PDA

View Full Version : Travel Buddy 12 Volt Oven

ShaunM
13th April 2014, 07:59 PM
I've got my Travel Buddy 12 Volt Oven for sale on eBay.

These things are great. Loved cooking up some hot food on the go.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/131165775844

Starting bid $100 or Buy it Now for $150.

Located in Hastings VIC.

4.2_simo
14th April 2014, 06:25 PM
Mate this would be awesome! Have done some measuring and looks like it fits exactly where I want it! But I won't waste your time, I don't have the cash, have to sell my UHF first which will give the 150. Will check in once it's sold to see if this is still available.
Cheers mate,
Simon

Bloodyaussie
14th April 2014, 06:30 PM
I'll take it for that price mate????

MudRunnerTD
14th April 2014, 06:33 PM
I'll take it for that price mate????

BA the buy now price on eBay is gone as someone has bid there. Pm Shaun if he does not check here (he should) and get him the end the listing and do the deal. Ending the item as its no longer available is simple to do. I am short of cash or I would have grabbed this yesterday. Would have been great to have one in the GUIV for lunches.

Stropp
14th April 2014, 11:16 PM
I sent him a pm yesterday but no reply yet, I offered to buy this and the turbo timer. Looks like it's too late now.

threedogs
15th April 2014, 09:29 AM
Whats the RRP on these ovens

DX grunt
15th April 2014, 10:46 AM
Whats the RRP on these ovens

Here's a link.

Looks like the marine version is bigger.

http://www.12-24voltovens.com.au/travel-buddy-12-volt-oven/

Rossco

MEGOMONSTER
15th April 2014, 11:07 AM
Here's a link.

Looks like the marine version is bigger.

http://www.12-24voltovens.com.au/travel-buddy-12-volt-oven/

Rossco

I have the marine oven and you can fit 8 meat pies in.
Ever since Darren (Mudrunner) walk around with a tray of hot jam donuts, I thought i gotta have one.

threedogs
15th April 2014, 11:10 AM
HHmmmmmmmmm donuts lol

MEGOMONSTER
15th April 2014, 12:35 PM
HHmmmmmmmmm donuts lol
That's what I said.

threedogs
15th April 2014, 12:44 PM
Ive put a bid on is anyone else bidding

menace 2
15th April 2014, 02:05 PM
They come in 3 sizes....that one is the smallest one...which is also pretty good...they retail for about $205.00 for that size shaun is selling plus postage

the evil twin
15th April 2014, 02:26 PM

How high are you willing to go... :210:

Bloodyaussie
15th April 2014, 02:45 PM
I was going to but I could not be stuffed so will go buy a new one when I am in a better position..... sucks when there is no reply to a bit of free advertising ???

Winnie
15th April 2014, 05:59 PM
I was going to but I could not be stuffed so will go buy a new one when I am in a better position..... sucks when there is no reply to a bit of free advertising ???

What's wrong with your dick Smith job!? No toasties with a travel buddy.

Hodge
15th April 2014, 06:02 PM
At last years 4x4 show they were flogging these off at stupid prices on the last afternoon so they dont have to pack them up. It was 1 per person limit so mate couldnt get 2. They went for 130-140 from memory.

Bloodyaussie
15th April 2014, 06:08 PM

I have discovered since my whole family has been coming on trips I need a bigger oven...... "I think we are going to need a bigger boat!!!!!!!"

Winnie
15th April 2014, 06:09 PM
I have discovered since my whole family has been coming on trips I need a bigger oven...... "I think we are going to need a bigger boat!!!!!!!"

Damn families costing money etc... How dare they!

fourj
15th April 2014, 06:23 PM

I was going to but you go for it. I'll buy one when I'm ready!

ShaunM
15th April 2014, 10:06 PM
Hi guys, just replied to the PM's. Sorry it took me a little while.

mudski
17th April 2014, 10:10 PM

Apart from being small the Dick Smith job is great. Last trip I feasted on mini pies. Before that was crumbed fish fillets.

Winnie
17th April 2014, 10:29 PM
Apart from being small the Dick Smith job is great. Last trip I feasted on mini pies. Before that was crumbed fish fillets.

We are really roughing it aren't we. I haven't done fish yet, fish fingers would be good.

mudski
17th April 2014, 10:48 PM
We are really roughing it aren't we. I haven't done fish yet, fish fingers would be good.

That snow trip we did last year I did crumbed fish fillets. Bloody awesome on a cold night.

Winnie
17th April 2014, 10:49 PM
Yeah I went for the old time classic garlic chicken balls... Haha

Stropp
18th April 2014, 11:06 AM
Well I was the lucky winner of the oven and the turbo timer :hpfredgeorge1:

GQ TANK
22nd April 2014, 07:45 PM
Dick smith ones are $20 on special to the end of the month plus $5 delivery (to melton)

Winnie
22nd April 2014, 07:49 PM
Dick smith ones are $20 on special to the end of the month plus $5 delivery (to melton)

Spewing, I bought another one about a month ago for about 50 bucks. So worth it though.

lucus30
29th August 2014, 12:11 PM
So I was looking a buying one of these. Where are you guys putting them? How much clearance around the travel buddy do you need so you don't set something on fire ?

MudRunnerTD
29th August 2014, 12:35 PM
So I was looking a buying one of these. Where are you guys putting them? How much clearance around the travel buddy do you need so you don't set something on fire ?

Its fully insulated. no clearance needed. obviously dont pack something in front of the front door but all other sides and the top are fine.

I have mine mounted permanently in the GQ and it is on a shelf above the fridge and is window height. it faces out the drivers side sliding window and is accessed from that window so i can load up around it without trouble. works a treat.

lucus30
29th August 2014, 07:14 PM
Its fully insulated. no clearance needed. obviously dont pack something in front of the front door but all other sides and the top are fine.

I have mine mounted permanently in the GQ and it is on a shelf above the fridge and is window height. it faces out the drivers side sliding window and is accessed from that window so i can load up around it without trouble. works a treat.

Good idea. Love sliding windows too bad the GU's didn't have them

DX grunt
29th August 2014, 09:10 PM
I have mine mounted permanently
Question... Is it 'hard wired' to the battery? How's it set up? Tks.

AB
29th August 2014, 09:13 PM
Question... Is it 'hard wired' to the battery? How's it set up? Tks.

I think he just means the oven itself is mounted permanently in his car mate. He loves his hot jam donuts Rossco!!!

They come standard with the normal ciggy plug which actually doesn't pop out unlike the waeco plugs.

Not sure if anyone's done an Anderson plug swap though???

lucus30
29th August 2014, 09:15 PM
I think he just means the oven itself is mounted permanently in his car mate. He loves his hot jam donuts Rossco!!!

They come standard with the normal ciggy plug which actually doesn't pop out unlike the waeco plugs.

Not sure if anyone's done an Anderson plug swap though???

Everything in mine gets swapped out for andersons. Best invention ever they are and would certainly swap to one when i get a travel buddy

AB
29th August 2014, 09:17 PM
Everything in mine gets swapped out for andersons. Best invention ever they are and would certainly swap to one when i get a travel buddy

I disagree...

I thoroughly enjoy stressing that my fridge has turned off whilst travelling and when touring for long distances find my fridge has been off for 5 hours. I love it!!!

lucus30
29th August 2014, 09:19 PM
I disagree...

I thoroughly enjoy stressing that my fridge has turned off whilst travelling and when touring for long distances find my fridge has been off for 5 hours. I love it!!!

ha ha case in point. Want me to come round and put one on your fridge AB?

And now i just want jam donuts thanks Andy!!!!

DX grunt
29th August 2014, 09:21 PM
Do you think that swapping to Anderson's will void the warranty?

lucus30
29th August 2014, 09:25 PM
Do you think that swapping to Anderson's will void the warranty?

Very good question and honestly I'm unsure. Generally if i'm concerned I buy another cord so i can still send it back with an original cord and plug.
That's what i did with my fridge any way

oncedisturbed
29th August 2014, 09:44 PM
I dont have the travel buddy but a US 12v oven, forget the brand but it opens up like a lunchbox.

From frozen, will cook a standar meat pie in around 40 mins which is great while wheeling

Sir Roofy
30th August 2014, 08:00 AM
question... Is it 'hard wired' to the battery? How's it set up? Tks.

rossco ,mate get your self one
when you go off road to the verge
and duck the pot holes your lunch will be ready

i use the anderson plug on mine
and a fuse its straight of the battery and fused
there as well works a treat

DX grunt
30th August 2014, 08:46 AM
rossco ,mate get your self one
when you go off road to the verge
and duck the pot holes your lunch will be ready

i use the anderson plug on mine
and a fuse its straight of the battery and fused
there as well works a treat

OK, you pressured me into getting..... http://www.12-24voltovens.com.au/travel-buddy-12-volt-marine-oven/ lol

I beat you by about 5 mins and have put my order in. hahaha

Interesting to read what the instructions give you the options for power.

I spend too much money on 'roadhouse' food and this'll solve the problem. I can see myself pre-cooking a fair bit of my camping food and vac-sealing it and using the oven heaps. I think I'll be able to cut down my pots and frypan to one of each. lol

Is this product a 'battery drainer' or is it reasonable?

Winnie
30th August 2014, 08:52 AM
Hey Rossco. It's a battery destroyer mate! It's okay to use when the car is off, Andy and I did a midnight munchies cookup at Dalhousie for a couple of hours and his battery was okay but you would not want to be doing that if you are not driving every day.
It's perfect to chuck your meal in it when you are driving and a bit before meal time and it's ready when you get to where you're going!

DX grunt
30th August 2014, 08:55 AM
Hey Rossco. It's a battery destroyer mate! It's okay to use when the car is off, Andy and I did a midnight munchies cookup at Dalhousie for a couple of hours and his battery was okay but you would not want to be doing that if you are not driving every day.
It's perfect to chuck your meal in it when you are driving and a bit before meal time and it's ready when you get to where you're going!

Thanks. I've got 2 x 120w solar panels on the roof that should do the trick.

I've experimented with everything turned on on my truck (Long range HF, CB, hot/cold water unit in pod, etc) in summer and it's all good. 2nd battery stays at 100% during peak sun. Will remember what you said, though. Thanks.

Winnie
30th August 2014, 09:24 AM
Oh perfect then mate, you're sorted for hot midnight snacks!

MudRunnerTD
30th August 2014, 02:02 PM
OK, you pressured me into getting..... http://www.12-24voltovens.com.au/travel-buddy-12-volt-marine-oven/ lol

I beat you by about 5 mins and have put my order in. hahaha

Interesting to read what the instructions give you the options for power.

I spend too much money on 'roadhouse' food and this'll solve the problem. I can see myself pre-cooking a fair bit of my camping food and vac-sealing it and using the oven heaps. I think I'll be able to cut down my pots and frypan to one of each. lol

Is this product a 'battery drainer' or is it reasonable?

Just remember though Rossco, it's an Oven! A real Oven. If you would not put it in the oven at home then don't put it in this one. Plastics bags are not ideal unless they are designed for heat. Lean cuisines work great, stuff in oil trays like lasagne are great. Frozen Pies upside down are awesome as are jam donuts. Don't over cook the donuts though.

Your Marine oven has a thermostat too to set the temp so you could cook from raw without trouble. It is more than a reheater. You could do a small roast or baked potatoes no problem.

AB
30th August 2014, 06:37 PM
Your solar panels will be fine using it during the day Rossco. You'll love it mate, it will change your entire perspective on camp cooking.

Best investment I have made for the family and boys trips.

I was eating spinach and ricotta pastries and tandoori chicken pizzas in the middle of the Simpson for crying out loud...lol

Bloodyaussie
30th August 2014, 06:52 PM
I am yet to use mine but to say I am so happy I got one for a birthday present is an understatement.

I am yet to work out how I will mount it as after seeing Rossco's draws he made I will be doing all my draws again and think I will try and get some cage and mount it up high .. maybe above the fridge??

Cant wait for my first proper meal from the thing.

DX grunt
31st August 2014, 09:27 PM
Does anybody have any pics of their oven mounted with the supplied brackets?

Just trying to get some idea of where to put mine in the pod when it arrives.

Even a pic of the mounting brackets is a start.

TIA

MudRunnerTD
31st August 2014, 09:52 PM
Really easy to mount Rossco, they come with 2 mounts that are like a Z. The top slots into a slot cut in the side of the oven and there is a hole in the bottom and you just screw it down.

DX grunt
31st August 2014, 09:59 PM
Really easy to mount Rossco, they come with 2 mounts that are like a Z. The top slots into a slot cut in the side of the oven and there is a hole in the bottom and you just screw it down.

Thanks. I think I'm gunna have to get an ally shelf made up.

macca
23rd September 2014, 06:27 PM
We gave our travel buddy a bit of use on a recent trip. Works a treat. Pies and jacket spuds after a long day behind the wheel. Easy as.

MEGOMONSTER
23rd September 2014, 08:05 PM
We gave our travel buddy a bit of use on a recent trip. Works a treat. Pies and jacket spuds after a long day behind the wheel. Easy as.

It's one hell of a treat after a mornings 4wding and open the oven door to see 4 hot, crispy meat pies.

MudRunnerTD
23rd September 2014, 08:08 PM
It's one hell of a treat after a mornings 4wding and open the oven door to see 4 hot, crispy meat pies.

Your a guts!!

You should cook your smoko every day in it Mego! Although you'd have a pie warmer on site yeah?

macca
23rd September 2014, 08:16 PM

And they smell so good too

MEGOMONSTER
23rd September 2014, 08:34 PM
Your a guts!! You should cook your smoko every day in it Mego! Although you'd have a pie warmer on site yeah?
Yes I would. Lol.

Clunk
23rd September 2014, 09:38 PM
Watched the latest 4wdAction DVD on Sunday and rocket Rod was cooking up a roast beef in his....... the missus saw it and happened to mention what a great idea it was.......... now I may be taking it the wrong way but I'm sure that must mean we should go and buy one ;):D

MudRunnerTD
23rd September 2014, 09:50 PM
Watched the latest 4wdAction DVD on Sunday and rocket Rod was cooking up a roast beef in his....... the missus saw it and happened to mention what a great idea it was.......... now I may be taking it the wrong way but I'm sure that must mean we should go and buy one ;):D

That is EXACTLY how I would interpret that Clunk! 100% Clear As Day!!

relyimah
23rd September 2014, 09:57 PM
That is EXACTLY how I would interpret that Clunk! 100% Clear As Day!!
Not quite sure why you wouldn't already have one on order with a clear directive like that!!

MudRunnerTD
23rd September 2014, 09:59 PM
Not quite sure why you wouldn't already have one on order with a clear directive like that!!

They are slow over in the West! Even the sun gets there later! He will catch up soon.

Clunk
23rd September 2014, 10:07 PM

A slight lack of funds due to the missus just getting me a winch and also gonna wait until the 4wd show in November to see what sort of deals are around

relyimah
23rd September 2014, 10:12 PM
A slight lack of funds due to the missus just getting me a winch and also gonna wait until the 4wd show in November to see what sort of deals are around
Heh sounds fair enough mate. I'd love one but I have to wait for funds too

janderson
23rd September 2014, 10:30 PM

Have a closer look at the roast when he puts it in the oven bag then into the oven. Its still got the packaging with price tag on it. And no steam when cutting it.

relyimah
23rd September 2014, 10:42 PM
Have a closer look at the roast when he puts it in the oven bag then into the oven. Its still got the packaging with price tag on it. And no steam when cutting it.

Interesting... I'll have to have a look... Then again just because that's staged for the camera doesn't necessarily mean they wouldn't do it... Would probably just take all day lol

Clunk
23rd September 2014, 10:47 PM

doesn't matter, the point is the missus didn't notice and she thinks it's a very good idea!!!! hahahahaha

janderson
23rd September 2014, 10:49 PM
Interesting... I'll have to have a look... Then again just because that's staged for the camera doesn't necessarily mean they wouldn't do it... Would probably just take all day lol

it will do a roast no prob, done it. had mine for over 12 months now use it heaps. out cutting wood today and did pizza in it for lunch.

Stropp
24th September 2014, 12:07 PM
Clunk i will be selling mine to get the bigger one with the thermostat and timer if you are interested, $150.

Clunk
24th September 2014, 12:11 PM
Clunk i will be selling mine to get the bigger one with the thermostat and timer if you are interested, $150.

Thanks Stropp, will have a think about it. You'll have it in the car on the weekend? Missus can take a look then.

Stropp
24th September 2014, 12:40 PM
yes mate mine is definately for sale as i just bought a new one :)

DX grunt
24th September 2014, 06:11 PM
My marine travel buddy oven arrived in today's mail.

I'll be bringing it to Dwellingup for those freezing days. lol.

No wet wood smoked food for me!!! lol

Stropp
24th September 2014, 06:31 PM
i dont know rossco, smoked ham, smoked oysters ;)

Sir Roofy
24th September 2014, 06:34 PM
my marine travel buddy oven arrived in today's mail.

I'll be bringing it to dwellingup for those freezing days. Lol.

No wet wood smoked food for me!!! Lol

you wont be sorry mate best thing we did,pies @130deg for ninty min before you reach
camp, walla pull up hot snack or dinner

janderson
24th September 2014, 06:59 PM
you wont be sorry mate best thing we did,pies @130deg for ninty min before you reach
camp, walla pull up hot snack or dinner
I set mine at about 80 to 90c deg for pies/pasties. put in 1st thing in morning. doesn't matter how long they are in it. will not over cook. so ready whenever you are.

Sir Roofy
24th September 2014, 08:51 PM
I set mine at about 80 to 90c deg for pies/pasties. put in 1st thing in morning. doesn't matter how long they are in it. will not over cook. so ready whenever you are.

I FIND THAT WHEN DRIVING MINE HEATS FASTER BECAUSE OF THE CHARGER
CONNECTED TO THE BATTERY BUT WHEN ON SOLAR HEATS SLOWER WHEN STOPPED
WILL BE UP YOUR WAY WITH BOB AND T Ds IN OCTOBER
SO MIGHT SEE YOU THERE AND SWAP COOKING TIPS

janderson
24th September 2014, 09:47 PM
I FIND THAT WHEN DRIVING MINE HEATS FASTER BECAUSE OF THE CHARGER
CONNECTED TO THE BATTERY BUT WHEN ON SOLAR HEATS SLOWER WHEN STOPPED
WILL BE UP YOUR WAY WITH BOB AND T Ds IN OCTOBER
SO MIGHT SEE YOU THERE AND SWAP COOKING TIPS
Been in contact with John & bob. I'll call in. hope to stay one night see what happens. Lets hope the rain we getting tonight isn't enough to shut it up

DX grunt
12th October 2014, 06:54 PM
Started my cook up at home for my 3 weeks away, shortly. Did a six pack of chilli con carne, currently in the freezer, and gunna do other stuff shortly.

Can't wait to use my Travel Buddy marine oven.

For all you west aussies, I'll be on the move between probably Kalbarri, but more likely Horrocks, to Bremmer Bay, over a 3 week period.

I prefer free camping, so if you know any good spots, I'll seriously consider. lol.

Bitumen access preferred. PML.

Stropp
12th October 2014, 09:01 PM
For all you west aussies, I'll be on the move between probably Kalbarri, but more likely Horrocks, to Bremmer Bay, over a 3 week period.

I prefer free camping, so if you know any good spots, I'll seriously consider. lol.

Bitumen access preferred. PML.

Lol, come on rosco get those tyres dirty.

DX grunt
12th October 2014, 09:17 PM
Lol, come on rosco get those tyres dirty.

I did say "preferred", but I am negotiable. hahaha

Cuppa
12th October 2014, 09:44 PM

Millers Point is a top free camp spot. Turn right onto dirt road (Millers Point Rd) off of the Bremer Bay Rd. It’s a fishers camp with a few shacks & long drop dunnies, & a number of waterfront spots to camp. Was very productive Black Bream fishing when we were there. Heaps of pelicans to keep you entertained.