PDA

View Full Version : Blown motor dunno what is best to do.

Quagar
21st April 2014, 07:54 PM
Hi all,

I have a 2003 GU Patrol 4cyl auto. The motor blew at 105,000klms and my local Nissan dealer rebuilt it after Nissan sent some parts. 70,000klms later and the second motor has done the same thing. I'm really disappointed in these engines, I honestly expected to get 300,000klms from a diesel without to many hiccups, to have an engine blow twice in 175,000klms is simply not right. So, what do I do?

I have heard of people converting a V8 motor but I have no idea what that will cost.
I don't know what it's worth to sell.
Do I rebuild it again? And what's that going to cost?
Apart from the motor's around this era, the car is great and I'd like to keep it but at the moment it only goes downhill :-)
I'm sure there a few others who have come across the same issue and I'd like to know what you did.

Cheers
Q

MudRunnerTD
21st April 2014, 08:54 PM
Well that sux mate, sorry dude.

Please head over and post an introduction thread please bud, we ask all new members to say Gday.

You have a couple of options, none of them cheap. Are you sure it's Blown? Is Nissan providing any warranty on a 70k old engine?

If you stick with a 3.0lt then chase a newer Common Rail engine for the win. Find one out of a wreck. Not sure about wiring and stuff to do that though, someone here will know though.

Alternatively, a TD42T into your car would be pretty easy too and No Engineerng I don't think as the model came with this engine.

Thirdly, an LS2 which would be sweet. All will cost you a bit of coin.

Good luck mate

Quagar
21st April 2014, 09:37 PM
Yep, failed a compression test in 3 cylinders, bore scope shows at least 2 pistons damaged.

Quagar
21st April 2014, 09:39 PM
P.S. Nissan didn't want to know anything about it when I rang, they just said the issue had been archived.

BigRAWesty
22nd April 2014, 08:00 AM
Bugga mate but very common thing to happen.
Have you done the Nads system previously?? If not have a search here and a good read.

Mr is sorta correct with the td42 conversion, it will need light engineering as engine mounts need changing, and any chassis mod needs certs.

I personally would either do a 4.2 conversion or bolt in a 07+ 3ltr engine.

A 4.2 will give you solid reliability for easily 300,000, mine has just rolled half a million..

But Mr was correct that any conversion will be a lot more expensive than a rebuild.

threedogs
22nd April 2014, 08:10 AM
Alternatively, a TD42T into your car would be pretty easy too and No Engineerng I don't think as the model came with this engine.

Thirdly, an LS2 which would be sweet. All will cost you a bit of coin.

Good luck mate[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure changing to a 4.2 TD would require engineering as any engine change would.

T-roy86
1st May 2014, 06:17 PM
I have a 2004 3litre that blew up as well. Im actually in the next month putting a GQ 4.2TD motor in as the GU 4.2 are way too expensive for my budget. I know the engine mounts need to be changed but I have been told allow 10gs for the full conversion. Something to think about

sooty_10
1st May 2014, 07:34 PM
Engineering will all depend on different states, I converted my rd2.8 wagon to TD42t and it didn't need engineering (even with moving engine mounts) to get it registered as you can't even tell which mount was moved, and the vehicle came from the factory with that model as an option. This was in Vic.

omy
25th June 2014, 07:34 PM
An RB25 from a Skyline would be a drop in convert!