PDA

View Full Version : Grenade???

Woods
28th June 2010, 09:52 PM
Ok, here comes the newbie question.

Why is a 3 litre a grenade?

Sorry for the basic question but ive seen forums where they talk about the 3lt been a grenade.

If its been talked about let me know where i can find it guys.

Just curious.

Maxhead
28th June 2010, 10:05 PM
It's usually the 4.2 owners being jealous of the explosive power of the mighty 3.0l

Maxhead
28th June 2010, 10:29 PM
Bite, bite.....damn, not even a nibble

YNOT
28th June 2010, 10:34 PM
There are heaps of threads on other forums on the subject (sounds like you found some of them), but the early ZD30 engines fitted to GU series 2 had reliabillity issues and developed a reputation as a grenade that could go off with out warning at any time. Series 3 onwards are more reliable, but it still pays to take a few precautions to make sure they stay reliable.

Most engine failures seemed to be caused by fouling of the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor with crank case ventilation vapours, causing the sensor to send incorrect air flow data to the engine computer. This results usually in over fueling, raising Exhaust Gas Temperatures (EGT's) to dangerous levels, which melts pistons and damages other engine components. Air flow into the cylinders can also be reduced (by Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) carbon combining with the PCV oil vapours building up in the inlet manifold. Reducing air flow to the cylinders makes the over fueling situation worse.

There is a series of modifications (engine saver mods) that can be done to eliminate the causes of these faults.
As Nisspat said, it's usually the 4.2 owners that call them grenades.

Tony

Mark
28th June 2010, 10:36 PM
Missed this one.

How dare you bloddy say that your just jealous that your little pocket rockets cant keep up with the big boys...haha

Nah our family has both so I'm on the fence mate, no arguing from this side.

Woods
29th June 2010, 12:22 PM
There are heaps of threads on other forums on the subject (sounds like you found some of them), but the early ZD30 engines fitted to GU series 2 had reliabillity issues and developed a reputation as a grenade that could go off with out warning at any time. Series 3 onwards are more reliable, but it still pays to take a few precautions to make sure they stay reliable.

Most engine failures seemed to be caused by fouling of the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor with crank case ventilation vapours, causing the sensor to send incorrect air flow data to the engine computer. This results usually in over fueling, raising Exhaust Gas Temperatures (EGT's) to dangerous levels, which melts pistons and damages other engine components. Air flow into the cylinders can also be reduced (by Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) carbon combining with the PCV oil vapours building up in the inlet manifold. Reducing air flow to the cylinders makes the over fueling situation worse.

There is a series of modifications (engine saver mods) that can be done to eliminate the causes of these faults.

Tony Thanks for the detailed response mate.

I'm starting to see a rivalry going on here. haha - great stuff!!

patch697
29th June 2010, 01:12 PM

Tony

Thats one well written reply Tone. Top marks & Top effort.

Cheers
Paul

patch697
29th June 2010, 01:15 PM
It's usually the 4.2 owners being jealous of the explosive power of the mighty 3.0l

Words like that will earn you an infraction Buddy Boy...........lol....

Cheers Mate
Paul

AB
29th June 2010, 01:58 PM
Words like that will earn you an infraction Buddy Boy...........lol....

Cheers Mate
Paul

Not when the Admin has a mighty 3.0l too big guy!!!

patch697
29th June 2010, 02:15 PM
Not when the Admin has a mighty 3.0l too big guy!!!

All hail the Mighty 3.0ltr....... Sorry Boss

Maxhead
29th June 2010, 02:32 PM
Looks like the 3.0 drivers will be safe on this forum...haha

patch697
29th June 2010, 02:49 PM
Looks like the 3.0 drivers will be safe on this forum...haha

I've always been one for bucking the system so I guess we will see about that..... Bloody environmentalist.....LOL

GQ4.2
29th June 2010, 03:34 PM
If I had the spare cash I would probably buy a 3ltr GU just for a daily and leave my GQ shorty for the weekend, and if the 3ltr decided to die I'd soon find a 5ltr engine to drop into it

patch697
29th June 2010, 03:45 PM
If I had the spare cash I would probably buy a 3ltr GU just for a daily and leave my GQ shorty for the weekend, and if the 3ltr decided to die I'd soon find a 5ltr engine to drop into it

All jokes aside my mates got one in an 06 Navara duel cab & the thing go's like a dog shot in the ass IMO & for a little donk thay are surprisingly grunty but that being said I wouldn't swap my 4.2 for one not for a second.

Cheers
Paul

AB
29th June 2010, 04:39 PM

That's what I'm trying to do ATM but the other way around.

Misses has taken the GU wagon because her VP commodore is ready to be the all new paddock bomb, wood carter and I'm saving up for a GQ toy.

patch697
29th June 2010, 05:12 PM
That's what I'm trying to do ATM but the other way around.

Misses has taken the GU wagon because her VP commodore is ready to be the all new paddock bomb, wood carter and I'm saving up for a GQ toy.

So you have seen the light.

GQ4.2
29th June 2010, 07:06 PM
I see you can buy a GU 3ltr for around 7-8 grand off ebay,

Simmo
29th June 2010, 07:09 PM
I see you can buy a GU 3ltr for around 7-8 grand off ebay,

Sounds cheap, why's that?

Is everyone out there generally aware of the issues or???

patch697
29th June 2010, 07:27 PM
Sounds cheap, why's that?

Is everyone out there generally aware of the issues or???

Yep with the only exception being there owners..... Until its to late......

Bang bang...... chitty chitty bang bang.... chitty chitty bang bang we love you

GQ4.2
29th June 2010, 09:45 PM
shitty shitty clang bang more like it, lol

bugger it second thoughts I mite just buy a cheap GQ and use it for parts to keep my shorty going

DX grunt
29th June 2010, 09:54 PM

Yeah right (LOL)

Signed Anonymous 4.2 TDi owner

poopatrol
29th June 2010, 10:00 PM
oooooooo, The pins are out KABOOM.......

patch697
30th June 2010, 12:35 PM
Yeah right (LOL)

Signed Anonymous 4.2 TDi owner

Lol.......... Don't bother wasting your finger tips you can't tell then....lol

They should be grateful Nissan released the 4.2 cos someone has to recover them & better it be another Patrol than a ToJo...lol

Cheers
Paul

Pete's GU3
23rd July 2010, 08:57 PM
Hey Andy , sorry if i repeated myself but im still trying to navigate my way around this site .. i too have a 3lt td 2003 series 3 and it's having some kind of power issues after a while of driving ,,where is a good mechanic in the eastern suburbs of Melb where i can take it where the mechanic knows what to look for straight away ..things like the MAF and the EGT and the EGR and so on ...im not that switched on with engines but if i cant get to be reliable i may have to ditch it !!!

AB
24th July 2010, 10:14 PM
Hi Peter, I have a guy in Bayswater I used named Terry.

His business name is "High Tech Dyno Tuning".

Been using him my whole life.

Very switched on with diesels, very honest, shows you exactly what went wrong, shows you the parts that blew, broke, whatever and highly recommend him.

He does charge a little more than the average mechanic but it gets down right and he is 100% honest!

Hi -Tech Dyno Tuning

(03) 9729 6613

Address
7 Barry St, Bayswater VIC 3153, Australia

Pete's GU3
29th July 2010, 03:01 PM
Hi Peter, I have a guy in Bayswater I used named Terry.

His business name is "High Tech Dyno Tuning".

Been using him my whole life.

Very switched on with diesels, very honest, shows you exactly what went wrong, shows you the parts that blew, broke, whatever and highly recommend him.

He does charge a little more than the average mechanic but it gets down right and he is 100% honest!

Hi -Tech Dyno Tuning

(03) 9729 6613

Address
7 Barry St, Bayswater VIC 3153, Australia

Thanks for the feedback Andy looks like Terry's got the touch , just what im looking for i'll be onto him for sure on the next service and see if we can find the fault .....
cheers

AB
29th July 2010, 03:12 PM
No problem Peter, I hope he can sort it out for you.

Snapperman
8th March 2012, 02:25 PM
yeah,i think my 4.8l is the king.