PDA

View Full Version : TB45 Extractors

Chubba
9th May 2014, 06:19 PM
has anyone fitted EXTRACTORS to a 4.5l petrol , and if so what kind of performance has it given, and has it improved the sound??????

growler2058
9th May 2014, 07:04 PM
Get a 3" mandrel bent jobby n extractors I rekon itd sound tuff. Or stuff the extractors turbo the bugger

Drewboyaus
9th May 2014, 10:05 PM
3 inch on a TB45 would be too big. I'm considering adding one to my TB42 but most likely 2 1/4.
You'll need a high flow cat too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Alitis007
9th May 2014, 11:50 PM
What is going to be the use in the long term of the truck?? Toy, tourer, daily or all rounder???

Chubba
10th May 2014, 02:10 PM
What is going to be the use in the long term of the truck?? Toy, tourer, daily or all rounder???

All of the above.

Alitis007
10th May 2014, 07:31 PM
Well generally power gain from any exhaust can vary from 7hp up to 14hp. If your not going to turbo it soon just look for a 2.25" exhaust system with a set of extractors, 100 cell per square inch hiflow cat and a quality sports muffler, bigger the better coz it'll have more packing material so it doesn't drone on the hwy and it'll give it a nice note. If your not going to turbo your rig dw about mandrel bends and bigger sized pipes coz you will loose back pressure and low to mid range torque and make the thing drive like a pig but if its set up right you should get better fuel economy and a more responsive car.

Drewboyaus
15th May 2014, 10:25 PM
Well generally power gain from any exhaust can vary from 7hp up to 14hp. If your not going to turbo it soon just look for a 2.25" exhaust system with a set of extractors, 100 cell per square inch hiflow cat and a quality sports muffler, bigger the better coz it'll have more packing material so it doesn't drone on the hwy and it'll give it a nice note. If your not going to turbo your rig dw about mandrel bends and bigger sized pipes coz you will loose back pressure and low to mid range torque and make the thing drive like a pig but if its set up right you should get better fuel economy and a more responsive car.

So here's a question I just thought of.......
I hadn't considered the press-bent exhaust alternative to help retain back pressure (had always just assumed mandrel bend was best) but if you were to go a press bent 2.5 would that give a similar result to a mandrel bent 2.25?
Did that make sense?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Alitis007
15th May 2014, 11:10 PM
So here's a question I just thought of....... I hadn't considered the press-bent exhaust alternative to help retain back pressure (had always just assumed mandrel bend was best) but if you were to go a press bent 2.5 would that give a similar result to a mandrel bent 2.25? Did that make sense? Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

It'll be louder which would be great if you wanted to attract attention but the pressure would drop, the straight bits are 2.5" but where its pressed is 2.25" where say the standard is 2.25" on the straight parts and around 2" on the bends. If you can imagine the air in the exhaust thru a pressed bend system slows down on the straight sections which are larger in diameter and speeds up in the smaller bent sections, on a non turbo car the headers are what do most of the work coz they "extract" the exhaust gasses from the head, coz of the rev range we mainly use our cars in air speed is not a major factor but the back pressure is. On a turbo motor or high revving motor you want a little bit of back pressure to help make power before the turbo spools but you need the exhaust gases to move as fast as possible without affecting the turbo or engine performance. There's a formula to working out exhaust diameters which i don't know but i see it like this, a car leaves the factory to be reliable and efficient as it can, so the best mods are ones that help it do that faster or easier. Manufacturers don't spend millions of $$ on r&d to stay within the adr's for no reason lol for us to come along and throw on parts coz we'll think it'll go harder

Alitis007
15th May 2014, 11:14 PM
On the phone atm but check out a thread called 3" exhaust Bulbous hits the nail on the head and explains it better than me lol