PDA

View Full Version : The Big Trip (I come to you), May to September, most states and territories

Flo-w
15th May 2014, 11:57 AM
G'day!

After too many years working and saving the Missus and I are finally going on the big trip we always wanted to do (since our last big trip in 2007/2008). We fell in love with the outback in 2007 and returned many times for shorter adventures. This time though we have 4 month to explore the interior of Australia with our trusty GQ. In broad terms we'll drive from Melbourne to Alice Springs via the Simpson Desert, then to Cape York, along the gulf, over into the Kimberly and down the Canning Stock Route and back via the Gunbarrel Hwy.

The reason for this thread is to share a bit of the trip. I plan to post some photos and stories. I hope to get tips and advice. And of course it would be great to meet YOU for a cuppa, a bear or maybe even some driving.
So if you're in the area I go to why not send me a message? It's a meet-up where I come to you. Too easy!

Cheers,
Flo-w

Flo-w
15th May 2014, 12:00 PM
Melbourne -> Broken Hill -> Flinders Ranges

We'll leave 17 May from Melbourne. First destination will be the beautiful Flinders Ranges. Any suggestions?

Stropp
15th May 2014, 12:48 PM
sounds like great trip mate, unfortunately im not anywhere near where you are heading. have a great trip and post lots of pics

BigRAWesty
15th May 2014, 12:49 PM
Sky track.. Costs a little but the track and views are stunning..

threedogs
15th May 2014, 01:01 PM
Look forward to some pics. we really live in the Lucky country, even if the Budget stinks LOL

TPC
15th May 2014, 01:48 PM
Rawnsley Park Station near Wilpena Pound is a great place to camp in the Flinders. http://www.rawnsleypark.com.au/
As Westy said, Skytrack is great.
Brachina Gorge is great to explore.

BigRAWesty
15th May 2014, 02:04 PM
Rawnsley Park Station near Wilpena Pound is a great place to camp in the Flinders. http://www.rawnsleypark.com.au/
As Westy said, Skytrack is great.
Brachina Gorge is great to explore.

I reckon rawnsley park is a must also.
You can day treck up the face to the top from there also. I'd say it's a mild hike.

FNQGU
15th May 2014, 02:50 PM
Since you drink Bear, you must be a Queenslander!

Cape York has a few not so well known places that in my book are worth a looksy, particularly if you aren't towing a camper.

You are also entering peak-hour traffic period on the Cape at the moment with every man and his dog heading up there and back. Parks & Wildlife now have a full online booking system that they want everyone to use and I'd get in asap if you haven't already.

I'm away with work a fair bit, but enjoy a Bundy bear or two and if you are passing through Cairns can point you at some not so visited destinations.

Flo-w
15th May 2014, 02:57 PM
As always thanks for the replies!

I've heard of the Skytrek before. I'll check it out.
As for camping we rather stick to free bushcamping wherever we can, especially on a long trip it saves you heaps. I'll check out the hiking trails though.

I reckon I won't have much internet access till Alice so I better ask now:
What's your opinion on Walkers Crossing Track?
What's your preferred track combination for the Simmo?
And what track do you like from Mt Dare up to Alice?

TPC
15th May 2014, 04:31 PM
As always thanks for the replies!

I've heard of the Skytrek before. I'll check it out.
As for camping we rather stick to free bushcamping wherever we can, especially on a long trip it saves you heaps. I'll check out the hiking trails though.

I reckon I won't have much internet access till Alice so I better ask now:
What's your opinion on Walkers Crossing Track?
What's your preferred track combination for the Simmo?
And what track do you like from Mt Dare up to Alice?

Walkers Crossing Track is listed as open to 4WD with caution for ponded water, it can get slow and interesting after rain.
The Simpson really depends on how adventurous you want to get, I have crossed 3 times and gone a different way each time.
I would take Binns track to Alice.

mudnut
15th May 2014, 05:55 PM
Melbourne -> Broken Hill -> Flinders Ranges

We'll leave 17 May from Melbourne. First destination will be the beautiful Flinders Ranges. Any suggestions?

Yeah... put me in your suitcase you lucky bugger:)

Flo-w
16th May 2014, 09:24 AM
Since you drink Bear, you must be a Queenslander!
Bugger!

Cape York has a few not so well known places that in my book are worth a looksy, particularly if you aren't towing a camper.

You are also entering peak-hour traffic period on the Cape at the moment with every man and his dog heading up there and back. Parks & Wildlife now have a full online booking system that they want everyone to use and I'd get in asap if you haven't already.

I'm away with work a fair bit, but enjoy a Bundy bear or two and if you are passing through Cairns can point you at some not so visited destinations.
I'll book as soon as I know when I'll be there. Worked for Fraser last time, I hope it'll work for the Cape. I'll send you a message when we come to Cairns. Cheers mate!

Walkers Crossing Track is listed as open to 4WD with caution for ponded water, it can get slow and interesting after rain.
The Simpson really depends on how adventurous you want to get, I have crossed 3 times and gone a different way each time.
I would take Binns track to Alice.
I'll give Walkers Crossing a go. It was closed last time I was there but then Cooper Creek was flooded. ;)
Ah, Binns Track is a combination of other tracks and called Old Andado Track between Mt Dare and Alice. That's the one I wanted to take anyway. :)

Yeah... put me in your suitcase you lucky bugger:)
There's a spot on the roof rack if you don't mind flies between your teeth...

Flo-w
1st June 2014, 05:03 PM
Made it through the Simmo safe and sound (pics are coming soon). Only needed the shovel 3 times, otherwise no worries. What a beauty! One of the best spots I've ever been to.

Binns Track / Old Andado Track from Mt Dare to Alice was a great choice! Very diverse landscape and amazing colours everywhere. Pretty fast too and good camping where it heads into the ranges south of Santa Teresa.

Alice Springs -> Airlie Beach
Now for the next leg. I'll tour a bit through the western MacDonnells first, haven't been to Palm Valley yet and will drive south from Hermansburg. Then it's the eastern MacDonnells. I'll head north from Ross River to get to the Plenty Highway.
My big question right now is: Plenty Hwy or Sandover Hwy?? And any tips how to continue from there? Looks all pretty boring on the maps...

The other question is: can anyone recommend a good mechanic in Mt Isa? I need to get the car serviced.

Flo-w
2nd June 2014, 09:08 AM
I forgot to mention (and thank you guys for the recommendations) that I had a blast in Silverton (Hotel and Mad Max museum), took a scenic flight from Rawnsley Station, enjoyed the Skytrek and the rest of the Flinders Ranges as well as the Gammon Ranges (took the PAR around the northerns side and then through).

Flo-w
8th June 2014, 04:26 PM
Flinders Ranges from above

heading towards the Gammon Ranges

east of Gammon Ranges heading north

Sturt Desert Peas

Mad Max Museum in Silverton

krbrooking
8th June 2014, 04:40 PM
Good luck on your adventures, sounds like an awesome trip. I cant wait to be able to do this sort of trip with my family. Stay safe out there!!!!!

P.S awesome pics.

Flo-w
10th June 2014, 01:23 PM
Cooper Creek

Good to have signs (Walkers Crossing Track)

It's a birthday!

Gibber plains

Flo-w
15th June 2014, 09:06 PM
Cairns -> Darwin
The Cape is pretty much planed now. The Gulf is next. What to do, what to see other than the Savanna Highway? Which side trips are worth it? And as always, are there any members who want to meet up?

cgm
16th June 2014, 10:11 PM
Great photos!

rusty_nail
17th June 2014, 07:36 AM
wowee, that is absolutely spectacular! makes me want to pack my bags and head out now! thanks for sharing mate!

FNQGU
17th June 2014, 10:15 AM
Across the gulf - drop into Karumba and have a coldie at the sunset Tavern, Do the Normanton - Burketown Road, Leichart River, and the gulf road into the NT. Alternatively skip Burketown etc. and drive down to the 4-ways, up through Gregory Downs and onto Lawn Hill and the gorges, then drop down to the bitumen just shy of Camoweal.

The gulf road through Hell's gate up to Borrolloola (McArthur River) is a good drive, but there aren't many places to camp along the way any more. The couple of homesteads that used to cater for it have closed their doors for various reasons. Woologorang Station used to do it but has closed now I think. I think you'd be able to camp on the far side of the Calvert River still. There is a little spot up the far bank on the RHS. The Calvert River is shallow and worth a stop for a cooling dip in the rock pools. The Robinson River, a little further up the road is also not a bad spot for a swim if nice and clear. Have never heard of crocs around there, but you never know.

Lawn Hill and the gorges really are a must though.

Flo-w
10th July 2014, 09:54 AM
Thanks again FNQGU for all the tips. Was awesome to meet up and go camping. What a special spot you got there! 3 days, 2 nights long campfire is the way to go!

Does anybody else want to meet up for a cold one between Cairns and Kununurra?

Kimberley planing:
I won't have as much time there as I wanted but hope to drive north from the Gibb. Any suggestions there?