PDA

View Full Version : So the the old GUrl is up for new suspension. Torn between 3 or 4inch.

mudski
8th May 2014, 04:11 PM
I'm pickup some new 35's tomorrow. I was under the troll yesty putting the locker back in and took, yet another, look at the shocks on my OME kit and they are fubar. Springs are shagged too. As it stands now, I have 25mm spacers in there and it sits exactly the same it did when the 2inch OME kit was put in 10 years ago. So its definitely fubar. Now I first had in mind a 4inch lift but as I run around with 31inch roadies on its gonna look crap and I reckon it might be cop bait like this too. So then I'm thinking should I just go a 3inch kit. But will the 3inch be enough for the 35's?
I realise I need drop boxes , front and rear panhards but the control arms do I need upper or lower for the rear? BA and myself were chatting and he has longer lowers but then I see a comment MR has said about using upper arms. These need to be shorter don't they? Which do I need or can get away with for now until the funds are better to get both. I'd love to get both as I would obviously get stronger ones but I don't think I can stretch the budget right now.

Cheers.

Bloodyaussie
8th May 2014, 04:42 PM
My neighbour's gu sat on 3 inch and ran 35's.... not issue at all from memory.

mudski
8th May 2014, 04:59 PM
Thanks. My mind keeps telling me I'm technically over the legal limit anyway, just go the 4inch. But then I think if I go 3inch it won't look as sus with the roadies on. Unless I find some 33inch AT's at a good price I might be good for 4inch. But then its more $$$. Arghh! The more I spend here the more I take from the TD42 build savings, which is almost the lot already.

MudRunnerTD
8th May 2014, 05:14 PM
there is a big difference between a 3" and a 4" lift Mark. A 3" lift you will Not Need Panards front or rear, you will not need Uppers or Lowers. Big $$ savings there for sure.

My GUIV has a 3" lift. Drop Boxes, HD Drag link, Brake lines shocks and springs. I run HD lower arms as they are very exposed and i like strong stuff, standard length though and no dramas at all. My GQ runs standard length lowers and adjustable uppers to realign the pinion angle of the rear diff.

additionally for a 4" lift you will need front and rear Panards, Adjustable Upper trailing arms (there is basically $1000 added to the lift)

threedogs
8th May 2014, 05:48 PM
Why not a Flexi coil 3" job will flex 4" easy
Other than having to get it engineered what will a 4" do a 3" wont.
even a good 2" will see you go most places, with a locker even better

89gqpatrol4x4
8th May 2014, 06:21 PM
I took MR 's advice and went a 3 inch lift. Not so tall it's cop bait, but tall enough for most things. Keeps centre of gravity that little lower aswell. I run 35's and had to cut the back of the front guard and the back of the rear guard aswell as the quarter chop. I ran the original lower arms and on full flex the tyres tucked up perfectly in the guards! I did change them to standard length superior items because they are weak as piss! I also run adjustable panhards after I bent my rear one into a boomerang. I also run 31's sometimes and it looks ridiculous. It looks like a skateboard! I changed my lower control arms because they are a known weak point. The old ones were about 2kg and the new ones 8.5kg. A little stronger! Also if you do change your lower with superior don't just say you want standard length because they are not all the same as I found out. So you need to measure them, My standard length lower arms are actually + 10mm from superior.

mudski
8th May 2014, 06:22 PM
there is a big difference between a 3" and a 4" lift Mark. A 3" lift you will Not Need Panards front or rear, you will not need Uppers or Lowers. Big $$ savings there for sure.

My GUIV has a 3" lift. Drop Boxes, HD Drag link, Brake lines shocks and springs. I run HD lower arms as they are very exposed and i like strong stuff, standard length though and no dramas at all. My GQ runs standard length lowers and adjustable uppers to realign the pinion angle of the rear diff.

additionally for a 4" lift you will need front and rear Panards, Adjustable Upper trailing arms (there is basically $1000 added to the lift)

Thanks Darren. You reckon the 3inch will be good with 35's though? Or am I just better off going 4 and be done with it?

Why not a Flexi coil 3" job will flex 4" easy
Other than having to get it engineered what will a 4" do a 3" wont.
even a good 2" will see you go most places, with a locker even better
Its more for the tyre size too John. 35's under a 2inch lift is gonna be real close I reckon. The 2inch is o.k but if I'm doing it. Why not go a little higher? What will getting it engineered prove? Its still technically illegal isn't it? Engineered or not?

mudski
8th May 2014, 06:24 PM
I took MR 's advice and went a 3 inch lift. Not so tall it's cop bait, but tall enough for most things. Keeps centre of gravity that little lower aswell. I run 35's and had to cut the back of the front guard and the back of the rear guard aswell as the quarter chop. I ran the original lower arms and on full flex the tyres tucked up perfectly in the guards! I did change them to standard length superior items because they are weak as piss! I also run adjustable panhards after I bent my rear one into a boomerang. I also run 31's sometimes and it looks ridiculous. It looks like a skateboard! I changed my lower control arms because they are a known weak point. The old ones were about 2kg and the new ones 8.5kg. A little stronger! Also if you do change your lower with superior don't just say you want standard length because they are not all the same as I found out. So you need to measure them, My standard length lower arms are actually + 10mm from superior.

Thanks but you have a GQ. Different story with a GU mate. I won't be going down the quarter chop route aswell. Not for a long time...

mudski
8th May 2014, 06:27 PM
How good are flexi coils too? Damn expensive they are...

megatexture
8th May 2014, 06:34 PM
3 inch is enough for the 35s. when I had them on with my 2" the only place they rubbed was on the fuel filler guard (plastic easily remoulded with a heat gun) and on full flex up in the rear wheel arch just above the chassis

Winnie
8th May 2014, 06:39 PM
You can fit 35s on a 2 inch lift with a GU. A mate has a 4 inch GU with 33s and it looks stupid.

Bloodyaussie
8th May 2014, 07:01 PM
Personally I like a 3 inch lift on a GU with 35's...

Why did Simon (ARB) insist on me getting 4 inch shocks to go with a 3 inch lift???

threedogs
8th May 2014, 07:04 PM
engineered will see you legal wouldn't it, still think 3" flexi coils would be the go.
, not a fan of going too far away from OE just more things to go wrong
Going 35" is illegal anyway isn't it

lucus30
8th May 2014, 07:11 PM
35's is always illegal unless engineered

mudski
8th May 2014, 07:24 PM

Why did Simon (ARB) insist on me getting 4 inch shocks to go with a 3 inch lift???

But you have the extra lift with the thicker spring pads. If you didn't i would see the longer shocks bottoming out, but giving you longer travel... Can someone please confirm this?
I fail to see how getting an engineers cert for 35's will make it right though...
Where the best place for flexi coils? They are dearer but might be the better choice.

Ben-e-boy
8th May 2014, 07:26 PM
engineered will see you legal wouldn't it, still think 3" flexi coils would be the go.
, not a fan of going too far away from OE just more things to go wrong
Going 35" is illegal anyway isn't it

Flexy coils are really designed for weight. They are a progressive spring.
Lineal rate coils are the way to go

Ben-e-boy
8th May 2014, 07:32 PM
I also dont understand how 3 inch lift and standard panards can be ok... every 3 inch lift I have seen and even installed without changing the the panhards there is a visible difference in the location of the diffs side to side.

Bloodyaussie
8th May 2014, 07:35 PM
I also dont understand how 3 inch lift and standard panards can be ok... every 3 inch lift I have seen and even installed without changing the the panhards there is a visible difference in the location of the diffs side to side.

I swear by Panhards on a 3 inch lift... when we had my car on the hoist everything was hitting until I fitted adjustable panhards..

mudski
8th May 2014, 07:39 PM
Flexy coils are really designed for weight. They are a progressive spring.
Lineal rate coils are the way to go

Ben. I do tow a heavy camper too. But not all the time obviously. My shagged 2inch lift doesn't move when I hook the trailer up aswell. So you wouldn't recommend flexi coils? I think 3inch will be the way to go. If I need to get panhards etc etc then so be it.
I have been quote on Dobinsons 3inch coils and 4inch Tough Dog shocks, both 41mm bore and the adjustable 45mm bore. Do I still go the 4inch shock?

mudski
8th May 2014, 07:57 PM
there is a big difference between a 3" and a 4" lift Mark. My GQ runs standard length lowers and adjustable uppers to realign the pinion angle of the rear diffll..

I am confused on this. I have seen they sell longer lower arms, to tilt the pinion angle up. But you have the opposite. So the upper arms would need to be shorter yes?
I might ring ARB tomorrow to see how much they would sting me on a 3inch OME kit. I'm tipping its going to be a lot but I need to know. As I don't want to be riding a brick too.

MudRunnerTD
8th May 2014, 07:58 PM

My GUIV sits perfectly centred on 3" lifted coils and standard panards. Within 5mm at ride height. The adjustable panards are there to centre ride height. I had adjustable a to go on it but did not fit them as it sat right. Been on these coils for 5 years now and still sits perfect

MudRunnerTD
8th May 2014, 07:59 PM
35's is always illegal unless engineered

You can't get 35s Engineered unfortunately. Damn it!

Bloodyaussie
8th May 2014, 08:00 PM
No one can answer my question...Benny????

MudRunnerTD
8th May 2014, 08:02 PM
Mark I fit 35s under the GUIV with ease. I will be running the 35s again for the Simpson trip because they are the Best tyres I have. I will have no clearance issues.

Bloodyaussie
8th May 2014, 08:03 PM
Yoohoo............ I am over here ???????

MudRunnerTD
8th May 2014, 08:06 PM

Because some will argue that the 4" shock will fit fine and given it's longer will allow for longer downward travel on articulation therefore providing better flex. The drawback though is the potential for the shock to be too long at ride height and you have a restricted or shortened compression as the compressed length is longer and it could bottom out within the travel of the spring. This is why they also talk about increasing the bump stops to limit that compression because your shocks are too long ;)

Ben-e-boy
8th May 2014, 08:07 PM
I woudnt recommend progressive rate coil like the SS flexy, they have their place, not for an all round tourer IMO
You can put as big a shock as you want as long as it is set up right.

Bloodyaussie
8th May 2014, 08:08 PM
Because some will argue that the 4" shock will fit fine and given it's longer will allow for longer downward travel on articulation therefore providing better flex. The drawback though is the potential for the shock to be too long at ride height and you have a restricted or shortened compression as the compressed length is longer and it could bottom out within the travel of the spring. This is why they also talk about increasing the bump stops to limit that compression because your shocks are too long ;)

Thanks Darren, that wasn't so hard now was it.... Mudski shut and buy stuff!!!!!!!!!!

Ben-e-boy
8th May 2014, 08:14 PM
No one can answer my question...Benny????

What question?

mudski
8th May 2014, 08:24 PM
Mudski shut and buy stuff!!!!!!!!!!
No you!!! Its alright for you! Your truck is set. Mine ain't.
O.k as this will be my daily right I think I need to go 3inch??? Everyone agree? Yes? Rememnber I don't want to end up a paraplegic from hard as rock suspension
1. I have been quoted on 3inch Dobinsons and also Tough Dog. $140 price between the two, TD's being the dearer. Is it worth the extra coin?
2. The shockersI have been quoted on are Tough dogs again 41mm bore and 45mm Adjustables. I am leaning towards the 45mm ones. These are 4inch too. Will these work???
3. Drop boxes I will definitely get
4. Front and rear panhards I will get. I don't have the time to get caught out. I have basically less than five days to get this stuff and fit it.
5. Longer rear lower control arms I will get. Same as above...
6. Should I look at upper control arms?

mudski
8th May 2014, 08:25 PM
What question?

this one....

Winnie
8th May 2014, 08:28 PM
Mark... Why are you going 3 inch? For the driving you do, 2 inch would be plenty.

mudski
8th May 2014, 08:31 PM
Mark... Why are you going 3 inch? For the driving you do, 2 inch would be plenty.

That bit of extra height is always good isn't it? Besides the whole suspension is rooted. I might aswell go a bit different. If this wasn't my daily driver I would just go 4 and be done with it.

MudRunnerTD
8th May 2014, 08:33 PM
I dislike the whole concept of Longer lower trailing arms as the solution for adjusting the pinion angle. It's illogical! It is mathematically incorrect in my head.

So one of the reasons for changing the length of the trailing arms also is to provide guard clearance when the vehicle articulates and the tyres go up into the wheel arch. The wheel arch on a gu is huge so it's not that big a deal for you. By increasing the length of the power arms you arm risking the tyre as hong into the Back of the wheel arch on the way up.

I have read plenty with this problem so they trim guards......WTF??? Fit standardlength arms and you don't create this problem??

Illogical! Fit longer trailing arms, cause rear wheel arch damage, trim guards. Or run standard length and have no issues.

Fitting 10mm longer arms is not the same as. Bene"s Long Arms. That is a whole other conversation. Completely different logic involved there.

mudski
8th May 2014, 08:42 PM
Thanks Darren that makes sense...So the upper arms need to be shorter yes? No longer.... :tongue:

MudRunnerTD
8th May 2014, 08:45 PM
Thanks Darren that makes sense...So the upper arms need to be shorter yes?

Yes I would go adjustable uppers and HD standard length lowers.

I have Superiors 4140 Chromoly lower trailing arms on both cars. No brainer addition.

Ben-e-boy
8th May 2014, 08:45 PM
I would expect the longer lower arms to bring the wheelbase to where it should be

mudski
8th May 2014, 08:54 PM
I would expect the longer lower arms to bring the wheelbase to where it should be

Aw Gawd!!!! That what I was thinking but geometry and me aren't the best of friends.

I'll get the adjustable uppers first. Leave the lowers for now and instal the lift. I'm going away on the weekend after this Past Mansfield. I'll see what its like.

So as to getting 4inch shocks? O.k? I should be measuring the travel first though I'm thinking...

MudRunnerTD
8th May 2014, 08:56 PM

I don't disagree with that Bene at all. At ride height they probably do reposition the rear diff back maybe 6 or 7mm allowing for the radius of the trailing arm at a increased angle. My bitch with it though is what it does to the wheel base as soon as it flexes, at that point it fully increases the wheel base by the whole 10mm or 16mm depending on the length you buy and all of that is Behind the Rear Diff and all of it risks impact with the rear of the guards.

I am not sure what the 6 or 7mm correction will provide in terms of handling benefits? Some? Maybe? The down side of that though is there and it's just as real. IMO. I know you have you head around the Geometry far better than I do mate and would be happy to hear what your thoughts are on the 6mm versus the 10mm on compression?

MudRunnerTD
8th May 2014, 08:59 PM
You will also get some of that wheel base correction when you adjust the upper arms to drop the pinion down again. Maybe half the loss I'd reckon?

mudski
8th May 2014, 08:59 PM
Yes I would go adjustable uppers and HD standard length lowers.

I have Superiors 4140 Chromoly lower trailing arms on both cars. No brainer addition.

If I had time to wait for the Superior stuff I would. As the lower arm I know if that breaks you are gonna be up one of those creeks in one of those canoes with no paddle.

mudski
8th May 2014, 11:21 PM
Noice!!!! Dunno what those shocks are like though. Never heard of them.
https://www.suspensionstuff.com.au/3-flexy-coil-kit-for-gq-gu-nissan-patrol.html

Good website to look at different stuff.
Those Amada Extreme shocks look sweet but no protection on the shaft is a bit keen isn't it?

MudRunnerTD
9th May 2014, 12:03 AM
I have not heard of the Oztec shocks mate. I run the Amada Extreme Remote Res shocks on the GQ and reckon they are great!!

Alitis007
9th May 2014, 12:10 AM
Why don't you lower it 3" Mark, put a set of 22's on a drive around ?? I got a grinder to chop the springs???? Its not like you go off rd anyway :) ........

Alitis007
9th May 2014, 12:12 AM
I've seen nothing but great things about the Amada shocks and they'll be on my list when i eventually do my suspension. My shocks are noisy as and they've ruined my tyres lol

mudski
9th May 2014, 11:17 AM
Your a smartarse George. Its called having other things in life that get in the way on my fun...

Alitis007
9th May 2014, 11:56 AM
Your a smartarse George. Its called having other things in life that get in the way on my fun...
Hahaha you love it Mark!! Trust me mate you can't be as busy as me but i make the time to get the rig dirt lol

mudski
9th May 2014, 12:14 PM
Hahaha you love it Mark!! Trust me mate you can't be as busy as me but i make the time to get the rig dirt lol

Wanna bet... Hang on! Everytime I go out your not there so shut ya trap bucko'!
So I have gone against the grain and ordered 3inch Flexy coils and adjustable upper arms from Suspension stuff. After a long winded chat with them I am happy with my purchase. I just bloody hope they get here in time to put in. I need to get drop boxes, shockers and panhards now. The lower control arms I discussed with Suspension stuff and they said its borderline when on a 3inch whether you need them or not. So I might leave them for now, get it all in, go for a spin next weekend and test it out. Then after that I will go either standard or plus 10mm in a stronger arm.
As for shockers, the said the Amada's are the goods but do give a harsher ride on the black top. As its not a full time 4wd (shut up George!) they advised on the Tough dog 45mm adjustables. But hey said these don't like heat too much and sand driving and long corrugated roads will shorten the life of them. But for high country he said they will be good.
Lets hope they get here in time...

Got my 35's today too.
They're messive bro!

BigRAWesty
9th May 2014, 12:38 PM
I'm surprised no one has pulled you up about felxies. I've read heaps were they have sagged after a short life..
Then you get me and Darren running ome constant rate springs and they barely sagged after a good life and workout..

Anyway keep us informed as it all helps.

mudski
9th May 2014, 12:46 PM
Yeah well they reckon they won't sag any quicker than conventionals but we will find out. If they do then so be it I have made the wrong choice but they will be a crap load better than whats in there now so I will enjoy it. 2inch OME with 30mm spacers and it sits at the same height as it did when the suspension was installed new without the spacers...Too late to talk me out of it anyhow as I have paid and they are on their way.... Maybe its time to put my flame proof suit on you think? Lol. Like I said I happy with my purchase, albeit a bloody expensive one...

threedogs
9th May 2014, 01:08 PM
Can shoot Big Fletch a PM he fitted 3" Flexi to his Patrol earlier this year

Alitis007
9th May 2014, 01:26 PM
Wanna bet... Hang on! Everytime I go out your not there so shut ya trap bucko'! So I have gone against the grain and ordered 3inch Flexy coils and adjustable upper arms from Suspension stuff. After a long winded chat with them I am happy with my purchase. I just bloody hope they get here in time to put in. I need to get drop boxes, shockers and panhards now. The lower control arms I discussed with Suspension stuff and they said its borderline when on a 3inch whether you need them or not. So I might leave them for now, get it all in, go for a spin next weekend and test it out. Then after that I will go either standard or plus 10mm in a stronger arm. As for shockers, the said the Amada's are the goods but do give a harsher ride on the black top. As its not a full time 4wd (shut up George!) they advised on the Tough dog 45mm adjustables. But hey said these don't like heat too much and sand driving and long corrugated roads will shorten the life of them. But for high country he said they will be good. Lets hope they get here in time... Got my 35's today too. They're messive bro!

bahahaaa thats only a couple of times mate! And btw thanks for the sig line :D

As its not a full time 4wd .... George!

mudski
9th May 2014, 01:40 PM
And so are 90percent of the 4wds on this forum....So a funny has not been made. I love my pony...

Alitis007
9th May 2014, 01:50 PM
And so are 90percent of the 4wds on this forum....So a funny has not been made. I love my pony... Lol but i don't know 90% of the people here haha. Can i put xtrail badges on it for you too?? Pleaaaase ??? Pml!!
As its not a full time 4wd .... George!

MudRunnerTD
9th May 2014, 01:57 PM
Dont buy the Superior Drop Boxes as they require cutting and i am not a fan. I have the Superiors on the GQ and did the cut. I fitted Non Cutting ones to the GUIV and they were so much easier to fit it was nuts. and if i take them out there is no reminder.

Something like THIS (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/nissan-patrol-gq-gu-drop-boxes-/121330770900?pt=AU_Go_Karts&hash=item1c3fe0a3d4&_uhb=1) would be perfect

mudski
9th May 2014, 02:43 PM
Thanks Darren. I will message him to see how he posts them. If its with Aus Post I am better off getting some local and paying the little extra. I have only next week to get everything and put it together...Beers at my place if anyones interested at coming over a helping out, or just drink my beer...:)
What do you actually need to cut too?
on the other side of town but these look ok...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISSAN-GQ-PATROL-DROP-BOX-TO-SUIT-3-5-LIFT-HEAVY-DUTY-BOLT-IN-STYLE-/281216466319?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4179cebd8f

(http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/705-53470-19255-0/1?campid=5336709507&toolid=10001&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fitm%2FNISSAN-GQ-PATROL-DROP-BOX-TO-SUIT-3-5-LIFT-HEAVY-DUTY-BOLT-IN-STYLE-%2F281216466319%3Fpt%3DAU_Car_Parts_Accessories%26 amp%3Bhash%3Ditem4179cebd8f)

lhurley
9th May 2014, 02:58 PM
http://www.superiorengineering.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=31_32_34_194&products_id=17231

Superior drop boxes dont need cutting.

Superior is actually closer to you then suspension stuff is (both either side of Brisbane) so if you need superior stuff, other then the fact its friday shouldnt take any longer then suspension stuff.

MudRunnerTD
9th May 2014, 03:54 PM
Thanks Darren. I will message him to see how he posts them. If its with Aus Post I am better off getting some local and paying the little extra. I have only next week to get everything and put it together...Beers at my place if anyones interested at coming over a helping out, or just drink my beer...:)
What do you actually need to cut too?
on the other side of town but these look ok...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISSAN-GQ-PATROL-DROP-BOX-TO-SUIT-3-5-LIFT-HEAVY-DUTY-BOLT-IN-STYLE-/281216466319?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4179cebd8f

(http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/705-53470-19255-0/1?campid=5336709507&toolid=10001&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fitm%2FNISSAN-GQ-PATROL-DROP-BOX-TO-SUIT-3-5-LIFT-HEAVY-DUTY-BOLT-IN-STYLE-%2F281216466319%3Fpt%3DAU_Car_Parts_Accessories%26 amp%3Bhash%3Ditem4179cebd8f)

Yeah they look fine Mark, pretty much identical and will work fine

http://www.superiorengineering.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=31_32_34_194&products_id=17231

Superior drop boxes dont need cutting.

Superior is actually closer to you then suspension stuff is (both either side of Brisbane) so if you need superior stuff, other then the fact its friday shouldnt take any longer then suspension stuff.

Yeah the original Superiors Drop Boxes needed Cutting and i have them on the GQ, you had to cut a square slot out of eh bottom of the chassis. Not very Kool! The guy that made the original "No Cut" should have put a patent on them, everyone is copying his design now and there are plenty that now sell a "No Cut" drop box.

mudski
9th May 2014, 04:05 PM
The only issue is the size. The ones that Jonathan has are low profile ones. Like the Superiors. Thats what I'd prefer...Just gotta find them.

mudski
11th May 2014, 09:48 PM
Bump stops! I forgot about bump stops!!!

Drewboyaus
11th May 2014, 10:40 PM
You can't get 35s Engineered unfortunately. Damn it!

Really? I didn't know that. I wonder why?

I'm with Winnie on this too. I know you've spent your cash but for your usage, I would have gone with a 2" lift and what was saved on not forking out for the rest of the parts (panhards, drop boxes etc) could have been spent on a rear locker which would increase your off road capability significantly more than the extra 2" of lift........
That's my 2c

mudski
11th May 2014, 11:19 PM
From what I have been reading a 2inch lift is damn close with 35's. Don't matter anyway. I am happy with my choice. I can't wait until it all arrives so I can put it in. As for rear locker. Thats on the way too, but not yet. Gotta get this done first. Lol, so much for saving the coin for the TD42 build.

nissannewby
12th May 2014, 09:56 PM
As long as your happy mate. I hope you are ok with being in a boat or are going to upgrade your swaybars. Having had flexy coils myself with the same description they give on that site she will be rolly mate. I only had mine in a ute and the utes don't suffer anywhere near as much as the wagons in body roll. They do work good though.

You may not need bump stop extension mates as there are more coils (so more steel) you may find the coil will limit your up travel. I'm not sure if you stuck with the supplied shocks but I would have spent a little extra and gone the amadas.

mudski
12th May 2014, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the input Matt. I ended up going the 4inch Tough Dog 45mm Adjustables. I did think about upgrading the sway bars too but though to hang off and see how she rides first. Hmm so you think I won't need the bump stops? I was under the impression I would, especially if I went the flexy coils...

nissannewby
13th May 2014, 02:43 AM
I would just wait until you can do some measurements before forking out money for them as you don't want to spend the money then have the wrong size and have to wait while you send them back and get the right ones sent to you if you know what I mean.

Ben-e-boy
13th May 2014, 06:00 AM
You will have to cut the bump stop plate on the rear diff or they will hit the shock and ruin it.

Bloodyaussie
13th May 2014, 07:37 AM
Yeah I cut mine after I snapped the rear control arm..

mudski
13th May 2014, 05:37 PM
I would just wait until you can do some measurements before forking out money for them as you don't want to spend the money then have the wrong size and have to wait while you send them back and get the right ones sent to you if you know what I mean.

The guy has them in stock anyway so I might hold off on them and measure it up first...

mudski
13th May 2014, 05:51 PM
Fuck! Time to hit panic stations already I think. I rang the Courier company who is sending the springs down and they think I won't see them until Friday or even Monday!!!! Even though I ordered them last Friday. The springs will go from Burleigh heads, up to Brisbane, then to Sydney, and then to Melbourne!!! I need this done by Friday mid arvo at the absolute latest. I need a drink!

Bloodyaussie
13th May 2014, 06:01 PM
Should have got the Dobinsons or Tough dogs I could get...... would be here tomorrow.

mudski
13th May 2014, 06:11 PM
Yeah that helps...I'm gonna have to get some springs locally i think just in case. I can't miss out on this weekend. Been waiting 12 months for this.

Bloodyaussie
13th May 2014, 06:12 PM
I aim to please..... could be worse..... you could be me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Winnie
13th May 2014, 06:14 PM
I had stuff despatched from superior and I received them today.

mudski
13th May 2014, 06:16 PM
I aim to please..... could be worse..... you could be me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing wrong with you mate...

mudski
13th May 2014, 06:17 PM
I had stuff despatched from superior and I received them today.

Not helping.....

Bloodyaussie
13th May 2014, 06:19 PM
You blind??????????

mudski
13th May 2014, 06:25 PM
You blind??????????

Lol yes I am... tell him to get the cheaper ones.

Bloodyaussie
13th May 2014, 06:26 PM
What????? You make no sense ????

Winnie
13th May 2014, 06:33 PM
Not helping.....

I'll make it worse too, it was auspost.

mudski
13th May 2014, 06:52 PM
I'll make it worse too, it was auspost.

Lalalalalalalala.

Bloodyaussie
13th May 2014, 07:05 PM
I have gotten completely lost now???

mudski
13th May 2014, 08:01 PM

Sorry I'm lost too... booze does this. Lol
You reckon your mate can get the Dobbies in tomorrow or Thursday? Would I be ok to run with stock rear upper arms for a weekend?

Clunk
13th May 2014, 08:41 PM

So has his lift kit Bwahahahaha

mudski
14th May 2014, 05:39 PM
Springs turned up! wOOt! Got my drop boxes, rear upper and lower arms, pads, just waiting on shocks and panhards and then the fun begins.

mudski
18th May 2014, 11:19 PM
O.k After starting the rebuild on 11:30am Thursday morning, I end that day at around 12:30am. Then started again at around 10am on Friday morning and finally finished everything at around 3pm. The only pic I took the whole time was of the old and new spring. I didn't have time to take more.

The car feels very different. My first drive was straight up the Highway to Mansfield and then past Merijig to the property. So I reckon I stopped maybe 10 tens on the way up checking every bloody nut and bolt was done up. Driving with no radio on and listening to all the new creaks from the suspension settling in. Around the street I do notice the difference with the 35's. On the highway, I reckon it went slightly better than before, it sits better in the power range at 100-110k's now. She still slows on those big hills though. Lol. Out on the tracks. While I didn't get a chance to try a lot of tracks that would test it out, the few step and technical tracks we did with some good rocky steps the car seem to climb up them great. Maybe it was just the combo of new suspension, new and larger tyres. Where the suspension excelled was on the tracks with those annoying wash ways. Before the car would fell like I have driven off a cliff the the old OME setup, now it was quite smooth. Where the suspension did F.A was on a track called No.3 Rd on our way down to the King valley. The track was riddled with thousands of rocks and man it was a bumpy ride. Was funny to watch the trail bike riders on it....But other than that I am a happy man.
What was fitted and done....

3inch Suspension stuff flexy coils
4inch Tought dog 45mm Adjustable shockers
drop boxes
Adjustable front panhard rod
Adjustable rear panhard rod
rear lower control arms plus 10mm
rear upper control arms adjustable
Front and rear bump stops
rear longer brake hose (didn't do the front as the nut on the pipe was rounded so I just undid the bracket from the diff for now)
Switched the tailshaft over so the small end is at the box. ( Thank you BA for this as I wouldn't have done it)
Got stuffed around multiple times a day from my mobile constantly ringing or getting text messages. Always happens when you just want to get shite done....
Fitted my 35's...:Yahoo!:

I was kinda getting worried that it would look over the top for some reason but it actually looks well in proportion I think. These are just a couple of pics I took over the weekend...

Oh! and this is the view I had to put up with while boozing around the camp fire...

And big thanks has to go out for all who had their input into this. It was a big help. And I must not forget "old mate" Jonathan for giving up and evening to give me a hand. My Yearly "boys weekend" would have gone on without me if you didn't help.

So there is one last thing I need to do. BA will agree with me on this. I to piss my crappy arse 31inch roadies off and get some 33's to drive on the road with. Gawd they are horrid looking wheels! So if you know anyone in Melbourne who has 4, or five 33inch AT's, or maybe even muddies, maybe. Lemmeknow.

Cheers.

Rip'n'Shred
3rd September 2014, 11:37 AM
WOW what a story, all in 10 days!

I read this looking for shock options. I was tricked into the SS crap shocks, have been replaced several times and seem to get worse each time.

How do you rate the tough dogs now a couple of months later? On road and off?

I have the same springs as yours, drop boxs, adjustable panhards that where required with the lift, HD upper arms, yet to replace lowers.