PDA

View Full Version : Hand Throttle (Cable Throttle) in Patrol - NOT a Cruise Control

Bigrig
9th February 2011, 09:35 PM
Howdy

have seen a couple of posts here and there, and got I've gotten into debate before regarding this topic. Not wishing to cause argument, but I'd like to hear others thoughts on this.

The hand throttle (not sure of the proper name for it - it's the knob you can pull out, down to the right of the steering wheel that is attached to the accelerator cable) as I understand it, and with every bit of logic I can muster regarding reasons why you shouldn't use this way, isn't meant to be locked in whilst driving and be used as a Cruise Control. It is no doubt dangerous ... hit the brakes with that locked on and your stopping distance has just increased substantially, as 99.99999999% of people haven't got the cat like reflexes to switch it off right at the moment a small kid, or an animal, or another car, etc scoots out in front of them ... it just keeps the power up to the wheels whilst you are trying to stop them with the brakes ...

Not sure if there is reference to it in the manual (I will look though) but I recall another member on another forum stating the manual says specifically NOT to use this whilst any 'driving gear' is engaged. I have rarely (if ever) used it, but could imagine people use it to idle the car up when it is cold, and in certain 4WD circumstances where you want to keep the idle up a little (like in water holes etc so you don't snuff the engine if you happen to get stuck) - other than that, I would struggle to know why it's even there (my rig starts perfectly without it even when cold - the sensors, ECU, etc do the work idling it up, and it drops back to 650rpm once it starts warming up)

Not a topic that my opinion will be swayed on I'm afraid, but obviously welcome others thoughts and opinions on it's use in this fashion.

Over to you!!!

Woof
9th February 2011, 09:45 PM
Never used mine but from what I understand you only use it when going up steep rocky hills to keep the revs constant instead of using the accelerator which your foot will bounce up and down on causing the revs to change............but hell other than that I've got no idea,

NissanGQ4.2
9th February 2011, 10:12 PM
refer 2 this forum thread

patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gq-y60-ford-maverick-11/adjusting-hand-throttle-55128/

I would agree with Wayne on this... Rock climbs / Hill climbs where u want 2 keep the revs constant, Never would use it on the road

NOTE: DIRECT LINKS HAVE BEEN REMOVED DUE TO PATROL4X4's VIRUS PROBLEMS, ENTERING THE ABOVE LINK INTO YOUR BROWSER YOU DO AT YOUR OWN RISK

KIND REGARDS

FORUM MANAGEMENT

NissanGQ4.2
9th February 2011, 10:19 PM
Read this on that other 4x4 something forum as well, which makes the only sense to why it is there

The hand throttle was designed for when running a PTO Winch (good with an electric as well), to keep the revs up.

Bigrig
9th February 2011, 10:31 PM
refer 2 this forum thread

I would agree with Wayne on this... Rock climbs / Hill climbs where u want 2 keep the revs constant, Never would use it on the road

That was me as you can tell, many moons ago on the same topic!! Another bloke on the forum picked the sh!t out of me for calling it a choke, and because I'm a mouth, I argued the point and then yet another bloke sent me the details via PM regarding the manual, and I ended up posting it as he didn't want to cause a stir - haven't read it myself as such, but that particular thread was the beginning of the end for my involvement in that site ...

The difference in response on many of the posts for the same topic highlights the differences between this one and it (painting with a broad brush I know) - the discussion here is open and flowing, as opposed to one upmanship and a place to demonstrate your greater understanding of all things Patrol than anybody else ...

NissanGQ4.2
9th February 2011, 10:35 PM
The difference in response on many of the posts for the same topic highlights the differences between this one and it

hence why i have never joined it, still have a read if i am searching on somethin in particular and it pops up in the search, but that's about it, will never join it thats 4 sure

Bigrig
9th February 2011, 10:38 PM
hence why i have never joined it, still have a read if i am searching on somethin in particular and it pops up in the search, but that's about it, will never join it thats 4 sure

Yep - I understand there is certain forums for certain people, and no doubt there is good info on there, but that is a perfect example of how something simple turns to a sh!t fight real quick - there is plenty more threads on there that highlight the same thing let me tell you!!

Woof
9th February 2011, 10:39 PM
Scotty, I have no idea about Patroly stuff I just pass on what I have learn't as with the rest of us.
As you and others have realised there is no room for "one upmanship" on this forum mate, that what makes it the way it is.
Thanks heaps for your reply mate.http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/

the evil twin
10th February 2011, 02:12 AM
Read this on that other 4x4 something forum as well, which makes the only sense to why it is there

The hand throttle was designed for when running a PTO Winch (good with an electric as well), to keep the revs up.

Thats correct (the PTO bit). Without giving away my age too much it is a hang over from the good old days when a PTO was common and used for lots of various devices like winches, hyd pumps etc etc. Exactly the same as the Farm Tractor.

Many a Farmer has been killed or injured by running over himself on the Farm by setting the hand throttle and walking alongside throwing feed off a trailer or tray

The other feature that is now disappering which was also necessary for a PTO Operation was the Neutral between 4H and 4L because you needed the gears to drive the PTO so you had to select N on the transfer case, engage the PTO and then used the gears/throttle to set the RPM of the PTO shaft.

Only temporary Australians would even contemplate the use of Hand throttles as CC

gec
10th February 2011, 02:22 AM
Yep gotta agree, it is not cruise control, i fitted cruise control as cruise control and it works as it should, I even fitted a switch for the clutch

Bigrig
10th February 2011, 09:24 AM
Glad I'm not on my own here ... thanks for the responses all ...

rkinsey
10th February 2011, 11:52 PM
OK boys. This is straight from the User Manual... Yep that book like thing you are supposed to read to find out how things work before you dive right in an make a complete A****SS of yourself. (but hey..wheres the fun in that?)

Now this is coming out of the user Manual that covers the GQ series (Doesnt say what year ranges though)

The knob you are refering to Scott is the "Idling control knob"

It is used when starting the vehicle or alternativley "The engine can be maintained at the desired speed without depressing the accelerator pedal. Example - When using mechanical type winch. Avoid driving the vehicle with the throttle/idling control knob pulled out"

Starting the RD28:

Normal starting conditions:
1. Apply the parking brake
2. Move the gearshift leaver to "N" and depress the clutch pedal to the floor while cranking the engine.

Cold starting
1. Turn the idling control knob fully clockwise.
2. Turn the ignition key to "ON" and wait for the glow indicator light to go out.
3. Immediately after the glow indicator light goes out, fully depress the accelerator pedal and crank the engine by turning the ignition key to "START". Release the key and the accelerator pedal when the engine starts.
4. Adjust the idling control knob until the engine runs smoothly.
5. After the engine warms up, return the idling control knob to its original position.

* Proper use of the idling control knob will reduce startup smoke.
* Do not drive the vehicle with the idling control knob pulled out.

So there you go. Directly from the User Manual from the manufacturer.

Cheers,

Rob

Finly Owner
10th February 2011, 11:58 PM
nice one Rob.

YNOT
11th February 2011, 06:53 AM
Interesting that it says to use full throttle when starting, may be a cold climate thing. I never use the throttle when starting a diesel.

Tony

Bob
11th February 2011, 08:36 AM
When I had a GQ I only ever used the Hand Throttle to get the Revs to about 1000 so that my Shower system worked perfectly. Never used it in any other circumstance.

Bigrig
11th February 2011, 10:15 AM
OK boys. This is straight from the User Manual... Yep that book like thing you are supposed to read to find out how things work before you dive right in an make a complete A****SS of yourself. (but hey..wheres the fun in that?)

Now this is coming out of the user Manual that covers the GQ series (Doesnt say what year ranges though)

The knob you are refering to Scott is the "Idling control knob"

It is used when starting the vehicle or alternativley "The engine can be maintained at the desired speed without depressing the accelerator pedal. Example - When using mechanical type winch. Avoid driving the vehicle with the throttle/idling control knob pulled out"

Starting the RD28:

2. Move the gearshift leaver to "N" and depress the clutch pedal to the floor while cranking the engine.

Cold starting
2. Turn the ignition key to "ON" and wait for the glow indicator light to go out.
3. Immediately after the glow indicator light goes out, fully depress the accelerator pedal and crank the engine by turning the ignition key to "START". Release the key and the accelerator pedal when the engine starts.
5. After the engine warms up, return the idling control knob to its original position.

Cheers,

Rob

Good man!!!!!

the evil twin
11th February 2011, 11:55 AM
Starting the RD28:

Cold starting

Cheers,

Rob

Interesting that it says to use full throttle when starting, may be a cold climate thing. I never use the throttle when starting a diesel.

Tony

Must be a 2.8 thing... :p

patch697
11th February 2011, 12:25 PM
Thats correct (the PTO bit). Without giving away my age too much it is a hang over from the good old days when a PTO was common and used for lots of various devices like winches, hyd pumps etc etc. Exactly the same as the Farm Tractor.

Many a Farmer has been killed or injured by running over himself on the Farm by setting the hand throttle and walking alongside throwing feed off a trailer or tray

The other feature that is now disappering which was also necessary for a PTO Operation was the Neutral between 4H and 4L because you needed the gears to drive the PTO so you had to select N on the transfer case, engage the PTO and then used the gears/throttle to set the RPM of the PTO shaft.

Only temporary Australians would even contemplate the use of Hand throttles as CC

Thanks ET, I love learning about this sort of thing. Bloody interesting.

Col.T
11th February 2011, 07:34 PM
What peevs the hell out of me is the fact that the device is not fitted on my 08 model.
Used it for about 15 years on the GQ 4.2d and found that when you needed it ( rough as guts tracking) it was brilliant.
Are we supposed to be morons now or are Mr. Nissan's late model diesels only supposed to be toys I wonder?
Anyone retro fitted the gear?
Col

Mrowka
12th February 2011, 05:31 AM
Mr. Nissan probably got tired by lawsuits by "temporary Australians" and their descendants who brought suit after they crashed their Nissans from using the hand throttle as a sort of boganite cruise control.

YNOT
12th February 2011, 08:29 AM
I don't think it would have been just the Australians they were worried about, but you are probably on the right track. The Flying Badger sums it up well in his signiture - A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools - Douglas Adams.
Another reason for deleting the hand throttle is dollars. When you make 100,000 cars saving even a few cents per car adds up to a big saving, and with hand throttle being irrelevant to 99% of vehicle owners it was an easy target for deletion.

As long as you can find a suitable mounting location for the hand throttle knob - it needs to have a clear area behind it for the cable, I don't see any reason why you couldn't adapt a GQ hand throttle to fit a GU.

Tony

Col.T
12th February 2011, 09:09 PM
I don't think it would have been just the Australians they were worried about, but you are probably on the right track. The Flying Badger sums it up well in his signiture - A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools - Douglas Adams.
Tony
Trouble is Tony, when people ignore Mr. Adams they on rare occasions succeed, which in turn unnaturally takes Mr. Darwin out of the loop which then means natural selection cannot work and the human race as a whole does not move forward. Not only that but I end up with less of a car.
Oh well.
Haven't had a look yet but from memory, I think a suitable cable alignment may prove difficult.
Thanks for the thought
Col

growler2058
20th February 2011, 07:40 PM
I use mine occasionally on a really cold morning, but I have seen as Dogman states it being used for consistent revs up steep bouncy type slopes. My old Uncle used to use his out on the farm, keepin the ol Tojo movin as he jumped out to pick up lambs.

I have been on a couple of other forums too, now i have been around a while and am reasonably competent in a mechanical sense, but those others do try to belittle myself and others and aren't really open to suggestions. I've only been here a day but so far this forum does have a "friendly" feel about it (without getting all sissy lala) hahaha

Silver
23rd February 2011, 02:38 AM
Perhaps don't be completely dismissive of the handthrottle as cruise control.

I never use mine as such except in low low creeping over rocks, usually in a dried up creek bed. Not that there are too many of those around these days. The reason I won't use it on the highway is that I'm happy to use my right foot and I don't want to have to deal with a lot of revs if I put my foot on the clutch.

On the other hand, my mate with a TD42 gq/y60 often uses his when travelling long flat roads out West to give the right foot a rest. Not for me, but works for him, and I'm happy to be a passenger while he does it in those circumstances.

Clunk
23rd February 2011, 08:00 PM
Well I must say, I always thought it was just a choke, would never have comtemplated using it as a driving aid. Even the little symbol on it looks like a choke symbol that was used in the good old days of manual chokes for cold starting in the UK.

Silver
23rd February 2011, 09:16 PM
Well I must say, I always thought it was just a choke, would never have comtemplated using it as a driving aid. Even the little symbol on it looks like a choke symbol that was used in the good old days of manual chokes for cold starting in the UK.

Maybe yours is a choke - if I could work out a straightforward way to replace the auto choke on my petrol Mav with a manual choke, I'd be there like a shot

MS29431
8th March 2011, 05:33 PM
I use the hand throttle in my old MQ on cold startups and when attempting creek/river crossings to keep the revs constant and also on steep hillclimbs i've used mine more times than i can remember and its gotten to the stage were the locking mechanism in the cable is'nt the best and probably could do with replacing.. As for people using them for cruise control out on the road it is a realy bad idea the potential for an accident far outweigh's its use as cruise control..
Also if you want to retro a hand throttle into a new rig it's fairly easy as ive recently done one to my fathers hilux just be sure to have a decent amount of space for were the cable will run and Make sure that were the knob is going to live it has a solid mounting point EG: a place on the dash that has some metal behind it to tighten the end of the cable to so you can pull firmly on it and it wont break

DX grunt
9th March 2011, 11:10 AM
If in doubt, read the owner's manual. It usually helps. lol

Take care out there.

Ross
DX grunt

rkinsey
9th March 2011, 11:49 AM
I have already posted the page directly from the user manual on a GQ series into this thread that describes how to use the Idle Control Knob. (Page 2)

trollman
12th March 2011, 11:27 PM
Used the hand throttle a couple times. low range, first gear when bogged on the beach. You can get out and push; and then jump back in the car. Works a treat.

YNOT
5th April 2011, 07:23 PM
My GU 2.8 has fly by wire rubbish, could one be adapted, i am reasonable mechanically minded but cant see if this would work, please correct me if I am wrong.
Hate the FBW rubbish so sensitive going over rough ground i kangaroo a lot and have to clutch it and start again

In the rough stuff that has your foot bouncing around on the accelerator you could try putting some foam under the pedal (you may need to try a few different densities of foam) to act as a shock absorber.
I just push my foot sideways against the kick panel to dampen my foot movement.

Tony

AB
5th April 2011, 07:59 PM
In the rough stuff that has your foot bouncing around on the accelerator you could try putting some foam under the pedal (you may need to try a few different densities of foam) to act as a shock absorber.
I just push my foot sideways against the kick panel to dampen my foot movement.

Tony

Thats what I do too Tony and it works a treat....You must have Giraffe legs and flippers like me...lol...It does keep a steady pedal though.

growler2058
5th April 2011, 08:08 PM
"Pedal to the metal " like smokey and the bandit!! that holds it steady hahhahahahahaahaha

AB
5th April 2011, 08:14 PM
I actually spoke to an old friend the other day who had the hand throttle on his Hilux.

They were doing a trip up to Fraser Island and he was using it as cruise control on the freeway.

Long story short, there was a bend coming up and he tried to wine the throttle off but it just kept spinning and spinning...Sure enough the nut behind the panel had come loose which meant it was stuck on.

He yelled out to his mates on the UHF and asked what to do and they said cut the engine which he did...But....The steering lock came on after he cut the engine all the way and ran off the road...

No one was hurt but could have been 10 times worse and possible death.

yort
3rd August 2011, 09:41 AM
I use mine all the time for off road low range stuff, but on rare occasion, have used it on long flat straits(with out any other vehicles in sight) to get some blood flow back into my foot, but only for a few seconds at a time, and only when I've got clear sight for 1km+ including the edges of the road (so skippy doesn't do a runner). although it's not something I would recommend any one do. I have 20+ years behind the wheel and take a measured risk when doing it.

Bigrig
3rd August 2011, 09:58 AM
I couldn't use it for hills or anything now I have reduction gears - I couldn't pull it up under braking if I had even 1000 rpm going to the wheels - it's like stopping a Mack truck just on normal idle, so it's like it doesn't even exist for me any more! I simply don't have a need to use it ...

yort
3rd August 2011, 11:27 AM
ah yes, reduction gears, a mixed blessing

growler2058
3rd August 2011, 06:33 PM
I couldn't use it for hills or anything now I have reduction gears - I couldn't pull it up under braking if I had even 1000 rpm going to the wheels - it's like stopping a Mack truck just on normal idle, so it's like it doesn't even exist for me any more! I simply don't have a need to use it ...

There ya go ya learn somethin new every day
I thought the throttle control was only on the diesel

Bob
3rd August 2011, 07:19 PM
I would not use this as a Cruise Control under any circumstances.
Extremely Dangerous .

Phil21
14th August 2011, 04:19 PM
I have to admit i did wonder about the hand throttle, but the knob's broke on mine so doubt i'll use it, but clearly usefull for winching.

timbar
14th August 2011, 05:05 PM
the only time i use mine is when i am jumpstarting other vehicles and on a steep climb to keep revs constant other than that may be on a long trip for a short period to give the foot a rest but would never use it as a cruise control because of obvious reasons already stated plus it would cause to use more fuel than is requred especially on a down hill

HippoNZ
14th August 2011, 07:05 PM
I always use mine for the first start of the day, otherwise the truck runs rough like a dog flicking the water of its back. Have also used it on rough stuff but never on the road, I prefer absolute control when I'm driving. Always called it a choke too. Just started snowing tonight so guna need it in the morning before work lol

adrian
20th August 2011, 09:14 AM
Originally coming from a cold country, I've always thought this was only really for use when you're starting a cold engine on a cold day. This brings back memories of trying to start 35 year old tractors in -15. From getting in the cab to driving anywhere could take us anywhere up to an hour, hence the hand throttle

Mrowka
24th August 2011, 03:42 AM
That is what I use mine for.