PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Phone Antenna

Tonks
2nd May 2014, 09:32 AM
Does anyone know if you can get an antenna for the bullbar to connect to your mobile phone for better reception.

I'm sure you could for the older phones but not sure with these smart phones we all have now.

Cheers Tonks.

TPC
2nd May 2014, 09:40 AM
What type of phone do you have?
Some smart phones have cradles available to connect to external antennas even though they don't have a antenna connector on the phone, they work on induction.
They are not as effective as the old types but will still improve reception.

Here is one for an Iphone http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/221242538236?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=107

threedogs
2nd May 2014, 09:42 AM
yes I have seen them and that was a while ago as you suggest.
I'll make a call and see what they say.
They were for in car kits, where your phone had a cradle

jack
2nd May 2014, 10:01 AM
Hi Tonks,

I've seen a couple that had to drill a hole through the back cover to get to the antenna port, sorry can't recall what phone models but they were fairly new. If you go along this line I recommend you check that a patch cable is available. I've got a Samsung DUOS with two sim cards, it has an antenna port under the cover but I can't find a patch cable to fit.

kkperth
2nd May 2014, 10:26 AM
I am not sure of the rules on this forum about recommending businesses but I have had some dealings with www.telcoantennas.com.au and they were great. They have all sorts of info about patch cables, phone docks and antennas in the 'Vehicles Products' section.

P.S. I have no affiliation with them.

TPC
2nd May 2014, 10:29 AM
I am not sure of the rules on this forum about recommending businesses but I have had some dealings with www.telcoantennas.com.au (http://www.telcoantennas.com.au) and they were great. They have all sorts of info about patch cables, phone docks and antennas.

P.S. I have no affiliation with them.

Recommending companies is always welcome

Drewboyaus
2nd May 2014, 10:36 AM
I have bought cradles for my work vehicles from a mob called "Hold my Phone". Always good service and a wide range of options. I have never purchased the cradles with an external antenna connection but I know they have many of them available to suit almost any phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

firm351
2nd May 2014, 12:35 PM
All our work cars have a cradle in the cab which is connected to a broomstick antenna mounted on the bull bar. The cradle has a passive connection to the phone so you don't need a patch lead as most smart phones don't have a jack to connect a lead to.

In fringe reception areas my iphone will go from 1 bar or no bars to at least two bars, sometimes more.

Here's a link to a mob that have cradles for all sorts of phones.

http://www.strike.com.au/

the evil twin
2nd May 2014, 04:34 PM
My "car" phone like its owner is as dumb as dog shit (DADS) .
All it can do is make/recieve phone calls and sms (which is pretty piss poor for a mobile phone eh).

DADS battery lasts for up to a week between recharging
DADS has an external antenna jack and a 6dB antenna gives at least 33% more range (guesstimated but it's heaps)
DADS costs $25 on Ebay and is Telstra blue tick approved.
I use a prepaid sim in DADS so if it gets stolen/lost/run over/dunked/irradiated or bio contaminated I just go Pffft and buy another $25 phone.

What has that got to do with smart phone reception and this thread?

Lots, because all I do is divert my "smart" phone number to my "dumb as dogshit" phone, turn my smart phone off and leave it safe or even at home and then my "smart" phone has heaps of range because as others mention Induction Cradles are very inefficient.

Winnie
2nd May 2014, 06:09 PM
All it can do is make/recieve phone calls and sms (which is pretty piss poor for a mobile phone eh).

DADS has an external antenna jack and a 6dB antenna gives at least 33% more range (guesstimated but it's heaps)
I use a prepaid sim in DADS so if it gets stolen/lost/run over/dunked/irradiated or bio contaminated I just go Pffft and buy another $25 phone.

Lots, because all I do is divert my "smart" phone number to my "dumb as dogshit" phone, turn my smart phone off and leave it safe or even at home and then my "smart" phone has heaps of range because as others mention Induction Cradles are very inefficient.

I like your thinking haha.
I remember an old Fairlane mum had, and it had a hard wired dedicated car phone in place of the centre console. The hand piece was on a curly cord and all.

menace 2
2nd May 2014, 06:48 PM

does that mean you just use a cheap phone that has an ariel jack and Bluetooth ?.

the evil twin
2nd May 2014, 07:20 PM
does that mean you just use a cheap phone that has an ariel jack and Bluetooth ?.

Yep, ZTE T100. Gazillions of them around so accessories and the phone itself are cheap as chips.

From memory the patch lead (phone jack to FME connector) was $1.99 delivered and it happens to also fit the Telstra badged Sierra Wireless Internet dongles so that is my wireless internet taken care of as well