PDA

View Full Version : Map light upgrade to SMD panel

Robo
7th May 2014, 05:33 PM
My roof console was installed by previous owner the interior light is now lower and more behind my shoulder so to speak.
light tends not to spread around the cabin to well any more.

I had these small panels so thought I'd put em to use.

remove light fitting, 1 screw inside the sun glasses pocket.
pry down gently the corners are retained by expansion clips.

bright pic of lights working is using cameras filter for bright daylight conditions to reduce flare.
last pics is using flash to subdue glare for better pic.

few tips to make easyer so I've put that on each pic.
Cheers

Alitis007
7th May 2014, 06:38 PM
I've done the same mod but i found they unstick but coz they are led they don't put out much heat so won't burn the plastic

Robo
8th May 2014, 05:07 AM
I've done the same mod but i found they unstick but coz they are led they don't put out much heat so won't burn the plastic

I have larger ones in the interior light fitting but never bothered to stick em to any thing they just lay on lens but as this is right above dash area in good placement to readby I thought I'd try and get em higher in light fitting to allow lens to do its job of focusing light.

I now have a light to read by that's easily 4 x better than before.

threedogs
8th May 2014, 08:10 AM
Gotta love LEDs eh.
How did we live without them

Robo
8th May 2014, 04:47 PM
As far as this topic is concerned,we lived badly.

For someone who needs to wear glasses to read.
This is truly an upgrade all should do yesterday.
If you don't wear em you will also appreciate it anyway.

I work nights as some of you may of picked up on and when I got home this morning I turned drivers one on.
It is a huge improvement, poor light makes sorting the little things harder.
Cost well ebay panel like this are as cheap or cheaper than a std globe and last nearly forever and less power drain so the win is ten fold.

Alitis007
8th May 2014, 04:57 PM
I have larger ones in the interior light fitting but never bothered to stick em to any thing they just lay on lens but as this is right above dash area in good placement to readby I thought I'd try and get em higher in light fitting to allow lens to do its job of focusing light. I now have a light to read by that's easily 4 x better than before.
They still spread the light the difference from when they were stuck to unstuck is marginal and i can't even tell lol

As far as this topic is concerned,we lived badly. For someone who needs to wear glasses to read. This is truly an upgrade all should do yesterday. If you don't wear em you will also appreciate it anyway. I work nights as some of you may of picked up on and when I got home this morning I turned drivers one on. It is a huge improvement, poor light makes sorting the little things harder. Cost well ebay panel like this are as cheap or cheaper than a std globe and last nearly forever and less power drain so the win is ten fold.

When i have the 2 dome lights on its like i've turned on some stadium lights inside the wagon lol, if i need to turn on the map lights for any reason 1 will light up enough for both front occupants to see.

I rekon this upgrade/ mod should be close to the top or even one of the first mods you do to your trol for the simple fact of how easy it is not to mention how effective it is and cheap it is too!

Robo
8th May 2014, 05:33 PM
They still spread the light the difference from when they were stuck to unstuck is marginal and i can't even tell lol

When i have the 2 dome lights on its like i've turned on some stadium lights inside the wagon lol, if i need to turn on the map lights for any reason 1 will light up enough for both front occupants to see.

I rekon this upgrade/ mod should be close to the top or even one of the first mods you do to your trol for the simple fact of how easy it is not to mention how effective it is and cheap it is too!

Yes I totally agree with what your saying.

Main reason I started thread was "just" to highlight the obvious to those of us not in the know,
Thanks for confirming it works and works well.
cheers

clubbyr8
13th May 2014, 11:24 AM
Thanks Robo, I just ordered four of them, just waiting for the slow boat from China. Only had my troll a couple of days and my first drive was in the dark, couldn't believe how bad the interior lighting is (well to my eyes). Decided to put led lights in the dummy tail lights and install some decent reversing lights. Thanks again.... :)

rusty_nail
13th May 2014, 11:50 AM
hey guys, i little off topic, but do your nav lights come on when you open the door? my car has a silly roof dvd thingy and the lights dont hit the front seats. is this usually lit by the mid light or is there somthing wrong with my front lights?

Alitis007
13th May 2014, 02:08 PM
hey guys, i little off topic, but do your nav lights come on when you open the door? my car has a silly roof dvd thingy and the lights dont hit the front seats. is this usually lit by the mid light or is there somthing wrong with my front lights?
Nah Nic they're manually switched, only car i can think of that has them like a courtesy light and map light is the mid 90's hilux's

Smoothrun
15th July 2014, 03:29 PM
cost effective, quick and was my first mod, didnt even get to finish me stubbie.