PDA

View Full Version : Speedo adjust/calibration

Whitewulf
8th February 2011, 04:08 PM
Hi All

Has anyone found or know of anyone that will adjust the speedo of a GU in Brisbane.

I have searched the web and was able to find able instrument in Brisbane but was told "NO go back to dealer". Called Dealer service area and they don't do it either. The speedo is only out by about 5-8k but its enough to get caught if you forget.

Bigrig
8th February 2011, 04:21 PM
Try Perfect Dash (ask for Paul). They may not do it either, but if not, may be able to point you in the right direction.

Whitewulf
8th February 2011, 06:12 PM
Thanks will contact Paul and check

BillsGU
8th February 2011, 11:01 PM
Marks adaptors make speedo gears to fit some gear boxes. You need to use a GPS to work out how much your speedo is up or down, give them a call and they will tell you what new gear ratio you need to correct it. They even have electronic boxes for some vehicles. You can set them up to work with various tyre diameters if you have a number of different tyres (road / mud) that you may use. Give them a call.

Finly Owner
8th February 2011, 11:51 PM
Forget the rest see the best:

Go to : Able Instruments
Unit 6, 10-12 Babdoyle St
Loganholme Qld 4129
Ph 3801 1232
ask for Ken and say Tim from Kennards Hire, Syds mate sent you.
Please take his advice as he won't help d!ck heads. They are set to test and callibrate speedos and all instruments; auto, marine, aviational and industrial.

Bigrig
9th February 2011, 12:00 AM

Loganholme Qld 4129
Ph 3801 1232
Please take his advice as he won't help d!ck heads. They are set to test and callibrate speedos and all instruments; auto, marine, aviational and industrial.

Good to know that one Tim - well done! Is it the same 'company' as able in brissy (franchised??). They seem to be the mob that told him no go?

the evil twin
9th February 2011, 12:07 AM
I don't know what is happening but I tried to post into this thread 3 times between 5:23 and 5:33 and they keep disappearing after a few minutes.

Anyway here's #4 attempt... Nissan Parts have a range of 4 or 5 speedo cogs that are 1 tooth apart on each (they are used to adjust for the different diff ratios) and each one is worth approx 6 KPH at 100 KPH.

To replace the s[eedo gear all you do is pull off the speed sensor on the gearbox (might lose a little fluid) and swap the cogs.

Finly Owner
9th February 2011, 12:16 AM
Good to know that one Tim - well done! Is it the same 'company' as able in brissy (franchised??). They seem to be the mob that told him no go?
My slip up, didn't read properly. It is the one and same shop Scott, I suggestring them again and ask for Ken and find out why they can't do it, as they are the guys for doing this stuff. It could only be that they can't get the gearings Evil is talking about. So I might try to remeber to call Ken myself tomorrow as I know him and find out whats the go.

Whitewulf
9th February 2011, 11:56 AM

Loganholme Qld 4129
Ph 3801 1232

Thanks Very Much, spoke with Ken, he will need to look at the GU to check what system it has, from their we can work out if able to fix :Yahoo!:

@BillsGU - thanks also, will call up Mark if Able unable to do.

Finly Owner
10th February 2011, 12:20 AM
Thanks Very Much, spoke with Ken, he will need to look at the GU to check what system it has, from their we can work out if able to fix :Yahoo!:

Good to hear, was worried when they couldn't originally help. Kens a great bloke but comes across very differently. Let us know how it goes.

Bigrig
10th February 2011, 09:43 AM

Do let us know how you go mate as I wouldn't mind getting mine looked at if it's worth it.

Whitewulf
15th February 2011, 02:23 PM
Picked the car up form the dealer on Friday 11/02 and put it into ARB to have a the 2" lift and tyers (+ add ons) added Sat/ Monday @ ARB.
Tested it and seems to have had not as big effect on the speedo I thought it would. ( 265/65/17 to 285/70/17 Micky Thomp ATZ)

Had done 2" inch lift with Oldman emu springs/shocks, steering damper + bushes, Micky Thompson Baja ATZ, Safari snorkel, electronic rust, Wins Winch.
Don't have any pics yet hoping to post be end of day.

Thanks again to all, will update if I note a change.

Bigrig
15th February 2011, 03:35 PM
Picked the car up form the dealer on Friday 11/02 and put it into ARB to have a the 2" lift and tyers (+ add ons) added Sat/ Monday @ ARB.
Tested it and seems to have had not as big effect on the speedo I thought it would. ( 265/65/17 to 285/70/17 Micky Thomp ATZ)

Had done 2" inch lift with Oldman emu springs/shocks, steering damper + bushes, Micky Thompson Baja ATZ, Safari snorkel, electronic rust, Wins Winch.
Don't have any pics yet hoping to post be end of day.

Thanks again to all, will update if I note a change.

Did you go the 4 rib ATZ??

Whitewulf
15th February 2011, 04:22 PM
Did you go the 4 rib ATZ??

Yes, they seemed to me, to be "similar look" in tread to mud, less the price, plus they have the extra belt on the side wall that the 5 rib did not have.

Bigrig
15th February 2011, 04:25 PM
Yes, they seemed to me, to be "similar look" in tread to mud, less the price, plus they have the extra belt on the side wall that the 5 rib did not have.

Yeah, they are a nice aggressive pattern for an all terrain - sort of in between normal all terrains and muds. I've been happy with mine, so be interested to hear how u go with it!!

Scotty