PDA

View Full Version : Sat phone call charges

AB
13th May 2014, 06:14 PM
Ok, so I have my new toy and need to ask a very ignorant question which is completely out of character for me...LMAO

Looking at my plan with Telstra with a call connection charge of 50 cents and 99 cents per 30 seconds so $1.49 for a quick "Hi honey, I love you, yeah I wish I was home with you but I have to be 4wding with the forum" phone call or of course the main reason in getting one for help if needed, etc...

Ignorant question = I am "ass"uming I do not get charged if someone calls the sat phone?

How would I find out the cost of calls from other people on mobile and land line devices?....i.e How much will it cost for my misses to call me on an average Telstra mobile $79 plan and or Telstra home phone...lol

Bloodyaussie
13th May 2014, 06:16 PM
George and I were talking about this yesterday and wondered how it all worked

the evil twin
13th May 2014, 06:27 PM
Depends on the phone number and settings etc you have.

If you are using a global roaming "ordinary" mobile sim then the inbound caller pays their "normal" rates to a land based mobile and you get charged the difference.

If it is a "satellite service" sim and phone number the caller pays the full wack.

There is a Doc on teh Telstra site that sets out their call charges but it is a tad obscure. I'll try and find it when I get some time unless someone else can spot it first

Winnie
13th May 2014, 06:29 PM
Dad has one and mum said that he got charged for people calling him.

AB
13th May 2014, 06:33 PM
Depends on the phone number and settings etc you have.

If you are using a global roaming "ordinary" mobile sim then the inbound caller pays their "normal" rates to a land based mobile and you get charged the difference.

If it is a "satellite service" sim and phone number the caller pays the full wack.

There is a Doc on teh Telstra site that sets out their call charges but it is a tad obscure. I'll try and find it when I get some time unless someone else can spot it first

My sim is a satellite service sim I think ET...

https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/coverage-networks/satellite/#tab-access-plans

First plan TMS 35

Bloodyaussie
13th May 2014, 06:36 PM
How about I ring you heaps and see who ends up paying..

AB
13th May 2014, 06:39 PM

I'll get back to you when ET replies...lol

Winnie
13th May 2014, 06:39 PM

You pay as well!

the evil twin
13th May 2014, 06:47 PM
My sim is a satellite service sim I think ET...

https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/coverage-networks/satellite/#tab-access-plans

First plan TMS 35

OK (bear with me it has been a few years and then some since my brief but stellar career with Telstrasux)

Calls to a Telstra Mobile Satellite service (Iridium National Footprint) from a Telstra Mobile OR a Telstra Homeline

We charge you the following for a call from a mobile service to a Telstra Mobile
Satellite service in Australia with
014710, 014711, 0141712, 014714, 014715,014716 or 014718 prefix Telstra Mobile Satellite number in Australia

Connection fee 40¢
Call charge (per 30 seconds or part thereof) 80¢

Charges may be subject to bonus option or other discount, as determined by the caller’s mobile service plan.

A couple of points to note...
Those are Telstra prices so other carriers may charge HEAPS more.
I am in no way a telco dude these days so don't bank 100% on those prices but I am pretty sure they are currrent.

Winnie
13th May 2014, 06:50 PM
"Hi honey, I love you, yeah I wish I was home with you but I have to be 4wding with the forum "

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha Hahahaha.......

Haha!

Bloodyaussie
13th May 2014, 06:53 PM
OK (bear with me it has been a few years and then some since my brief but stellar career with Telstrasux)

Calls to a Telstra Mobile Satellite service (Iridium National Footprint) from a Telstra Mobile OR a Telstra Homeline

We charge you the following for a call from a mobile service to a Telstra Mobile
Satellite service in Australia with
014710, 014711, 0141712, 014714, 014715,014716 or 014718 prefix Telstra Mobile Satellite number in Australia

Connection fee 40¢
Call charge (per 30 seconds or part thereof) 80¢

Charges may be subject to bonus option or other discount, as determined by the caller’s mobile service plan.

A couple of points to note...
Those are Telstra prices so other carriers may charge HEAPS more.
I am in no way a telco dude these days so don't bank 100% on those prices but I am pretty sure they are currrent.

This sounds like what it was like when mobile phones first came out..... except cheaper.. you would not know about this Winnie as you are a little wee buby !!!!!

the evil twin
13th May 2014, 06:55 PM
Essentially the "0147" triggers the premium service charges in the billing system so depending on your "plans and bundles" it will probably be cheaper for wifey to ring you.

Be aware that if the call doesn't connect it should (or at least it used to) lodge a missed call message which costs you 50 cents (give or take) PLUS you need to access the message at your Satellite Rate to get the message to see who it was.

I just ignore messages but you still get the lodgement charge (assuming that is still the current way of doing things).

AB
13th May 2014, 07:05 PM
Essentially the "0147" triggers the premium service charges in the billing system so depending on your "plans and bundles" it will probably be cheaper for wifey to ring you.

Be aware that if the call doesn't connect it should (or at least it used to) lodge a missed call message which costs you 50 cents (give or take) PLUS you need to access the message at your Satellite Rate to get the message to see who it was.

I just ignore messages but you still get the lodgement charge (assuming that is still the current way of doing things).

Thanks for your help ET. Yep so it's cheaper for the misses to call me...great...lol

I'm pretty sure I get the lodgement charge as well.

Thanks mate!

Bloodyaussie
13th May 2014, 07:07 PM
Andy you have a text message?? Your going to hurt me aren't you !!

Winnie
13th May 2014, 07:11 PM
Andy you have a text message?? Your going to hurt me aren't you !!

Text messages cost the sender about 10 bucks each... You idiot!

AB
13th May 2014, 07:19 PM
It's the same text format and algorithm we used back in the 90's...nightmare...lol

the evil twin
26th July 2014, 10:06 PM
A heads up for anyone using $10 a month Telstra SIM in Sat phones like I do.

If you make/receive any Sat calls on a trip or register onto the Irridium system IE turn your Sat Phone on, don't forget to take the SIM card out and wack it in a mobile when you are finished your trip and make it register back on the NextG network.

If you don't the number stays as last registered to the Satellite system and any SMS or calls that divert are charged at Telstra Satellite rates.
Because the call gets "answered" and then diverted if the phone is off it still incurs the connection charge.
A couple of wrong numbers or messages (even from Telstra) and it is easy to run up 10 or 20 bucks.

AB
27th July 2014, 06:53 AM
Nice one ET...

For anyone who remembers I had issues with my docking station, it has just been fixed under warranty and is being sent back now at no charge thank god, they had to replace the main PCB.

I can't really say why this happened on a public forum but if anyone is about to purchase one and install it then PM me.

the evil twin
27th July 2014, 10:36 AM
Jeez, I forgot to get back to you about what I thought it may have been when we were chatting at Dalhousie

PM sent

Hardyards
27th July 2014, 05:21 PM
Cheers AB,
We have just bought ours as well, have charged it ready to leave on Saturday.
Was wondering about the call chargers as well.:smiley_thumbs_up:
Good question, well asked!