PDA

View Full Version : looking for opinion on my gq rust

wykenrico
17th May 2014, 05:39 PM
g'day
i am looking for some opinions about the rust on my gq's roof and gutter as the photos below. are they bad or not too bad? i've read threads about rust here and know that u can sand it rust kill then bog and paint it or u can do it the hard way by cutting out metal and welding new one in. my mate is a welder for big trucks but he never tried doing stuff like this at home if we decide the rust problem is not too bad we probably go the easy way.......446594466044661446624466444665

previous owner used her as a beach car and didnt wash it thoroughly afterwards.......i took off the roofrack and there r plenty of sand on the gutters :(

thanks for any thoughts and advise guys

chrisc2306
17th May 2014, 05:53 PM
Hi mate its tough to tell how bad it is until you start to grind it back a bit and see if it is right through or not. If you can get it to bare metal then you can just fill and paint it but if its rusted right through you will need to cut it out and weld a new piece in. I had this problem just recently and I cut out the section that was rusted out completely and ran the grinder upwards towards the roof section behind where the gutter sits and slid a new piece that I got made under the roof and welded it in it worked perfectly (hope that makes sense)

Parksy
17th May 2014, 07:37 PM
Id be ripping out the roof liner because it's the inside section that tells a better story. That way it's easier to repair and you know for sure that you've removed all the rust.

wykenrico
17th May 2014, 08:00 PM
thank you mate i have just grinded it and it looks like this 4467044671
the gutter is not too bad i think but the corner has two holes....
will rip out roof lining tmr hope its not too ugly

Aeon
17th May 2014, 09:04 PM
Bought my first GQ three days ago. The previous owner had it a paint job. Now the paint is swollen especially on both rear fenders. From the looks of it, its worse than yours mate. Sigh

threedogs
18th May 2014, 04:12 PM
Roof racks especially the older style though good as they were in their day.
Have caused problems like this later on, bummer kill the rust and go from there I reckon