PDA

View Full Version : Electric water pump positioning in camper...

mudski
17th April 2014, 10:17 PM
I want to re position the water pump in my camper from being under the sink in the tailgate kitchen, to in the rear side cabinet of the trailer closer to the tank. Why? So its out of the way and more room under the sink pretty much. But. I am thinking the pump needs to be as close as possible to the tap otherwise I will create extra stress on the pump. Not sure though. The type of pump is kinda wierd. While it has an impellor, it doesn't actually touch the water. That part is sealed. It has these spring loaded valves on the in and out ports of the pump. So I'm guessing the water is pumped from centrifugal force somehow.
So could I mount the pump away from the tap and closer to the tank?

megatexture
17th April 2014, 10:23 PM
My pump is mounted right next to my tank under the trailer (outside) and I put a stone guard over it, is your pump a pressure activated pump or a switch?

mudski
17th April 2014, 10:44 PM
My pump is mounted right next to my tank under the trailer (outside) and I put a stone guard over it, is your pump a pressure activated pump or a switch?

Well at the moment, it has a ciggie plug on it, and once plugged it will only turn on once I turn the tap on. What I want to do it hard wire the pump in and also run an on/off switch next to the sink. So I can override the power to the pump just in case the tap decides to not work and just stay on. Which could happen with this MDC wonder trailer.

megatexture
17th April 2014, 11:37 PM
I have one of these as I didn't want a big pump or hi flow rate and this thing is tiny.
https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=133&item=67256&intAbsolutePage=2

I can't see any reason your pump can't be mounted in the tool box it's not like its going to be pumping meters in the air to cause excess wear , but it may be annoying if its not self priming to get it started, to keep water at the pump if it is you can use a one way valve

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?item=91857&search123=One+way+valve&intAbsolutePage=1

Cuppa
18th April 2014, 12:05 AM
No prob with mounting your pump closer to the tank. A separate on/off switch is a reasonable idea, although it isn’t necessary to have it at the sink (unless this is the convenient spot). Generally the pressure pumps are very reliable. The switch is a good idea to to isolate the pump whilst driving, which in conjunction with an inline tap close to the tank protects against water loss & pump running dry should you ever get a leak in a hose. Being a pressure pump it will almost certainly be self priming, but still a good idea to mount it level with or below the bottom of the tank.

If anyone is interested I have two of those whale pumps like MT linked to which I don’t need. I’ll sell for $25 plus postage each. They are not new, but work. Nice little pumps, & and together with a one way valve make a simple & easy to fit replacement for a hand pump. PM me if interested.

Cuppa
18th April 2014, 12:06 AM
No prob with mounting your pump closer to the tank. A separate on/off switch is a reasonable idea, although it isn’t necessary to have it at the sink (unless this is the convenient spot). Generally the pressure pumps are very reliable. The switch is a good idea to to isolate the pump whilst driving, which in conjunction with an inline tap close to the tank protects against water loss & pump running dry should you ever get a leak in a hose. Being a pressure pump it will almost certainly be self priming, but still a good idea to mount it level with or below the bottom of the tank.

If anyone is interested I have two of those whale pumps like MT linked to which I don’t need. I’ll sell for $25 plus postage each. They are not new, but work. Nice quiet little pumps, & together with a one way valve make a simple & easy to fit replacement for a hand pump. PM me if interested.

mudski
18th April 2014, 12:15 PM
I have one of these as I didn't want a big pump or hi flow rate and this thing is tiny.
https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=133&item=67256&intAbsolutePage=2

I can't see any reason your pump can't be mounted in the tool box it's not like its going to be pumping meters in the air to cause excess wear , but it may be annoying if its not self priming to get it started, to keep water at the pump if it is you can use a one way valve

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?item=91857&search123=One+way+valve&intAbsolutePage=1
The low rate of your pump is over double mine...
https://www.12voltpumps.com.au/?p=39

Wondering whether I should grab one off cuppa. Then my next thing is the sink tap. As per my posting about the awesome build of this MDC camper in the other thread, the hose they used from the pump to the tap was too big and the first time I used it, water leaked everywhere under the sink. So I tightened up the hose clamp on the barb fitting and the barb fitting snapped off. Guh!. SO out came the 406 and glued the whole effer together. Just so I could get going and use it.
So I want to replace the tap I have. (see pic) I need something that is low profile and can swivel, for when packing the camper up...

Whitworths don't have anything low enough. Tried eBay but failed. Any other places to try? I really don't need a tap with the valve. I can just have an outlet and mount the electrical switch next to it...I suppose.

Edit : NVM the last bit. I think I just found where MDC get their gear from, and its close to them and me. Will go up and have a chat with them.
Cuppa, I might grab one of those pumps off you mate. Is it the same as in the link MT posted up? Just need to size it up and see if I can fit it under the trailer along with a one way valve. As the pump I have is less than half the flow rate of the other pump, it doesn't need the one way valve...

megatexture
18th April 2014, 12:34 PM
I have the pump with a switch next to the sink and I have a pump style tap as the electric pump isn't self priming.

Try your local boating shops they will be your best bet for a tap

mudski
18th April 2014, 12:37 PM
Thanks. This joint should have what I need and they are pretty close to me.
http://www.caravanparts.net.au/store/products/category16.inetstore
How quiet is the pump you have? Mines noisy as hell. Maybe because of where it was mounted too, under the sink in the tailgate kitchen and bolted to the base. The vibration I suppose would travel through the whole tail gate...

Plus I don't think I have room for a pump style tap. It needs to be low profile for when locking up the tail gate...

Cuppa
18th April 2014, 04:54 PM
Cuppa, I might grab one of those pumps off you mate. Is it the same as in the link MT posted up? Just need to size it up and see if I can fit it under the trailer along with a one way valve. As the pump I have is less than half the flow rate of the other pump, it doesn't need the one way valve...

Mate, I’m happy to sell you one, but to be honest I reckon what you have is just fine. Greater flow is not necessarily a good thing, especially when travelling & carrying limited quantities of water. With greater flow you will end up using more water. The pump you have has the same 4.5lpm flow rate as the one I now have fitted in our Patrol. I started off with a 17lpm pump, changed it for a 10lpm pump & then changed to one like yours. It still has plenty of pressure/flow for a shower. Friends of mine who just got back to Australia two days ago, after 3 years travelling overland to the UK & back modified their pressure pump to provide 2lpm to help save water & found this to be quite adequate. Pressure pumps are a bit noisier but the way in which they are mounted can make a big difference to how noisy they are. Two factors 1. Best rubber mounted onto something that is not going to act as a ’sounding board’ & 2. It is very important to ensure that the hose connections to the pump are flexible with some free play in them, without this they will be twice as loud. They are never going to be silent .....but it’s not like they are switched on for anything but short periods.

The pumps I have are the same as MT linked to, but I just checked them & see that I have dismantled them in the past & resealed the ends with grey sikaflex. Not the prettiest, but still functional. Like I say I don’t reckon you need them, but if you do want them, I’ll let you have both for the $25 plus postage.

If you really wanted a high flow, I have a new unused 17lpm pressure pump I don’t need too (I’m keeping the 10lpm to use on an extension cable for filling our tanks). :smile:

mudski
18th April 2014, 05:39 PM
Thanks cuppa. When it stops raining I will check the dimensions of your pump. It may be a better fit. Even though mine may be adequate. But then I need to fit a non return valve to yours don't I?
Also the fittings that screw into the tank are plastic. You reckon its better to use a metal fitting? Into a plastic tank too..
As the way I see it, these fittings are exposed under the camper, If I have a rock or something come up and hit the plastic fitting, there goes my water.

lhurley
18th April 2014, 06:48 PM
Thanks cuppa. When it stops raining I will check the dimensions of your pump. It may be a better fit. Even though mine may be adequate. But then I need to fit a non return valve to yours don't I?
Also the fittings that screw into the tank are plastic. You reckon its better to use a metal fitting? Into a plastic tank too..
As the way I see it, these fittings are exposed under the camper, If I have a rock or something come up and hit the plastic fitting, there goes my water.

Cover that sucker up. Make a bash plate for the pump, or if your concerned about the tank too, cover the lot.

Cuppa
18th April 2014, 09:28 PM
I have plastic fittings in the pump & tank, but they are in the pod. As lhurley says if you have exposed pump &/or tank underneath it (& any hoses/pipes) should be protected for off road/dirt road use. When you are a long way from anywhere your water supply is crucial. TBH I was a bit suprised to read that those Whale pumps have a higher flow rate than your pressure pump. They certainly don’t give as much pressure. A Whale pump plus non return valve would be smaller than your current pump, but not by a huge amount. A lot lighter though (but we are still only talking ounces).I still think what you have is the better option.

If your water tank is one of those cheap rectangular black, ribbed plastic tanks they also need to be well supported across the full tank for use ‘off road’.. We have two of them under our bus, & used to have them held on by just two steel straps. After a couple of thousand kms of corrugated roads one developed a leak at it’s mid point, a stress fracture. When fitting a replacement I added extra support underneath in the form of a piece of painted plywood. Until then it had had no under protection, but sat behind a ‘curtain’ of conveyor belt material to protect it. when replacing it there were several gouges obviously caused by flying rocks, lucky we had had no puncture. Full under support/protection s probably wise for any plastic tank, & possibly others too.

mudski
19th April 2014, 02:13 PM
I think I'll get some thick rubber sheeting and make up a cover for the fittings into the tank. They're fairly exposed right now...

Cuppa
19th April 2014, 02:43 PM
I think I'll get some thick rubber sheeting and make up a cover for the fittings into the tank. They're fairly exposed right now...

Yes, they are very exposed. Whilst you are at it, it would be worthwhile changing those hoses to opaque drinking quality ones. Those clear ones will let light in eventually encouraging algae growth & drinking quality hose is needed to avoid ’taste’. Whilst talking of taste adding in an inline carbon filter if you dont have one will be a very worthwhile investment. Many outback towns have water which can vary from pretty ordinary to bloody awful tasting. A carbon filter makes most of it taste ok. One with silver in it helps to prevent the growth of nasties in it if not used for a while. I have ours between tank & tap, & also use a sediment filter when filling the tank. This will allow for water to be taken from rivers or even stock troughs. Add a little chlorine to the water tank to ensure safety & still get good tasting chlorine free water out of the tap.

mudski
19th April 2014, 03:18 PM
I assume those filters will slightly restrict flow too?

Cuppa
19th April 2014, 04:50 PM
I assume those filters will slightly restrict flow too?

Yes, just a bit, but we still have plenty of flow with the 4.6lpm pump which I have installed in the cold water line. Barely noticeable when compared to the hot water line which is running off the same pump, & that is with a 1 micron filter (which is fine enough to protect from cryptosporidium, giardia & other water borne cysts). I use a 5 micron sediment filter for filling the tank.

We have used this system in our bus for years & never had a problem with getting sick, or having water taste bad & have never needed to clean out the tanks or hoses. Tanks are left full whenever not in use & the water is good to drink no matter how long it has sat. Have never added chlorine to it, but have never filled from anything other than a tap. With the Patrol we will carry chlorine as we may need to use less ‘domesticated’ water supplies from time to time.

The filters don’t prevent that ‘scum’ you occasionally get on the top of your cuppa from some bore water supplies, but it still tastes ok.

mudski
19th April 2014, 06:37 PM
Yes, just a bit, but we still have plenty of flow with the 4.6lpm pump which I have installed in the cold water line. Barely noticeable when compared to the hot water line which is running off the same pump, & that is with a 1 micron filter (which is fine enough to protect from cryptosporidium, giardia & other water borne cysts). I use a 5 micron sediment filter for filling the tank.

We have used this system in our bus for years & never had a problem with getting sick, or having water taste bad & have never needed to clean out the tanks or hoses. Tanks are left full whenever not in use & the water is good to drink no matter how long it has sat. Have never added chlorine to it, but have never filled from anything other than a tap. With the Patrol we will carry chlorine as we may need to use less ‘domesticated’ water supplies from time to time.

The filters don’t prevent that ‘scum’ you occasionally get on the top of your cuppa from some bore water supplies, but it still tastes ok.

I drained the tank and found lots of plastic shavings in the tank, again. Had to pull the pump apart again to to clean out the shavings, again too....
Plus I think I need to work out a way so when the tailgate kitchen shuts it doesn't kink the hose like before...