PDA

View Full Version : Ironman bars

Matty852
29th April 2014, 12:43 AM
Has anyone had any experience with ironman bars? Out of curiosity I had one priced over the weekend at the local dealer and it seemed rather cheap.

kevin07
29th April 2014, 06:48 AM
which bar is it and what price

Matty852
29th April 2014, 07:16 AM
The deluxe bar and I was quoted 1050$

lucus30
29th April 2014, 09:39 AM
I was wondering about these myself. They look good from a distance but I was wondering what their strength vs ARB etc. Certainly are a good price any way

Winnie
29th April 2014, 10:41 AM
Roofy has an Ironman bar on his GU.

lucus30
29th April 2014, 11:21 AM
Roofy has an Ironman bar on his GU.

Might have to wait and see what he says. I am really interested in the uneek one but $1650 is a little too much I think

BigRAWesty
29th April 2014, 02:12 PM
Saw one fitted to a gu over Easter.

Looks good but on closer inspection it's made of lighter material and weld spacings are further apart compared to the Arb bar.

So imo the Arb will give you better protection, but money always talks.

Ironman 4x4
29th April 2014, 03:34 PM
The deluxe bar and I was quoted 1050$

Mate that's an amazing price! Our Deluxe Commercial Bars retail for $1295.

As far as the quality is concerned, they are a really strong bar that you'll have no issues with. We do rigorous amounts or design, development and testing before releasing our bull bars to ensure that they'll stand up to what you and I throw at them.

@Westy's, our bars are design and mounted differently to what ARB do and so there is likely to be differences in the way the bars are supported and thus bracing requirements at certain points. There is no compromise in quality or strength of our bars though.

If you've got any questions, please feel free to give us a yell!

Cheers,

Matt
Ironman 4x4

Matty852
29th April 2014, 10:43 PM
As far as I have seen ironman are really good, I will be investing in a set of ironman rear drawers as well once the bank account allows it.

kevin07
29th April 2014, 11:05 PM
ironman had a problem with my bar was replaced no fuss so warranty is good and I reckon its a very good looking bar and I wacked a roo little bugger but all is good im happy no damage

Drewboyaus
29th April 2014, 11:50 PM
I have a recollection that there was a member on here about 12 months ago complaining about the difficulties in mounting and accessing aftermarket, rated recovery points on the chassis when using Ironman bars. I'm fairly sure it had something to do with the bar blocking the usual mounting points and then some issue with accessing the recovery point through the bar was a PITA......that would be a significant problem in my opinion.
Happy to be corrected on that and I'd do a search if I wasn't mobile but searching on a mobile device sux

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Drewboyaus
29th April 2014, 11:59 PM
Matty, In my opinion, better value can be had (given you own a GQ) by hunting out a good condition, second hand winch bar for your GQ. For the same price you are quoting for a new bar, I picked up an ARB winch bar, ARB steel steps and scrub bars and a winch (that I reconditioned and now works better than new). As much as I love my old Q, I can't justify full priced accessories that can't be used on another vehicle if at some point I upgrade to a later model.

Clunk
30th April 2014, 12:05 AM
I have a recollection that there was a member on here about 12 months ago complaining about the difficulties in mounting and accessing aftermarket, rated recovery points on the chassis when using Ironman bars. I'm fairly sure it had something to do with the bar blocking the usual mounting points and then some issue with accessing the recovery point through the bar was a PITA......that would be a significant problem in my opinion.
Happy to be corrected on that and I'd do a search if I wasn't mobile but searching on a mobile device sux

This one Drew?

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?p=445173

Drewboyaus
30th April 2014, 07:30 AM
This one Drew? http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?p=445173

That's the one! Thanks Clunk.

lucus30
30th April 2014, 09:53 AM
That's the one! Thanks Clunk.

This was talking about the ironman protector bar. I wonder if the deluxe commercial is any better

Ironman 4x4
30th April 2014, 10:30 AM
This was talking about the ironman protector bar. I wonder if the deluxe commercial is any better

Hey Lucus,

The Protector bar is inherently weaker than the commercial or deluxe commercial bars as the top tube is made of stainless steel that is bolted in to the base. The base designs are all the same, but with the addition of fog lights on the protector and deluxe commerical bars. But the major strength advantage the commercial and deluxe commercial bars have is that the top tube is made out of steel and welded to the base bar. This means that it assists in creating extra reinforcement of the lower body, whilst also being stronger by design in the tubes.

Stating that, many prefer the look of the stainless steel tubing, which is why we provide it as an option, and it is still a very strong bar that has protected people from many a roo, cow, light pole etc.

Cheers,

Matt
Ironman 4x4

Drewboyaus
30th April 2014, 11:11 AM
Hey Lucus, The Protector bar is inherently weaker than the commercial or deluxe commercial bars as the top tube is made of stainless steel that is bolted in to the base. The base designs are all the same, but with the addition of fog lights on the protector and deluxe commerical bars. But the major strength advantage the commercial and deluxe commercial bars have is that the top tube is made out of steel and welded to the base bar. This means that it assists in creating extra reinforcement of the lower body, whilst also being stronger by design in the tubes. Stating that, many prefer the look of the stainless steel tubing, which is why we provide it as an option, and it is still a very strong bar that has protected people from many a roo, cow, light pole etc. Cheers, Matt Ironman 4x4

All good but does it still have an issue with mounting rated recovery points as per the protector bar. Given you state they share the same base, I assume the answer to be yes.......

Ironman 4x4
30th April 2014, 11:34 AM
All good but does it still have an issue with mounting rated recovery points as per the protector bar. Given you state they share the same base, I assume the answer to be yes.......

Hey Mate,

Yes they are the same base, so if that issue is occuring on one it will be happening on all.

I'd love to get my eyes on one of these in the flesh (on a GQ) so that we could suss out what's happening there.

pickers
30th April 2014, 06:05 PM
Hey lucus
I have the ironman draws in my gu and cannt fault them easy DIY build install and I run them with a black widow half barrier with top shelf all Line up perfect

cgm
30th April 2014, 07:11 PM
I had an Ironman bar on my GU in Saudi. Punished it a few times (accidentally) hitting against the sand dunes when going hard at a climb where the angle was too sharp. Got a bit of a shower of sand, but bar was still in shape and airbag didn't go off! :) Also winched with it quite a few times. It stood up fine and I'd buy another one if I needed to (and I bought it at the time because it was 2/3 of the price of the other brand available to me)

It was a slight pain the angle of the bar against the recovery points. On my 4.8 TD didn't have any points that fit (I think due to the radiator hanging lower), so I had to get some from Patrolapart. Couldn't put the bolt through the point for clearance (the loop on the shackle would hit the top), but could still just manage to slip the whole shackle through and then have the bolt through the strap. Not perfect, but worked.

Matty852
30th April 2014, 08:32 PM
Cheers for the info guys, it's good to hear from people that have these parts fitted as I am only new to the whole scene.

Matty852
30th April 2014, 08:39 PM
Matty, In my opinion, better value can be had (given you own a GQ) by hunting out a good condition, second hand winch bar for your GQ. For the same price you are quoting for a new bar, I picked up an ARB winch bar, ARB steel steps and scrub bars and a winch (that I reconditioned and now works better than new). As much as I love my old Q, I can't justify full priced accessories that can't be used on another vehicle if at some point I upgrade to a later model.

I had a look around at 2nd hand bars and I guess at the end of the day I want to try and get everything new where possible, I picked the old Q up as a project to start restoring back to production where possible, the side bars don't really bother me to much since I have already made up a set of solid sidesteps so maybe down the track I may make up a set of scrub bars to fit as well.

Drewboyaus
30th April 2014, 09:46 PM
I had a look around at 2nd hand bars and I guess at the end of the day I want to try and get everything new where possible, I picked the old Q up as a project to start restoring back to production where possible, the side bars don't really bother me to much since I have already made up a set of solid sidesteps so maybe down the track I may make up a set of scrub bars to fit as well.

That's cool.....I have been building mine up from a stock unit. Nearly all the bits (except electrics and suspension) have been sourced second hand and I always enjoy the look on my mates' faces when I tell them how much I picked up my latest mod for. I just can't justify spending more than the car is worth on mods.
The beauty of this lifestyle is that there are many ways to skin a cat when it comes to pimping your ride......

Matty852
30th April 2014, 10:04 PM
Haha I can't really say that, I picked up my rig for 6k, it already had a 2 inch lift and had a turbo and intercooler fitted, just needed a tune and have a zd39 airbox fitted to hook up the snorkel all up I have spent about 3k on parts and mods upto now and have maybe another 4k or so to go before I get it to where I want it, it's been a good run so far.

BigRAWesty
1st May 2014, 08:26 AM
This one Drew?

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?p=445173

Hey Mate,

Yes they are the same base, so if that issue is occuring on one it will be happening on all.

I'd love to get my eyes on one of these in the flesh (on a GQ) so that we could suss out what's happening there.

Ironman 4x4
1st May 2014, 03:13 PM

Hey Mate,

Thanks, as you can see in that thread, I stated that I believed we left provisions for aftermarket recovery points. But I really do need to get my eyes on one of these bars again (fitted to a vehicle) to suss out what's happening here in detail.

lucus30
1st May 2014, 06:11 PM
Hey Mate,

Thanks, as you can see in that thread, I stated that I believed we left provisions for aftermarket recovery points. But I really do need to get my eyes on one of these bars again (fitted to a vehicle) to suss out what's happening here in detail.

Feel free to fit one to my car to check it out if you want ha ha

Matty852
1st May 2014, 08:28 PM
I can sort of see what the issue would be but I guess there's always a way around it

Matty852
1st May 2014, 08:56 PM
While I remember, if I was to grab a bar that is fitted for fog lights what's the chances or being able to pull them out and fit in a small set of LED driving lights since my GQ isn't fitted for fog lights

Ironman 4x4
2nd May 2014, 10:01 AM
While I remember, if I was to grab a bar that is fitted for fog lights what's the chances or being able to pull them out and fit in a small set of LED driving lights since my GQ isn't fitted for fog lights

I'll just say it's been done. The same with changing the globes in those fog lights to HID...

gu8 patrol
2nd May 2014, 01:34 PM
i tried changing my globes to hid and can't find a globe short enough where it doesn't touch the diffuser.

Matty852
2nd May 2014, 05:58 PM
I was thinking about doing a complete replacement if I can find a light about the same size

4wdreaming
2nd May 2014, 06:46 PM
Let us know you go with finding some the right size, as I have been thinking about doing the same thing

gu8 patrol
3rd May 2014, 09:46 AM
you can get a complete replacement from coventrys but they want 300 each for them,55w hid,just a bit pricey,haven't been able to find them anywhere else.

Matty852
3rd May 2014, 10:48 AM
Cheers for the heads up, I will have to check them out