PDA

View Full Version : Holiday disaster

kevin07
3rd May 2014, 05:49 AM
this is an old one so here we go 5 week trip planned to go down ocean rd through to sth aus and home through the riverina. so the big day has arrived hooked up the camper all packed and checked and off we go 27/12/2012 first stop couple of nights at eden,all good sight seeing all the usual stuff nice place. so 2 nights there and off we go didn't have anything booked for 2 nights so we got to Bairnsdale vic for 2 nights before hitting the ocean rd. so Bairnsdale im winding up the camper got it to the last turn and bang the cable snapped roof comes falling down canvas hanging out everywhere wife and I are standing there going wtf. after some help from the local caravan repairer our only option head home being close to new year no one wanted to look at it so drive home all night and I can tell you that eden to Bairnsdale and back to Sydney is 1119klms and as comfortable as my troll is that was pushing it my 5 year old had dimples in her body from the child seat. so home on the 30th rang the local bus and coach company I do a bit of work for as they have a shed for me to put the camper in. lift the roof and after new years get a new cable made from barnes caravan repairs. let me say a big thankyou to them for the help guys. 2 days later in the arvo after my son finished work here we go again revised trip though, spent the night at Glenrowan beside the rail line jeez that was loud. so got to our next stop ocean rd didn't think after we cancelled our bookings that couldn't get anywhere to stay so we had cancelled lost our deposit and couldn't stay out next valid stop we could get was mt gambier ok holiday to sth oz cancelled. went to bacchus marsh for the night got on the phone all we could get at the time was 3 weeks in Ulladulla then 5 days at shoalhaven heads. 892 ks to Ulladulla. pretty uneventful until Tuesday really hot day im sure you will remember the day as we go on, had to take my son homes.so off to Bomaderry for the train, on the way back the rd is closed for the bushfires so im swearin and carrying on so we spent the night on the side of the road got back to the wet van about 1pm as it had rained and we left the van open cause of the heat. dry things out, following Monday we go down to see my old boss bawley point vineyard that he bought for retirement nice day with the old fella got back there had been a gust of wind and the awning was broken ripped and wrapped around the camper. so im over it now called shoalhaven caravan park explained and even got my money back left to go home next morning after securing the mangled awning. ah home what a disaster went in and sat down we had just done 5000 klms and spent 3 weeks at Ulladulla a couple of hundred ks from home. so you think my crap holiday is over my torment has finished wrong go outside lift the camper and bang this time the cable the front corner cable breaks and I had a tear to my eye saying what have I done whilst looking to the sky, I had to lift this thing manually with a few friends and use wood to hold up the front cnr to get everything out. now the holiday is over.ps ill add about the repairs soon kev, and ab how does that compare

AB
3rd May 2014, 07:34 AM
this is an old one so here we go 5 week trip planned to go down ocean rd through to sth aus and home through the riverina. so the big day has arrived hooked up the camper all packed and checked and off we go 27/12/2012 first stop couple of nights at eden,all good sight seeing all the usual stuff nice place. so 2 nights there and off we go didn't have anything booked for 2 nights so we got to Bairnsdale vic for 2 nights before hitting the ocean rd. so Bairnsdale im winding up the camper got it to the last turn and bang the cable snapped roof comes falling down canvas hanging out everywhere wife and I are standing there going wtf. after some help from the local caravan repairer our only option head home being close to new year no one wanted to look at it so drive home all night and I can tell you that eden to Bairnsdale and back to Sydney is 1119klms and as comfortable as my troll is that was pushing it my 5 year old had dimples in her body from the child seat. so home on the 30th rang the local bus and coach company I do a bit of work for as they have a shed for me to put the camper in. lift the roof and after new years get a new cable made from barnes caravan repairs. let me say a big thankyou to them for the help guys. 2 days later in the arvo after my son finished work here we go again revised trip though, spent the night at Glenrowan beside the rail line jeez that was loud. so got to our next stop ocean rd didn't think after we cancelled our bookings that couldn't get anywhere to stay so we had cancelled lost our deposit and couldn't stay out next valid stop we could get was mt gambier ok holiday to sth oz cancelled. went to bacchus marsh for the night got on the phone all we could get at the time was 3 weeks in Ulladulla then 5 days at shoalhaven heads. 892 ks to Ulladulla. pretty uneventful until Tuesday really hot day im sure you will remember the day as we go on, had to take my son homes.so off to Bomaderry for the train, on the way back the rd is closed for the bushfires so im swearin and carrying on so we spent the night got back to the wet van about 1pm as it had rained and we left the van open cause of the heat. dry things out, following Monday we go down to see my old boss bawley point vineyard that he bought for retirement nice day with the old fella got back there had been a gust of wind and the awning was broken ripped and wrapped around the camper. so im over it now called shoalhaven caravan park explained and even got my money back left to go home next morning after securing the mangled awning. ah home what a disaster went in and sat down we had just done 5000 klms and spent 3 weeks at Ulladulla a couple of hundred ks from home. so you think my crap holiday is over my torment has finished wrong go outside lift the camper and bang this time the cable the front corner cable breaks and I had a tear to my eye saying what have I done whilst looking to the sky, I had to lift this thing manually with a few friends and use wood to hold up the front cnr to get everything out. now the holiday is over.ps ill add about the repairs soon kev, and ab how does that compare

I know your pain Kev...lol

I would of had a flip out when it snapped again back at home.

kevin07
3rd May 2014, 08:25 AM
ab rest assured I cracked hard I was so angry ill get to how I reacted when I tell you about the repairs as it was at the time5 months out of warranty

Bloodyaussie
3rd May 2014, 08:43 AM
Mate I had to copy and paste your write up with spacers in between as it was to hard to read...... so below is your story, thanks for sharing.

this is an old one so here we go 5 week trip planned to go down ocean rd through to sth aus and home through the riverina.
so the big day has arrived hooked up the camper all packed and checked and off we go 27/12/2012 first stop couple of nights at eden,all good sight seeing all the usual stuff nice place.

so 2 nights there and off we go
didn't have anything booked for 2 nights so we got to Bairnsdale vic for 2 nights before hitting the ocean rd.

so Bairnsdale im winding up the camper got it to the last turn and bang the cable snapped roof comes falling down canvas hanging out everywhere wife and I are standing there going wtf. after some help from the local caravan repairer our only option head home being close to new year no one wanted to look at it so drive home all night and I can tell you that eden to Bairnsdale and back to Sydney is 1119klms and as comfortable as my troll is that was pushing it my 5 year old had dimples in her body from the child seat.

so home on the 30th rang the local bus and coach company I do a bit of work for as they have a shed for me to put the camper in. lift the roof and after new years get a new cable made from barnes caravan repairs.
let me say a big thankyou to them for the help guys.

2 days later in the arvo after my son finished work here we go again revised trip though, spent the night at Glenrowan beside the rail line jeez that was loud. so got to our next stop ocean rd didn't think after we cancelled our bookings that couldn't get anywhere to stay so we had cancelled lost our deposit and couldn't stay out next valid stop we could get was mt gambier ok holiday to sth oz cancelled. went to bacchus marsh for the night got on the phone all we could get at the time was 3 weeks in Ulladulla then 5 days at shoalhaven heads.

892 ks to Ulladulla. pretty uneventful until Tuesday really hot day im sure you will remember the day as we go on, had to take my son homes.so off to Bomaderry for the train, on the way back the rd is closed for the bushfires so im swearin and carrying on so we spent the night on the side of the road got back to the wet van about 1pm as it had rained and we left the van open cause of the heat.
dry things out, following Monday we go down to see my old boss bawley point vineyard that he bought for retirement nice day with the old fella got back there had been a gust of wind and the awning was broken ripped and wrapped around the camper.

so im over it now called shoalhaven caravan park explained and even got my money back left to go home next morning after securing the mangled awning. ah home what a disaster went in and sat down we had just done 5000 klms and spent 3 weeks at Ulladulla a couple of hundred ks from home.

so you think my crap holiday is over my torment has finished wrong go outside lift the camper and bang this time the cable the front corner cable breaks and I had a tear to my eye saying what have I done whilst looking to the sky, I had to lift this thing manually with a few friends and use wood to hold up the front cnr to get everything out.
now the holiday is over.

ps ill add about the repairs soon kev, and ab how does that compare

kevin07
3rd May 2014, 04:46 PM
don't you like the way I write. could you be my secretary please.

Bloodyaussie
3rd May 2014, 04:51 PM
No but for those of us that dont wear our glasses it is bloody hard to read...

You'll get there in the end young fella!!!!! ha ha ha!!!!!!

BigRAWesty
3rd May 2014, 06:56 PM
Geeze mate water a pain.
I do remember reading about someone else who had the cables break in the camper.
Maybe look at modding the cable to slightly bigger? So maybe a different style to reduce risk of breakage again..
Can you lube the cable??

growler2058
3rd May 2014, 09:14 PM
Bugger, I woulda lost my sh1t also :)

Bloodyaussie
3rd May 2014, 10:10 PM
Yeah it was that bloke who was on his way down to Victoria and turned around and went home to fix it (think he lived on the NSW coast)....... I would have lost it big time.

mudski
3rd May 2014, 10:46 PM
this is an old one so here we go 5 week trip planned to go down ocean rd through to sth aus and home through the riverina. So the big day has arrived hooked up the camper all packed and checked and off we go 27/12/2012 first stop couple of nights at eden,all good sight seeing all the usual stuff nice place. So 2 nights there and off we go didn't have anything booked for 2 nights so we got to bairnsdale vic for 2 nights before hitting the ocean rd. So bairnsdale im winding up the camper got it to the last turn and bang the cable snapped roof comes falling down canvas hanging out everywhere wife and i are standing there going wtf. After some help from the local caravan repairer our only option head home being close to new year no one wanted to look at it so drive home all night and i can tell you that eden to bairnsdale and back to sydney is 1119klms and as comfortable as my troll is that was pushing it my 5 year old had dimples in her body from the child seat. So home on the 30th rang the local bus and coach company i do a bit of work for as they have a shed for me to put the camper in. Lift the roof and after new years get a new cable made from barnes caravan repairs. Let me say a big thankyou to them for the help guys. 2 days later in the arvo after my son finished work here we go again revised trip though, spent the night at glenrowan beside the rail line jeez that was loud. So got to our next stop ocean rd didn't think after we cancelled our bookings that couldn't get anywhere to stay so we had cancelled lost our deposit and couldn't stay out next valid stop we could get was mt gambier ok holiday to sth oz cancelled. Went to bacchus marsh for the night got on the phone all we could get at the time was 3 weeks in ulladulla then 5 days at shoalhaven heads. 892 ks to ulladulla. Pretty uneventful until tuesday really hot day im sure you will remember the day as we go on, had to take my son homes.so off to bomaderry for the train, on the way back the rd is closed for the bushfires so im swearin and carrying on so we spent the night on the side of the road got back to the wet van about 1pm as it had rained and we left the van open cause of the heat. Dry things out, following monday we go down to see my old boss bawley point vineyard that he bought for retirement nice day with the old fella got back there had been a gust of wind and the awning was broken ripped and wrapped around the camper. So im over it now called shoalhaven caravan park explained and even got my money back left to go home next morning after securing the mangled awning. Ah home what a disaster went in and sat down we had just done 5000 klms and spent 3 weeks at ulladulla a couple of hundred ks from home. So you think my crap holiday is over my torment has finished wrong go outside lift the camper and bang this time the cable the front corner cable breaks and i had a tear to my eye saying what have i done whilst looking to the sky, i had to lift this thing manually with a few friends and use wood to hold up the front cnr to get everything out. Now the holiday is over.ps ill add about the repairs soon kev, and ab how does that compare

tldr. ........

kevin07
3rd May 2014, 10:52 PM
No but for those of us that dont wear our glasses it is bloody hard to read...

You'll get there in the end young fella!!!!! ha ha ha!!!!!!

I just couldn't get my head around that punctuation stuff growing up. nfi

kevin07
3rd May 2014, 10:54 PM
Geeze mate water a pain.
I do remember reading about someone else who had the cables break in the camper.
Maybe look at modding the cable to slightly bigger? So maybe a different style to reduce risk of breakage again..
Can you lube the cable??

yeh kallen I will get to the repair job and why it happened in the first place

BigRAWesty
4th May 2014, 08:37 AM
yeh kallen I will get to the repair job and why it happened in the first place

I think from memory the cable had jumped from one of the pullies and was rubbing on the shaft..

Anyway do up a thread with what you find as many use a pop top style van and it can happen to anyone..

NP99
7th July 2014, 05:10 PM
Any comment...!!!

Just one word......spam

KiwiAngler
7th July 2014, 05:55 PM
Bugger

wished I had scrolled down all the replies before reading the first one and then seeing your version