightspeed
18th May 2014, 03:17 PM
OK Thanks Guys

mudski
19th May 2014, 12:05 AM
Only disconnect one side. If you do both then you need to tie up the sway bar so it won't drop down and hit anything.

BigRAWesty
19th May 2014, 12:30 AM
Double post

BigRAWesty
19th May 2014, 12:30 AM
Just had a look at them and yea pretty simple. Only fit one disconnect to each bar, but get suitable extended fixed joints for the other side..

Lightspeed
19th May 2014, 08:09 AM
Just had a look at them and yea pretty simple. Only fit one disconnect to each bar, but get suitable extended fixed joints for the other side..

Hi Kallen, I just saw your pictures of your factory disconnect rear flex, It shows the RH side hanging down & the LH side tucked up under the guard. When you flex it the opposite way does the LH rear hang down the same amount ? I'm trying to understand how disconnecting just one side can let both sides hang down equally. Cheers Grant.

BigRAWesty
19th May 2014, 08:26 AM
simply by disconnecting the bar on one side you are removing the resistance.
The bar will still twist as normal but without being connected the bar will freely move up while the axle freely moves down

Family4x4
19th May 2014, 08:38 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoSNAkteXjY

BigRAWesty
19th May 2014, 09:07 AM
Sorry, nightshirt brain. That video should explain things..

FNQGU
19th May 2014, 09:10 PM
Try this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZraKvR86UM

Lightspeed
22nd May 2014, 07:08 PM
THANKS for those vids guys, they answered my questions. I ended up taking my 2 front swaybar disconnects back to superior today & bought there super flex front sway bar kit which I've just fitted. I'm going to keep my 24mm H/Duty whiteline sway bar with factory disconnect on the rear as is.

FNQGU
22nd May 2014, 07:27 PM
Mate, I'd be interested in how that goes for you. I've been toying with the same thought but with only a 2" lift am not sure it would be worth it really. Got to replace all my sway bar bushes though, which is what started the thought in the first place. Might just do the bushes and be happy though.

BigRAWesty
22nd May 2014, 08:56 PM
Mate, I'd be interested in how that goes for you. I've been toying with the same thought but with only a 2" lift am not sure it would be worth it really. Got to replace all my sway bar bushes though, which is what started the thought in the first place. Might just do the bushes and be happy though.

You do notice a bit improvement with a release on the front sway bar..
Imo fitting a release to the front aswell will keep the cops happy and yourself off road

Lightspeed
23rd May 2014, 07:48 AM

I only have a 2" lift as well but like the idea of just pulling the leaver in the cab to release the rear bar & not have to bother with the front. I would say that it would probably be worth it for you as Nissan went to the trouble of bringing out the factory disconnect for the standard hight patrol. Also the superior disconnects cost about $200 so I thought for a extra $400 I get a bigger bar & mounts & H/Duty connections.

BigRAWesty
23rd May 2014, 09:20 AM
The factory one still works with a 2" lift.

Lightspeed
23rd May 2014, 04:07 PM
The factory one still works with a 2" lift.

I have extended my factory one to suit the 2" lift.

snakey1989
13th July 2014, 10:51 AM
Hey lightspeed, how did you go about extending yours?
I've extended the fronts (for offroad use only of course) and wondered how you tackled the rear factory disconnect side.
Got the bastard out of the disconnect unit (after buggering nearly every rotten seized in screw), thinking a piece of HD tubing over the exposed end?

Chubba
10th September 2015, 09:03 AM
Good info here. I'm thinking of new sway bar links front and rear with one disconnect in front and one in rear. This thread has convinced me. My thoughts were that you only needed to disconnect one side.

mudski
10th September 2015, 08:07 PM
I had a look on the superior website today thinkning I'll just get the disconnect pins to use on my extensions. For the coin they want, ill continue to use to shifters and spend a minute longer undoing them.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Clunk
10th September 2015, 11:43 PM
or just get longer sway bar links lol

mudski
11th September 2015, 12:23 PM
or just get longer sway bar links lol
Cant go any longer. Ive adjusted them and they are dead level now with the 3inch lift.