PDA

View Full Version : Removing the oil filter housing td3lt

Pete's GU3
7th February 2011, 08:23 PM
Guys out of interest im trying to remove the oil filter housing on my 03 td 3lt so i can do the oil change , i want to see if i can get that loose first before i dump the oil because i want to change the filter as well .

. according to the manual simply insert the 1/2 inch ratchet which i think is a pain , looks like previous attempts have fouled the square hole{ what a silly idea} , anyway i cant get the damn thing off , i am turning it anti-clockwise, im sure this is correct , for now disappointed ,
any tips ??????????????

YNOT
7th February 2011, 08:29 PM
I thought it was a 3/8 hole myself but doesn't matter if the hole is already damaged. Try putting a strap type filter tool around the outside of the housing.
It's a standard RH thread so you're trying to turn it the right way.

Tony

Pete's GU3
7th February 2011, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the quick reply Tony , i might run into the workshop at work { Council } see if they can loosen it, then i will take it from there , bloody tight though.......

Pete's GU3
11th February 2011, 07:46 PM
All good , workshop loosened it for me , they used a larger ratchet with an extension on it for more leverage , took it home , dumped the oil , changed the filter too good even sounds better , one job down , now for the next.............................................. ..............

Ben-e-boy
12th February 2011, 06:36 PM
hi

you need one of these. they work pretty well they grip the outside of the filter and fit a half inch drive

Pete's GU3
14th February 2011, 08:50 PM
might have to get one ben...probably at the auto shop i imagine...looks like it will remove the filter a lot easier.......

thanks

Ben-e-boy
15th February 2011, 08:11 PM
might have to get one ben...probably at the auto shop i imagine...looks like it will remove the filter a lot easier.......

thanks

yeah any auto shop should have them