PDA

View Full Version : Camper/tent trailers which one?

outback
4th May 2014, 09:05 PM
Ok I have sent some time looking at camper trailers and tent trailers.
In the end it seems to come down to lots of points re their build and what can be added/included. Lots of options out there and it is not always easy to pick it right at camper shows.
Also the big issue is what is a real off rod vs. what is just a basic dirt road unit.

My current caravan has it limit, it is a full height van and won't go everywhere, height and weight restrictions.

Given some of the threads re camper vans/tent trailers, it would seems some makers are best avoided cf. cost vs. the bad end result.

I have looked at Jayco and though they seem OK it's weight issue. Beside why replace a caravan with another caravan, poptop or otherwise.
One thing against Jayco and their off roaders is wheel size, too small.

So has any one got some recommendations on a good off road tent trailer style van/poptop

I don’t need lots it's only me, myself and I. Me, I am more concerned about me, the other 2 can find some other accommodation at night.

Added:
Hitch options:
DO35
Trigg
Ball

Current van had DO35 hitch.

FNQGU
4th May 2014, 09:50 PM
You might want to say what sort of price range you are thinking about. Soo many options out there really.

For me, I want to keep the camping side pretty simple, and light weight, and am hoping to pick up either an old T-van without the big box on the front, or one of the new Patriot trailers. Both have different sleeping arrangements, but are awesome for suspension (off-road ability) and pretty light when not optioned up too much. I don't need a big kitchen, or monster fridge and three batteries to run everything though, so you may need to offer up a few more specs that you are looking for.

BigRAWesty
4th May 2014, 10:30 PM
I'm with Ben, you don't go camping and drag a house with you. If you want that go a motel lol..

So imo KISS.

Have you looked at hard floor or full tent trailers?
Imo a lot more off road capability than a van. And smaller so less drag and damage worries.

Drewboyaus
4th May 2014, 10:43 PM
How many times a year do you expect to use it? I had been considering buying one for a while but at the price just can't justify the spend for the number of times a year I'd use it. Even less justification when you can hire one for 200 bux for a long weekend. Most of my camping is done with a tent in the high country, rarely need the full camper setup (because I like to travel light) but I guess that's just me and my 2c Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

megatexture
5th May 2014, 12:10 AM
When looking at anything with smaller tyres see if you can do a axle under leaf swap to fit larger tyres, I did it with ours and now run 33's on our camper (customline) to match the gu.
Also don't be fooled into thinking you need all this independent suspension on it either, not many of them actually give you any more clearance than a solid axle.
Though I like hard floor campers most have little to no storage space inside them after the tent gets packed up compared to a soft floor with the tent on top the trailer.

Even if it cost $2k extra to get a gal trailer IMO it's well worth it also, and Don't be afraid to buy 2nd hand also there are some bargains out there.

BillsGU
5th May 2014, 08:16 AM
I often get asked this question as I have had caravans and campers for many years. It is a very individual decision as every body has different requirements. One piece of advice I give to everyone is once you have decided on what you want, hire one. IF it does not suit you you wont be stuck with something you don't really want. Most places that sell them will rent one to you and if you buy it they will deduct the rental cost from the price. Anyone that thinks any type of trailer will go seriously off road is kidding themselves. The damage you will eventually do to the trailer and your car is nor worth it. Also the stress on you and those with you can be a worry. Don't believe the Roothy videos you see. They have a mountain of support when they get in trouble and all the damage is paid for by the company. Just my two bobs worth.

threedogs
5th May 2014, 09:27 AM
Some ppl are asking Huge $$$ for a trailer and a tent,
$30,000 plus is ridiculas for a trailer and Tent IMO
Bob just updated to a Jayco and tows that everywhere

outback
5th May 2014, 03:41 PM
Price range not too fussed.
Amount of time out: As much as possible, no SWMBO so no restrictions.

The last time I looked at one and made an order, it was a special build about $12,000. Cancelled that part way through the build and bought one of their caravans. Could have had both but I was not too keen on parting with about $80,000 plus at the time.

In essence still considering a trailer but it may end up being a special build again.

As for the rent before you buy, I would agree a good move. That is something I intend to look at before I do anything on the order/purchase side. It's just a matter of seeing what is commercially around and doing a few tests.

The other option is a second 4x4, (brand unspecified), setting it up as a self contained, draws, on board tanks, awnings, (poss rooftop tent), etc and using that. Provides flexibility and no trailer to worry about.
That leaves my 3l Di patrol for normal work.
The only gripe with this idea is that all the decent Patrols for sale are on the eastern seaboard, NSW/QLD. SA seems stuck with the 3l engine and most are autos as well.

I am I no big hurry as this is not a cheep exercise.

FNQGU
5th May 2014, 04:54 PM
You could always outfit a Troopy or something? e.g. - this blokes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riMTgFHr7GY

or a podded up Patrol ute?

outback
5th May 2014, 05:28 PM
You could always outfit a Troopy or something? e.g. - this blokes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riMTgFHr7GY

Nice outfit and interesting some of the bits he included. Food for thought.

That is something along the lines i had in mind for a self-contained 4x4.

[QOUTE]or a podded up Patrol ute?[/QUOTE]
That was a semi option.

Still thinking on this. To some extent the camper trailer has limits and the single vehicle unit has better options.

Lisian_1275
5th May 2014, 06:56 PM
Track TVAN would be the pick from me, even though I used to work for a Kimberley Kamper dealer, I think the Tvan is on of the best if not the best in its class.

Thanks

Ian

2TROLLFAM
5th May 2014, 07:23 PM
Some ppl are asking Huge $$$ for a trailer and a tent,
$30,000 plus is ridiculas for a trailer and Tent IMO
Bob just updated to a Jayco and tows that everywhere

I paid $20K for my Armadillo Camper (12mths old) which was fully optioned BUT it suits what we want to do and I just love it!! Plus after looking at what seemed like hundreds of campers I was happy to pay the extra - supposedly an off-road trailer but I'll be honest in that it will never see anything too hard core. Handled the beach like a dream but is alittle heavy fully loaded (with 3 adults & 3 kids you tend to drag a lot of shit with you)

FNQGU
5th May 2014, 08:31 PM
I paid $20K for my Armadillo Camper (12mths old) which was fully optioned BUT it suits what we want to do and I just love it!! Plus after looking at what seemed like hundreds of campers I was happy to pay the extra - supposedly an off-road trailer but I'll be honest in that it will never see anything too hard core. Handled the beach like a dream but is alittle heavy fully loaded (with 3 adults & 3 kids you tend to drag a lot of shit with you)

3 adults huh? Interesting.... Someone on a winner?

2TROLLFAM
5th May 2014, 08:36 PM
3 adults huh? Interesting.... Someone on a winner?

LMFAO!!!' I wish!!!

But Noooo my 19yr old is 2inches taller than me and well, we have to refer to her as an "Adult" now ;)

FNQGU
5th May 2014, 09:00 PM
Track TVAN would be the pick from me, even though I used to work for a Kimberley Kamper dealer, I think the Tvan is one of the best if not the best in its class.

Thanks

Ian

Yeah, I agree Ian. T-van would suit me to a T....

My tendencies are towards a very capable off-road 'bed' with a bit of extra storage, which in reality is what the T-van without extras is. 95% of the time we cook off a fire when and where possible, or use a very simple gas or butane burner for a one off meal. The fridge is in the tow vehicle along with the food storage.

We have tried the roof topper tents and found they don't suit us, with the general complaint being that the truck isn't level or some other whinge about having to climb the ladder (somewhat intoxicated)....or climb down the ladder for a 3am piss in the bush, which seems to be my fault somehow as well... I tend to think that the roof topper is a bit of a fad that is top heavy and awkward to remove. Every mongrel seems to have one on their 4wd at the moment, but I wonder how much use they actually get and how long the concept will be around.

Personally, I do however want to stick with the concept of the simple camper that can be left in camp while taking off in the tow vehicle for some time, as opposed to having to pack up everything to go for a drive.

I also want the simple off-road 'bed' to be electrically independent from the tow vehicle when required, (ie. solar) which in my books means one battery and some lights and possibly a water pump if we are getting flash. I also want it to have a quick erect awning. Em Tasol. Simple stuff.

Some very good opinions all around in this thread so far. Suspension does NOT need to be expensive independent stuff as a good solid axle and well setup leaf springs are near bullet proof and can be just as 'soft' on your gear if done right. Same regarding usage - Cost v Benefit should not be underestimated.

Bigcol
5th May 2014, 09:06 PM
here is another idea for you

http://www.quickpitchcamper.com/
quite nice looking for something on the back of a ute.......

AB
5th May 2014, 09:16 PM
Ill do a jayco pop top conversion to off road chassis with many bells and whistles soon.

My brother just bought an old 84 jayco and is going to rebuild it.

My brother has been known to go over the top with his conversions so ill take some photos of the build for anyone on a budget and the know how.

MudRunnerTD
5th May 2014, 10:26 PM
I have a Tambo camper and its great. To be honest though if I had the budget I'd be in a Tvan in a heart beat, especially if its only you. No Brainer for me. Simple. Fast setup, high quality, compact, robust, proven, Bullet Proof.

outback
6th May 2014, 12:14 AM
I have seen a lot of T Vans on the road my way. Looked interesting. The try before buy was an inconvenient hitch, the only place here that rents then is 400+Km away, 800km round trip before one starts is not impressive, especially $ and fuel wise. Also about $3000 on your plastic before you go off for a week. (Current Adelaide web displayed price.)

At present I look at my van as a nice mobile base that allows me to get so far then go off for a day or 2, weather dependent there.
Having a van and a self contained 4x4 would give me a bigger range, days out, from the comfort of the van.
Roof top tents have issue, besides falling down the ladder for an urgent call at 3AM. I only include it as a possible.
A good swag/small tent and bedroll can be more versatile.

BillsGU
6th May 2014, 11:50 AM
Ill do a jayco pop top conversion to off road chassis with many bells and whistles soon.

My brother just bought an old 84 jayco and is going to rebuild it.

My brother has been known to go over the top with his conversions so ill take some photos of the build for anyone on a budget and the know how.

I did that 16 years ago and never looked back. The pop up camper cost me $3300 at the time and I strengthened the chassis and raised it, put solar panels on and 16" wheels. It has done all the outback tracks over the years and is still going strong. My kids use it now as I have become used to the comforts of an off road caravan. :frown:

AB
6th May 2014, 07:01 PM
I did that 16 years ago and never looked back. The pop up camper cost me $3300 at the time and I strengthened the chassis and raised it, put solar panels on and 16" wheels. It has done all the outback tracks over the years and is still going strong. My kids use it now as I have become used to the comforts of an off road caravan. :frown:

I bought a pop top sunwagon couple of years ago from a bloke who had done all of the work already for a steal.

It's the perfect off road camper for our young family and I love it!

Raised, strengthened chassis, independent suspension, decked out with new 3 way fridge, led lights and 12v sockets inside.

I can just fit my 31" desert duelers underneath and looking at fitting 33" with some cutting to match my Patrol.

I've done a lot of trips in this already and for $2600 it's a bargain!!!

Here's the thread about it below.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?10674-Ab-s-Sunwagon-Camper&highlight=sunwagon+camper

FNQGU
6th May 2014, 07:18 PM
Andy, did you ever do that kitchen mod you mentioned? ie. pulling it outside?

AB
6th May 2014, 07:24 PM
Andy, did you ever do that kitchen mod you mentioned? ie. pulling it outside?

I haven't mate but its on the list to do that's for sure. It's actually a reasonably easy mod to do with good runners but just haven't had a chance.

Having used it many times now I also want to take out one side of the u shape seating and replace with storage cupboards.

The only time we go inside is to change nappys, feeding, quick relax or sleep. So almost half of that space is the seating that is useless. Storage and easily accessible storage is far beneficial.

I'm helping my brother with his conversion soon so no doubt ill get inspired to do mine aswell.

FNQGU
6th May 2014, 07:29 PM
Good one! I agree with the kitchen outside for anything related to camping, otherwise it is simply 'caravaning'.... Who cooks inside anyway? Might as well cave in and do it in motels! Can't wait to see how you go with it. Jayco could learn a few things out of this mod. You could even have it 'inside & outside'....

outback
6th May 2014, 07:47 PM
Things like this seem very interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDHch7bJp8c

I am sure they are not the only brand around.
Also being able to detach the camper is interesting for work and storage.

FNQGU
6th May 2014, 08:40 PM
Is that a well blended Barry Bum-part Toupe he is wearing? LOL!

outback
6th May 2014, 11:30 PM
Is that a well blended Barry Bum-part Toupe he is wearing? LOL!

Is that experience showing? :biggrin:

outback
6th May 2014, 11:34 PM
Things like this seem very interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDHch7bJp8c

I am sure they are not the only brand around.
Also being able to detach the camper is interesting for work and storage.

Interesting though
Their max listed price is only $58k
and a tray top patrol about the same, (ok add about 10k), with added mods.

Sounding nice.

outback
7th May 2014, 01:18 AM
Ok I suppose some of this got me thinking and the sub basis of this thread.
http://www.hemamaps.com.au/en/Explore/Map-Patrol/The-Map-Patrol-Vehicle

OK its one of the HEMA Map vehicles and trailer..
No connection other than I use their GPS unit.

addition:
Only big question is the difference leaf vs coil springs.

Also the ute comes with 16 inch vs normal Patrol 17 inch rims.

Is it worth pushing for the 17" rims?
OK sounds like an entering issue.

But a 2'/50mm lift would add to its ability.

outback
9th May 2014, 07:41 PM
Going over this a bit and include the fax some places/tracks you can't take a camper trailer, seems the best options o look at things like tray slide ons.

So far the best i have come across are:
Wedgetail
Travelander
Trayon

The query i have is that Nissan have 2 types of tray top:
front coil rear leaf
front and back coil

So which is the best suspension set up. Note most slideons are about 680 -700 kgs.

Also looking at possibly towing a van with ATN 2500 kgs. case of tow to a place drop off and return several days later. this though may become a redundant exercise.

Also with new Nissan cab chassis units does Nissan provide the tray or is that a 3rd party option?

FNQGU
9th May 2014, 08:06 PM
Have a look at Candy Canvas too if you are thinking about a tray back.

Either suspension system is fine, as long as it is rated for the load. If you are after the best ride, consider a full Airbag setup too. It would allow you the luxury of levelling your camper when you set up, as an added bonus to the excellent on-road handling.

outback
9th May 2014, 11:31 PM
Sort of got the impression load wise the combination of front coil rear leaf was better.
I had considered the airbag addition.

Yes looked at Candy Canvas. At least they are closer than the others :D
I have looked at others but discounted them for one reason or the other. layout being one, also I don't want too much over cab height.

idiot 1
19th June 2014, 02:12 PM
you can have something like this for$5000

Warwick89
19th June 2014, 09:31 PM
If I had the money I'd be going with one of the Conqueror campers without a doubt.

outback
21st June 2014, 01:07 PM
you can have something like this for$5000

Some at that price are called "off road" but end up being an "on the side of the road" unfortunately.

In the long run as many tracks don't allow trailers it seems a better move to consider either a deliberate mod of a wagon or go for a slide on with a tray top vehicle.

At present the Nissan tray tops are suck with their 3l CRD vs Toyota with their 70Series Tough options for a Nissan person..