PDA

View Full Version : Yet another DIY Drawer build

apalsson
17th May 2014, 06:12 AM
I used to have a good set of DIY drawers in my old GU, ones a mate helped me build and lasted me well.
Here they are:

I pondered for a while buying one of those commercial jobs for my new GU but couldn't find the $2.5k or so to buy them and set out to make my own based on a similar design.
This is what they came out as - apologies for the poor photo. I took it with my phone

My new Engel fridge is quite a lot taller than the old 30L Waeco in the old car, so I invested in some MSA dropslides and a fridge barrier.
Here's the outcome:

MEGOMONSTER
17th May 2014, 06:25 AM
They look like a bought set, good job.

apalsson
17th May 2014, 06:39 AM
Thanks mate. In fact, I have a bit more space in these drawers than most of the commercial ones give you. The drawers are slightly wider and deeper (470m inside width and 270mm deep)
I cut the depth to allow my ARB portable air compressor to fit in them

BigRAWesty
17th May 2014, 07:31 AM
Look good mate

Smoothrun
20th September 2014, 08:23 AM
they look good mate,Id love one of those fridge setups, worth a buck but ey they're worth it. Enjoy

Cheers

lucus30
20th September 2014, 12:04 PM
Nice looks great. How much it cost you roughly ?

apalsson
20th September 2014, 01:06 PM
Mate, I suspect they ended up around $400 - $450 with all the bits. I spent more on the plywood than I had to because I bought marine A grade plywood for the lot

mudski
20th September 2014, 08:53 PM
Awesome job there. Have you weighed it? I would like to make my own but using wood puts me off because of the weight. When I bought my Patrol it had drawers in it made from mdf. I couldn't even lift it. So that went...
Not ruling it out on building another in timber though...

lhurley
20th September 2014, 11:36 PM
Awesome job there. Have you weighed it? I would like to make my own but using wood puts me off because of the weight. When I bought my Patrol it had drawers in it made from mdf. I couldn't even lift it. So that went...

There was a video getting around here a while ago of a bloke who made some out of ally. He got these ally corner bits that fit inside a square pipe. I don't remember how much it weighed but it can't of been to much.

Even making them out of ply won't make them as heavy. Ply is lighter then MDF. I have made some out of 12mm, mainly cause I had a heap already, and they aren't that heavy. I can lift them in and out the car on my own, no draws of corse, I'm not the hulk. A good design will/can cut down on weight.

apalsson
21st September 2014, 04:52 AM

Thanks Mudski, This set weighs around 60-65Kg. I believe the Outback drawers weigh 85kg so I feel I'm better off.

lucus30
21st September 2014, 10:45 AM
Nice for $450 you've got great draws. Probably the fridge slide cost you more

apalsson
21st September 2014, 11:00 AM
Yeah mate, They don't come cheap. I struck a bit of luck there because a local 4WD shop needed some IT work done and I came to a bartering deal with them where I helped them out and they gave me the slide and the barrier.
The best part about these drawers (for my use) is they have dimensions for my gear. For example, my ARB air compressor case fits snug into one and the height was set accordingly. I pondered having "two levels" or a deep and a shallow drawer to get the fridge lower but then couldn't be bothered with the extra work. The drop slide also makes it a lot easier to get into the fridge.

Golioth
28th October 2014, 02:40 PM
that's awesome. they looks great. I am hoping to make a set of my own very soon. what did you line it with? I have been advised to line it with marine carpet to avoid any moisture being absorbed and warping the wood.