PDA

View Full Version : Is this a safe recovery point?

thebrod
25th April 2014, 02:41 PM
Hi all

Only recently purchased my Patrol, and have seen a lot of discussion about suitable recovery points. My car doesnt seem to have the hook that is talked about alot here but has what I have attached in the pics. Are these suitable as a recovery point? they look fairly sturdy to me, and there is on on each side at the front, but the last thing I want is for something to come flying off!!

Cheers

Adam

threedogs
25th April 2014, 02:59 PM
If it is painted red It may be one of mine.
my tow points are proof rated to 3.5 ton
and like any bit of recovery gear if it looks suss throw it out and get another one.
It may also be a copy but I cant vouch for them only mine

gec
25th April 2014, 03:00 PM
Yeah mate, that is an after market recovery point and is safe to use responsibly, as long as the bolts are the high shear or high tensile strength and not just normal mild steel bolts. I'm pretty sure they should have lines or number's on the head of the bolt that will let you know what they are, and if I'm wrong about the bolts I'm sure there is someone on here that will let you know,

Cheers.

growler2058
25th April 2014, 04:36 PM
Yeah mate, that is an after market recovery point and is safe to use responsibly, as long as the bolts are the high shear or high tensile strength and not just normal mild steel bolts. I'm pretty sure they should have lines or number's on the head of the bolt that will let you know what they are, and if I'm wrong about the bolts I'm sure there is someone on here that will let you know,

Cheers.

X2...............

thebrod
25th April 2014, 05:17 PM
Cool. Thanks guys :cool:

mudski
25th April 2014, 09:35 PM
Five lines on the head of the bolt is grade 8 hi tensile steel...

bindi
18th May 2014, 05:40 PM
thanks also from me too, I might see if I can't make some